Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interstate : in the form I-## (1?-2 digits). Even numbers run E-W, odds run N-S. Crosses a state line at some point. Seldom, if ever, have lights.
    I've seen it once. Well, not exactly lights. Well, more like a mandatory toll booth separating the toll portion from a free portion.

(yes, I was thinking 'doctor 10' when I wrote that)

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
      This happens more often than it should on a curve on I-25 over in the UNM/Sunport area. Would it suprise anyone that the idiot is always drunk?

Traffic lights on a highway? I've never seen that before.

I-280,which runs between I-75 and I-80 in Ohio,used to have a traffic light on it AND a draw bridge on it .... The traffic light got replaced about 15 - 20 years ago.. the Draw bridge was replaced in the last 5 years.
      Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

My first husband killed someone that way.

She was pushing her bike in the highway between the town he lived in and the town I lived in. He never even saw her until the bike hit his windshield.

He was 19. She was 15.

Tragic.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
          I was on my way to work one morning, and some idiot got hit by an Amtrak train Seems the guy was on the tracks, had his iPod going...and didn't hear the horns. I have tracks (Norfolk Southern and CSX) 5 and 10 miles from home...yet I can hear them. How the hell he couldn't hear the constant blast of horns, plus get the vibration from the locomotive bearing down on him, I don't know. Killed instantly.
          We get some of those here, too. I have yet to figure out how they don't feel the train coming.

We also, out away from towns/cities where the crossings don't have gates, neighbors decide to cop a squat in their truck, one going each direction, and have a chat. Somehow managed to get hit by the Rail Runner. And one of the families sued the state that somehow it was the train's fault?

Quoth Shalom View Post
          Not so sure he didn't hear him; people have used railroads to commit suicide before. I guess it depends on whether he was crossing the tracks, in which case it boils down to what Bujold called "death by stupidity", or walking along them, which would point to a deliberate act.
          Well, yeah, it's a deliberate act, just not necessarily suicide. It's the easiest way to walk from one place to the next and not get lost in middle of big-ass, lightly populated New Mexico.
          Last edited by Pagan; 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM.
          It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
            Well, yeah, it's a deliberate act, just not necessarily suicide. It's the easiest way to walk from one place to the next and not get lost in middle of big-ass, lightly populated New Mexico.
            But can't they walk beside the track, rather than on it? That way they don't get lost, but they don't get pancaked either.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
              But can't they walk beside the track, rather than on it? That way they don't get lost, but they don't get pancaked either.
              Depends on the tracks.

I've got tracks that I've walked as a shortcut (and safety issue due to no sidewalks in an industrial area), and in some places the brush grows up right to the edge of the tracks.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                You're assuming they're bright enough and/or sober enough to figure this out. We've got a big problem with drunks doing stupid things in the state.

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                Depends on the tracks.

I've got tracks that I've walked as a shortcut (and safety issue due to no sidewalks in an industrial area), and in some places the brush grows up right to the edge of the tracks.

^-.-^
                That's not a problem here. The only place you get any sort of vegetation close to the tracks is in populated areas. Not way out in the desert.
                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                X