This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth ditchdj View Post
    Maybe you should mail that jerkoff a copy of the state's driver's manuel. When you're on the on-ramp onto a highway it's up to YOU to find the spot to get on, not the vehicles on the highway already at full speed.
    Actually, if someone is in a merge lane that is ending, the traffic in that lane is required to make reasonable accommodation to let you in.

That doesn't mean you can floor it till the lane ends and expect a spot to open up for you before you leave the road, but if you are having trouble (or are too stupid) to get all the way up to freeway speed before the lane ends, the people in it have to let you in.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
      Actually, if someone is in a merge lane that is ending, the traffic in that lane is required to make reasonable accommodation to let you in.

That doesn't mean you can floor it till the lane ends and expect a spot to open up for you before you leave the road, but if you are having trouble (or are too stupid) to get all the way up to freeway speed before the lane ends, the people in it have to let you in.

^-.-^
      Not in Massachusetts, but I know laws differ from state to state, so I skimmed the California Drivers Handbook and I couldn't find that rule. Here's what it has to say about the right of way when merging:

"Freeway traffic has the right of way."

There is no mention of an exception for running out of room.

In a section dedicated to the right of way in general it says this:

"Never assume other drivers will give you the right of way."

As a general rule of thumb I can't argue with that. It's excellent advice.

Here's the link.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/driver_handbook_toc.htm
      Last edited by Dips; 07-20-2009, 08:00 PM.
      The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Woo! Reckon you'll get any change out of six million dollars*?

Rapscallion

*adjust for inflation at your peril...
        It would be nice, but I'm not going to hold my breath! Bills have topped $200,000 so far. Plus lawyer. Plus pain and suffering. Plus another $150K+ in surgeries to come.

Thank goodness my Karma account is in good standing!
        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I am a truck driver.And I often am disgusted by some of the stupid things I see my fellow truckers doing.I am also often amazed by the absolute stupidity of the people driving 4 wheelers.

Do truckers sometimes push to hard and drive over tired. Yes (so do car drivers)

Do truckers cut people off,tail gate,and drive like jerks. Yes (so do car drivers)

Unfortunately when truckers do it, the consequences can be much more devastating if we screw up.The main problem with trucks is that there are people behind the wheel. And some of them are Jerks (same with cars). If we all tried to show a little courtesy on the road, things will be a lot better out there.

Thanks
          “We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.”

Comment

Working...
          X