This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh, you want bad NJ circles? Try this little number:

It's at the intersection of two highways; the one going NW to SE is a major, heavy-traffic-at-all-times-of-day highway. The entire thing is two lanes, but THE CIRCLE IS NOT STRIPED. My husband, an engineer, had to send photo evidence of this to the Department of Transportation before they would approve a blueprint of his 'because he didn't show the stripes in the circle'.

His boss, a certified traffic engineer, has a standing offer to the DoT to redesign the entire thing for free if they'll fix it, it's THAT bad.
    It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
      Beat this one. seven, count em, 7 streets and no light. Years ago their weren't even STOP signs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...title&resnum=1
      How would you even begin to put a light on that monstrosity of an intersection?

I think this one needs to be redesigned a lot more than LadyAndreca's does. At least hers begins to make some sense.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Not a traffic circle ... but I put forth The Can of Worms
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

accounting drone, I've actually been through the can of worms... it sucks...

then again, salt lake does have the oh so lovely spaghetti bowl, with 3 freeways (15, 80, 201) and depending on who you ask 3 or 4 major arterial streets (West Temple, 1300 South, 2100 South, and some would include 900 West)
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            Not a traffic circle ... but I put forth The Can of Worms
            I present to you the original spaghetti junction.

I love roundabouts, however we're getting more and more street furniture and road markings with them now; traffic lights, feeder lanes, box junctions, you name it it'll be found on a roundabout somewhere!

Oh, and the smaller versions that are just paint, they're helpfully called mini roundabouts, but the rules remain the same (other than the additional rule that you must go around the painted circle and not over it unless the length of your vehicle prevents you from doing so).
            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

We've got a few of those around here. Actually, there's a page dedicated to Los Angeles County interchanges over HERE.

The East LA interchange is quite a doozy. I try to aviod it entirely, if possible. And the 105/110 interchange has the added fun of also being a Metro Green Line station, as the Green Line runs along the center of the 105.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                How would you even begin to put a light on that monstrosity of an intersection?

I think this one needs to be redesigned a lot more than LadyAndreca's does. At least hers begins to make some sense.

^-.-^
                They have talked about re designing it but all the roads that enter are heavily traveled roadways. They think they have plan to make it better to travel through then can't find a way do do construction without creating miles of traffic jams on each road. A minor accident, espically if PD gets involved, has been know to create "breaking news" type events if it occurs during rush hour.

Comment

Quoth mattm04 View Post
                  Beat this one. seven, count em, 7 streets and no light. Years ago their weren't even STOP signs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...title&resnum=1
                  I see your 7 streets and raise you 5 more

The Arch de Triumph in Paris is surounded by a 12 road, 6 lane round-a-bout.

They have a accident on it approx every 90 seconds (mostly fender benders) We went round it on a tour bus late a night with very little traffic, still scared the heck out of us
                  "When did you get a gold plated toilet?"
                  "We don't have a gold plated toilet"
                  "Oh dear, I think I just peed in your Tuba"

-Jasper Fforde

Comment

Working...
                  X