This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bicyclists in dark clothing . . .

Forty years ago, it was. Young girl, fourteen years old, goes looking for her dad who's out drinking. They live in a rural area, so when she starts home she winds up pushing her bike on a two-lane state highway. After dark.

A young man not much older than her is on his way up that two-lane state highway to take his fiancée out on a date. He didn't even see her until her bike hit his windshield.

She died at the scene. My first husband had nightmares almost every night until we divorced twelve years later.

What a price to pay for not thinking.

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
      A young man not much older than her [...]

My first husband had nightmares almost every night until we divorced twelve years later.
      Forgive me for asking, but was your first husband the young man?
      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Yup. It absolutely devastated him, even though nobody (including the girl's family) blamed him.

Comment

Quoth minchazo View Post
          ... a BOOK! I was dumbfounded to watch her lick her finger and turn the page...
          [ditto Shalom]
          I've seen newspapers on several occasions. On the expressway. At speed, not stop 'n' go.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
            "You mothers...!"
            Now my skin is crawling. But yeah, this is a pretty accurate representation of my home town. Except those folks aren't in a long enough row, and they aren't in the street.

I would also give honorable mention to some guy who had a souped up motorized cart and could be seen in the bike lane scaring the crap out of everyone. This was all kinds of illegal, of course.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              [ditto Shalom]
              I've seen newspapers on several occasions. On the expressway. At speed, not stop 'n' go.
              I was once traveling on I94 WB between Detroit and Ann Arbor, and got stuck in the left lane behind a guy who was cruising at speeds between 60 mph - 75 mph. Nothing consistent, either, though he seemed to be aware enough of traffic that every time I tried to pull out and go around him, he'd speed up.

He was apparently reading something, too--I finally saw him look over and down at something on the passenger seat. Why the hell couldn't he have done that when we were passing the M-39 speedtrap?

(And given the high probability of him being headed for Detroit Metro, why the heck didn't he just read on the plane?)
              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Working...
              X