This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's drain cleaner!!

So I'm having...uhh...issues with the nether plumbing. I've been given some medicine called Lactulose. Haven't had to take liquid medicine for quite some time, reminds me of younger times.

This stuff comes in a bottle that emulates those that drain cleaner comes in!! You know, rigid plastic with a built-in handle. It's sweet but it tastes like burnt yoghurt...I guess that's the milk sugar in it...and it's so thick it makes me gag! XP

I'm glad the stuff is only icky to take though, it seems to be making things more comfortable and otherwise doesn't have any nasty side effects showing. So that's good. And I'm sure burnt yoghurt drain cleaner isn't the nastiest-to-take oral medicine out there, so I guess I'm lucky in that aspect.

Anyone else have icky medicine-taking stories? I remember a formulation aimed at kids that was flavoured with oranges, but it was too sour...too much flavouring...
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

3 words. Cod Liver Oil. My mom forced us to take that when we were kids. It really "moved the mail"...lol.

Comment

I've had to give many patients nasty medications. Usually they're lucky and it's a few tablespoons, so I tell them to take it like a shot of alcohol and I have some water to chase it with. One guy had to take a LOT of stuff (like half a cup?) that smelled like rotten eggs and tasted worse. We mixed it with grape juice but he still grimaced the whole time.

Comment

As a kid, bubble gum flavored amoxicillin. I had to take that stuff so much they actually used me as a test subject for new flavors.

Comment

Quoth 24601
          bubble gum flavored amoxicillin
          I totally didn't mind that stuff. I was actually really sad when I had to start swallowing amoxicillin.
          Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
          Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

I remember having a banana-flavoured medicine for when I was sick. Rather thin and pale yellow. I've no idea what drug it was...
            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Once when I was a child (nine maybe?), my brother and I were suffering from yet another bout of strep throat and complaining about the "grape flavored" medicine we had to take. My dad got sick of us complaining about the taste of it and said "It can't be that bad". With that, he stuck his thumb over the top of the bottle turned it over and then licked his thumb to taste it. The face he made was priceless. His comment was something along the lines of "That tastes like shit". He then proceeded to tell us we could have a can of pop to wash it down with and left the room.

Comment

When I was a child, all medicines for children, if they were flavored at all, were cherry flavored. Because ALL children just LOVE cherry!

Except me. Can't stand the stuff.
                Women can do anything men can.
                But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                Maxine

Comment

There's one medicine I cannot stand, just because of the smell:

Kaflex (or however it is spelled). That stuff REEKS. It is used for certain kinds of infections (kidney or urinary tract IIRC).

On the flipside, I will concur with Amoxicillin. That stuff was awesome. My daughter had to take it once and whenever my wife or I said "time for medicine" our daughter would run in and want to chug it.
                  Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

It may be that I had several types of flavor, since I was on it for almost a year straight. I remember testing them and having to tell my mom which I likes most. The smell still turns my stomach.

Comment

The smell of promethazine syrup makes me gag. Probably because it literally bounces on my stomach.

I've never taken it, but I can't stand the smell of tussionex. And it looks like orange juice that's gone way off.
                      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Back in the 60s there were still a fair number of meds that had liquorice as part of the flavoring because it 'is sweet and covers the bitter flavor of medication' <insert vomit smiley> I absolutely detest the flavor, and even if something has a little bit of the flavor like anise, celery leaf, angelica it is nauseating to me. I also overdosed on St Joseph's raspberry flavored baby aspirin, so I detest raspberry flavored anything.

Never liked gum, so I don't like bubblegum flavoring, and the nasty nasty fluoride tray tooth treatment was sheer torture until my dentist got grape and cherry flavors in.

I learned to swallow pills *very* young [about 6 years old] to avoid the nasty kids liquid meds. I could swallow 8-10 pills of assorted sizes at a single time by the time I was 10. I spent a fair amount of hospital time, I got pneumonia every winter and was active and tended to break bones doing stupid shit like falling out of trees =)
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Prednisone.

HATE. How nasty, bitter and awful. And if you so much get as a little bit of the outer coating of the pill on your tongue, it clings. Had to chug several glasseso f water to get the edge off. Dear Lord.

I heard people say that tramadol was nasty, but it was a breeze compared to prednisone.

I'm one of those weird people that don't mind the taste of "Nobittussin" too much. I used to lick the bottom of the dosage cup. I don't ever really recall taking any medicines I hated as a kid. Except for prednisone last year and this year. Oh *shudder*
                          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                            3 words. Cod Liver Oil. My mom forced us to take that when we were kids. It really "moved the mail"...lol.
                            hahaha I have such a 10 year old sense of humor
                            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

My mom had to take Lactulose. She had a designated shot glass for it. Horrid stuff she said.

Kid meds are the reason why I can't stand ANYTHING that is "grape" flavored. Like grapes and grape juice, but grape drink, grape candy, grape "foods" are the grossest things ever to me. And Cherry flavor is nothing like cherry. I was sad that by the time they brought out the orange flavored stuff I was just getting to be too old for kid medicine.

And Amoxicillian bubble gum flavor stuff was the greatest ever! <_< >_> I think this stuff is the greatest reason why meds should be kid proof. Like someone else said before, I would want to just drink it out of the bottle for no reason

Comment

Working...
                              X