This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
    He'd often rev up his engine in the school parking lot--probably trying to impress the girls--for several minutes at the end of a school day before actually leaving.
    Sooooo he suffers from LDS? You know, "Little Richard" Syndrome?

I got annoyed one day and said to him, "You do know that all you're doing is loudly wasting gas, right?" He actually started to argue that cars only use gas when they are moving, but as he was speaking, he realized that was wrong and just gave me that confused, rapid-blinking look for a bit.
    Cars only use gas when they're moving? It must be nice to live in his world

He didn't stop revving up as a means of showing off; he did change to doing it only when stopped in traffic (red lights, stop signs, etc.) instead of just idling in a parking lot.
    Did he have a "loud pipes save lives" sticker anywhere on the vehicle? Revving your engine--either in a car or on a bike--isn't saving lives at all. No, (to quote a friend), it's annoying the ever living fuck out of everyone else in traffic
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      Sooooo he suffers from LDS? You know, "Little Richard" Syndrome?
      A lot of them do around these parts. It's quite laughable, actually.

Cars only use gas when they're moving? It must be nice to live in his world
      Another one who thinks he's cute trying to sound so intelligent and enlightened, only to look like the biggest douchebag on the block?

Did he have a "loud pipes save lives" sticker anywhere on the vehicle? Revving your engine--either in a car or on a bike--isn't saving lives at all. No, (to quote a friend), it's annoying the ever living fuck out of everyone else in traffic
      Unless you have a HEMI under the hood or you're riding a Harley, STFU, take your tail, tuck it between your legs and go slither back under your rock and stay there.

Don't mind hearing either of those being revved . . . if you're driving a little shitbox w/a sound system that we only hear vibration and every other word is a racial slur or obscene, again you need to STFU. You are not big and bad . . . you are a JOKE.

And I will sit and point and laugh at you. And I will post online about how ridiculous you are.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I quite like the sound of an old school V8 rumbling away, mainly because I grew up with my parents driving a Holden Kingswood from '76. But people who rev to show off deserve to be laughed at.

I used to laugh when the police would be doing a road worthy operation on a particular street popular with the fast and furious wannabe crowd. Even better when it was a joint operation with the EPA (Environment Protection Authority). Cops would get them for illegal modifications and EPA would get them for the excess pollution caused by the illegal modifications. Just picture a largish carpark full of hotted up cars with great big defect stickers on the windscreens.

Tow truck drivers would always make a killing on those nights and the next morning.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

If I'm revving in a parking lot, it's not to show off, it's cus I just started the car, turned on the AC, and it needs a boost to get cooling quicker!
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Yes, he sat under the roof of the pull around for 5 minutes revving as people came out of the theater. As protege said: LDS.

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
              I quite like the sound of an old school V8 rumbling away, mainly because I grew up with my parents driving a Holden Kingswood from '76. But people who rev to show off deserve to be laughed at.
              I don't mind an old V8 rumbling away. But, at least here, why is it that every older V8 sounds like it's about to throw a rod? But, it could be worse--the Honduh crowd seems to enjoy installing fart cans on their exhausts. I never understood that--it doesn't sound "fast" or "powerful." It's still an economy-car engine, but now sounds annoying. Give me the howl of glass-packs on a 1960s B-series any day

Also, to the guys driving Smart cars--unless you have the Hayabusa or Brabus conversion (which I'm sure you don't), get lost. Nobody is going to take that thing seriously when you start revving its nuts off at the nearest light. I mean, those cars can't even get out of their own way...let alone drag race

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                The Honduh crowd seems to enjoy installing fart cans on their exhausts. I never understood that--it doesn't sound "fast" or "powerful." It's still an economy-car engine, but now sounds annoying.
                Back when I had my previous car ('93 Excel), it "ate" a muffler every couple years. I joked about how, the next time that happened, instead of replacing the muffler I'd stick a coffee can with both ends removed over the exhaust.

The "tuner" crowd seems to love putting strings of Kanji (Japanese) characters on their cars. If I win the lottery, I'd love to get a bunch of Kanji decals made up, and "lose" sets of them (complete with made-up receipt) at tuner shows. Of course, THESE decals would say "My 5 year old sister keeps asking 'Is it in yet?'"

Quoth protege View Post
                Also, to the guys driving Smart cars-- Nobody is going to take that thing seriously when you start revving its nuts off at the nearest light.
                What nuts? Daimler Urban Mobile Boxes are the geldings of the automotive world.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                  truck is blasting music with the bass up so loud I can feel it in my teeth. You want people to know that you... What, can buy a stereo system worth more than your truck? Okay...
                  I am forever sarcastically saying "Ooooh, I'm so impressed by your ability to BUY SPEAKERS. Please, let me be the mother to your children!"
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Now would probably be a good time for me to mention I purchased a different vehicle last week. 2012 Honda Civic HF, just under 37,000 miles. Maybe I'll post a pic sometime. I dunno; I'm lazy.

Anyhow, this was brought about by my old car having a very random tendency to start weakly, idle roughly, and stall at stop lights or signs. Took it in to my mechanic; he couldn't find anything wrong with it.

But as an attempt to prevent the damn thing from stalling, I ended up shifting into neutral anytime the car was doing that, and revving the engine while stopped at the light/sign. And then I ended up getting rid of the car.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      What nuts? Daimler Urban Mobile Boxes are the geldings of the automotive world.
                      Still though, they can out-drag an 80-year-old on a Schwinn

I never understood the appeal of those things. They don't get all that great mileage for their size and you can't carry anything bigger than a duffel bag. Plus, you can get a real car (a base-model Hyundai starts under the most expensive Dumb Car's price) that is bigger, and will blow its doors off.

Comment

Quoth protege View Post

I never understood the appeal of (Smart cars).
                        Because driving one makes you an enlightened, caring, compassionate, socially and environmentally-conscious person, and you don't mind letting the world know that.

That's the only reason to drive a Smart car. The only one.
                        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                          Because driving one makes you an enlightened, caring, compassionate, socially and environmentally-conscious person, and you don't mind letting the world know that.

That's the only reason to drive a Smart car. The only one.
                          I dunno. Maybe they think if the whole "compensating for something" axiom is true, then the reverse is also true.

"Yeah, I drive a Smart car. Imagine how much I'm carrying downstairs!"

EDIT: To quote Top Gear--

Clarkson: Well, because we're always being told that the flashness of your car is inversely proportionate to the size ... is this right, am I talking sense here, girls? So the larger the man's car, the flasher it is, the vegetable ... thing goes on.
                          May: Is that right?
                          Clarkson: Yeah.
                          May: And you're saying that to a man with a 1.2 liter Fiat Panda. (audience laughs) Mr. Swollen-Wheel-Arches-Mercedes-CLK-Black.
                          Hammond: He has a point there, he does...
                          Clarkson: (to Hammond) You've got a Ford Mustang.
                          Hammond: (quickly) Let's move on.
                          Last edited by Jay 2K Winger; 08-09-2015, 07:27 PM.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Isn't one reason to buy a smart car (or any super tiny vehicle) so you might be able to find parking in scary crowded cities?

I was just remembering a relative of mine who has a midsize SUV that he did something to so it's really loud. When I first heard it I had no idea this was on purpose and I said "what's wrong with your car?"
                            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I'm afraid to ride in a "Smart" car, given how utterly psycho the "drivers" are in this area. I prefer to have something SOLID around me for my own safety, TYVM.
                              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                                I'm afraid to ride in a "Smart" car, given how utterly psycho the "drivers" are in this area. I prefer to have something SOLID around me for my own safety, TYVM.
                                This is my approach too.
                                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                                X