This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Overtime is Normaltime

I've posted this before, but would like to see more thoughts on it.
    Do any of you have jobs that require you to work lots of overtime? Based on the 40-hour 5-day work week, that is. And if you do, how do you feel about it?
    In the mid 90's, I went through a heavy overtime period. This was caused because many employees took buyouts our company offered, and traffic volumes went up. It was a really bad period, for me.

When I was in retail, I worked just shy of seventy hours a week every week, though there was no overtime rate. Sucked, but there were plenty of SCs to amuse myself with.

Now I have a real job (as such), I find it difficult to cut down. I do far more in the time I am at work than I used to, so my normal week is about fifty-two hours. I got away with forty-six this week, which was astounding - I only did a half day on Saturday (not much to do, it was a voluntary day anyway, and I had work to do here).

I even had the coordinator of the Saturday crew apologise to me for there being no work to do, but I think a lower hour working week is something I could do with once in a while.

It's not that bad for me, since I do get a variety of desk and manual work.

Rapscallion

Comment

When I used to work at Wal Mart I would often work over sixty hours a week with one or no days off a week even though I was officially part time. It wouldn't have been a big deal if this was optional but it wasn't.

Management at Target was better about overtime, they rarely forced it anyone. There was a problem with management not giving employees their lunches and breaks for a while, but they got fined big time.
      Last edited by Ringtail Z28; 07-10-2006, 02:25 AM.
      "I don't have an anger problem I have an idiot problem!" - Hank Hill

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run around in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Comment

When I was doing subassemblies on medical equipment, at the end of fiscal quarters, end of fiscal year, and the dreaded inventory, it wasn't unusual to work at least 55 hours a week. I miss that money.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

At my store the motto seems to be "Death Before Overtime" this time of year. They strictly keep track of how many hours you have in a week and you only get overtime if it is absolutely necessary. Otherwise, you have to go home early when you hit 40 hours for the week, even if you still have things to do that day.

I had 15 minutes of overtime on my last check, due to us overnighters staying a little late to finish a truck, but it's not really a big deal. Last year, third shift was required to work 6 nights a week during our remodel and the Christmas rush, so they got a lot of overtime. I don't think I would like that too much, even though it would be a lot of money. I'm having a hard enough time working overnights even when it's only 5 nights a week.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

My typical work week is 70 to 80 hours. My all time record -- so far -- is just shy of 110.

Such are the joys of being part of the family in a family-owned business.
            "Who is this preposterous snob?"

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion
              When I was in retail, I worked just shy of seventy hours a week every week, though there was no overtime rate. Sucked, but there were plenty of SCs to amuse myself with.
              Rapscallion
              holy camole Raps, even if I was a sucky customer I would be WAY to terrified to be rude to you

hulking people terrify me (and i mean hulking in the nice way) I would be lucky to even squeak....
              I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I am on salary, and typically work anywhere from 45 to 55 hours a week actually in the office, and occasionally put in time at home too. I work as much as need be to get the job done, and mostly I don't mind, because if we are having a slow patch, I know the boss will let me leave early/take a long lunch/etc.
                Zee website has been *UPDATED*

Comment

I never had to put in overtime (heck, I never even got over 23 hours a week), but my dad works for a rather incompetent "sports parent" manager who is always taking off at 2 or 3 in the afternoon to go to something (I don't chastise him for being involved in his kids life, but he's one of those overbearing parents that people write books about). Anyway, my dad will end up with 65+ hours in a week and the company has him on a "sliding scale". The more overtime he works, the less he gets paid (sometimes $4 or less per hour of overtime). I didn't even think that was legal. Then again, I'm not so well versed in labor laws either
                  "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Comment

You should tell your dad to call his state labor board..or go on line and check out the state laws and federal. I honestly believe it is illegal to go below the national minimum wage unless it is waiter/waitress work or certain "beginning pay" for 14/15 yr olds, federal minimum wage is $5.15 per hour. Like I said, check up on that..I don't believe it is legal at all.

I looked it up for you..http://employeeissues.com/federal_labor_laws.htm
                    Last edited by jnd4rusty; 07-10-2006, 04:35 AM.

Comment

I never get overtime. Well, I work overtime, but I don't get paid time and a half, like it says I should get in things like labour law in my province.

First, an 8 hour shift is only 7.5 hours actually on the clock, due to the 30 minute lunch. But, sometimes they schedule us for 9 hour shifts (I have one next week), and give us an hour long lunch to make it 8 hours so they don't have to pay a decent wage. BUT here's the kicker. First, us cashiers are required to be at our checkouts 5 minutes before our shift starts, so in one of these 9 hour shifts we are already at 5 minutes overtime. Also, it usually takes us around 10-20 minutes to clock out, depending on the person, experience, etc, so for these shifts, we at least work 15 minutes of overtime. Also, if we are closing, we have to put away all the returns and crap found lying around the checkouts, which usually takes another 15 minutes, so we can be up to a half hour a day in overtime in which we are not being paid time and a half.

Also, twice in the last couple weeks while working in the back, I was told to stay a few minutes to finish something off. Will I get overtime? In my dreams.

And, one week I was scheduled to work around 45 hours. This was the first time I was scheduled for overtime, so I figured I would get 5 hours of overtime on my paycheck... nope, 2 weeks, 84.something hours, all at regular pay. I talked to my manager about it 5 times and never got a reply. Eventually I just gave up because I realized that I was never going to get it.

And that is the overtime policy where I work. Nobody has ever heard of it.
                      free from the evil clutches of crappy tire

Comment

Quoth Kiwi
                        holy camole Raps, even if I was a sucky customer I would be WAY to terrified to be rude to you

hulking people terrify me (and i mean hulking in the nice way) I would be lucky to even squeak....
                        Heh - hulking and working with large sharp knives.

I couldn't do it in my current job, though. Far too busy there - the old place allowed me to lounge around for hours on end when there was no work to do.

My longest shift was thirty-six hours getting turkeys ready for christmas. Again, that's with knives.

I fell over asleep quickly after that, and I stank like a turkey for days.

Rapscallion

Comment

My managers are good about not letting anyone go over 40 hours a week, but that's because they get a bonus if the hours for the staff is good. When people work over time (lol, time and a half of three bucks an hour for servers is a joke), it takes away from the bonus that they get. My managers don't make a whole lot, they get salaried, not hourly, and sometimes, in the course of a year, servers can make way more money than the managers (but not the same kind of benefits or experience). I did two 40 hour weeks in a row last summer because we were shorthanded and didn't have enough hostesses. Yeah that's not much compared to some of you, but boy was I sick of the place by the time my next day off came around!
                          Love is admiration without envy, familiarity without contempt, and chocolate without asking.

Comment

Overtime

When I was teaching, I usually put in a 50 hour week. Around the end of the marking period, it was usually more than that, though I don't remember how much more. It's hard to keep accurate count, since a lot of it was done at home. The one nice thing was that the hours I was *required* to be at school were less than 8. So it was up to me whether to come early, stay late, or take work home. Most of the time, I ended up doing all three and spending most of the weekend doing lesson plans, but if I was going away for the weekend, I could at least leave right at three on a Friday.

I *think* that if I'd stayed at it a couple more years, I'd have gotten a better routine down and been able to do what I needed in less time. (Since my fellow teachers appeared to have social lives and did manage to raise families.) But, I was too burnt out after the second year to stay with it.

Here, no overtime, unless a specific contract okays it. (We do contracting work for the government, and they don't seem to like to pay for overtime.) So the general thing that happens is if we work extra hours in a pay, trying to meet a deadline or whatever, we can leave early some other day that pay, to even it out.

Comment

At the factory I work at, there is mandatory overtime and there is voluntary overtime.

Each department is different and has different mandatory overtime requirements (as in how many hours on what week of each month, etc etc). It all depends on where you work in the factory. In my department, you have to do 8 hours of overtime every.......I forgot which weekend of the month, but it's one of them lol. They don't make you do the mandatory overtime until you feel you are ready, or you've been there for a month or more.

The voluntary overtime is when there are shifts where they are missing people or they need extra people in different areas. You can sign up for it, but it's not required.

My parents told me that doing more than 10-15 hours of overtime isn't worth it, because it all comes out in taxes and your checks aren't really that much bigger.
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X