Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another reason to hide your portable GPS when you're not in your car..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason to hide your portable GPS when you're not in your car..

Rumor has it that thieves are targetting cars in parking lots with portable GPS systems in them (TomTom etc..).

They break into the car, turn it on and turn on the GPS. Then, they go into the GPS and click on the "HOME" button and drive your car home and then rob your home while you're at the mall.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Lol, that's pretty innovative. I don't have a home set for my GPS though so that wouldn't be an issue. Besides, with the amount of theft of them as it is, why would you leave it in plain sight?
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
      Lol, that's pretty innovative. I don't have a home set for my GPS though so that wouldn't be an issue. Besides, with the amount of theft of them as it is, why would you leave it in plain sight?
      You wouldn't believe how many people leave them stuck on their windshields I've also noticed that the richer the area is, the more GPSs left in windshields.

I tried counting once on my way form my parking spot to the mall in Wellington once, I lost count.
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

It's always worthwhile to check Snopes first.

However...

My sister's car was broken into in Philly this weekend, in broad daylight, while she was off for a run in the safest area of the city. Her GPS was stolen...though she had forgotten it was in the car. It was hidden in the glove box.

She thinks it was either the out of state plates or the medical school decal that attracted the thief. Which is stupid, because, well, she's a med student. All her money goes to that. She doesn't have any just sitting in the car.

Comment

Wait, why would they need a gps system to rob a house?
          Houses are not hard to find, they are all over the place.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post

However...

My sister's car was broken into in Philly this weekend, in broad daylight, while she was off for a run in the safest area of the city. Her GPS was stolen...though she had forgotten it was in the car. It was hidden in the glove box.

She thinks it was either the out of state plates or the medical school decal that attracted the thief. Which is stupid, because, well, she's a med student. All her money goes to that. She doesn't have any just sitting in the car.
            Did she still have the ring from the suction cup on her windshield? They target cars with the holder in place or suction cup rings.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
              Wait, why would they need a gps system to rob a house?
              Houses are not hard to find, they are all over the place.
              Because if the car is parked away from the house you know that said house is empty, this gives you a bit more time to look for the valuables.

In addition it gives you something to cart away the loot in!

Two other things of note
              1) Remove the damn sucker rings from your windscreen.
              2) Turn off your bluetooth if your GPS/SatNav has it enabled.

Both are used by thieves to target cars.

It goes without saying that you should be taking the cradle/charging cable out with you too.

If I park in a less lovely place than usual I empty the glovebox and the cubby holes, then leave them open to show that there is nothing in the car and no reason to smash the window.
              A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

My GPS is always in my pocket. I love my HTC Touch Pro... <3
                When will the fantasy end? When will the heaven begin?

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                  Rated as "partially true" and it did happen - but they stole their other car and didn' break into the house.
                  Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Quoth Slayergrrl View Post
                    Did she still have the ring from the suction cup on her windshield? They target cars with the holder in place or suction cup rings.
                    Nope. She's very careful about that. She lives in a miserable area of Philadelphia, and even though she can't navigate her way out of a paper bag, she rarely needs it when she's home. So she usually brings the whole thing up to the apartment.

She didn't even realize the GPS was gone until she was home after submitting the police report. Ended up having to call and amend the report.

According to a few of her friends, that parking lot is a common target for thieves. They think it has something to do with the med school decals, because none of them have good cars...my sister's is my old car, a 96 Accord with multiple problems (though it still works, and gets her where she needs to go), one of her friends has an 89 Civic, and the third has a 00 Dodge.

Yes, I know the Snopes article says partially true, but they have a few other similar stories that say hoax. So I don't think it's really common enough to be something to worry about. Especially considering most people don't set their GPS with a "home" address, at least not one labeled home. I think. I don't know anyone who does, at least.

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                      She lives in a miserable area of Philadelphia, and even though she can't navigate her way out of a paper bag, she rarely needs it when she's home.
                      That is the advantage to living in a city laid out on a grid. Although you get some really odd intersections when to get to a place where Philly's eaten a small town as it grows.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                        Yes, I know the Snopes article says partially true, but they have a few other similar stories that say hoax. So I don't think it's really common enough to be something to worry about. Especially considering most people don't set their GPS with a "home" address, at least not one labeled home. I think. I don't know anyone who does, at least.
                        Both GPS units I've had asked me to enter a "home" address (one was a Magellan and the other is a TomTom).

I kinda like it because, even though I don't need it to get home once I'm on the highway or a familiar road, it's nice to know about how long it'll take me to get home (and when I'll get there). It's also a great help for alternate routes, if the highway is closed or backed up, places I may want to stop on the way back (food etc..) especially on long trips.
                        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

hmmm i dont remember if i put "home" as my home in the gps, but mine's a handheld and not a car-unit. i should get some geocaching done tho... been putting it off

Comment

Working...
                          X