Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We can use your work but you can't show us doing that...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can use your work but you can't show us doing that...

That seems to be what Viacom has said to a couple people. They own VH1 who has a show called "Web Junk 2.0" that goes around looking for clips online and makes little comment about them. Much like "The Soup" does for news and entertainment that is on regular/cable tv.

A guy had his video posted on Web Junk, he was so pleased to see that he snagged the clip of his clip being shown and put it online with his own comments. Viacom said he couldn't do that and that he had to take down his clip.

Anyone else see anything like this?

This link is form techdirt that I found after some link following.

I did a search for this and I didn't find anything. But it is known I have no searching skills so...if a double, I accept my fish slap.

I'm getting a headache just trying to figure it out.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Meh, so what? A TV show told him he can't put footage from their show online. That's ... pretty normal, actually.

Despite the masses of TV show footage online in places like youtube, it is actually against copyright to do so. While their clip showed his video, it also included their work in the commenting and discussion (or whatever) and therefore is their copyright, not his.

What intrigues me most, is doesn't he have a copyright on the video? Can a TV show just grab and use any old video they find online? Does posting a video on a sharing site mean that any network can air that footage without contacting you? I doubt it, actually.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
        What intrigues me most, is doesn't he have a copyright on the video? Can a TV show just grab and use any old video they find online? Does posting a video on a sharing site mean that any network can air that footage without contacting you? I doubt it, actually.
        There's a fairly long and intricate explanation possible.

But it would put me to sleep, and probably kill others. So the short version is "In 99% of cases, you're right, they can't." And frankly, they're probably going to get nailed over it at some point if they're not clearing usage rights.

As for the bit about them asking people to take down clips of them showing clips, Viacom's one of the major sticklers for that. They DMCA more videos than most of everyone else put together, from what I know. Not saying if it's right or wrong. It's their copyright, they have to defend it. It's how it works
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
          Meh, so what? A TV show told him he can't put footage from their show online. That's ... pretty normal, actually.
          He posted a video of the TV show stealing his content without compensating him - then the TV show complained.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I just think that Viacom isn't playing fairly. But my main point for posting this has anyone else heard of other companies also doing this?

Comment

When I first started reading this, I said to myself, "what, again??"

Thing is, while this happens from time to time, this particular incident happend back in 2007, which is why I remember it like I do.

Anyway, eventually, he got his video put back up, since his upload to YouTube was fair use.

Here and here are his next two blogs about the problem, including the resolution and his overall feelings about the situation. He seems to be a fairly level-headed individual, and didn't plan to go after Viacom for making use of his video in the first place, although he may have had a good case against them for using his video.

If you read TechDirt for a while, you begin to see how much of this goes on out there...

Eric the Grey
              In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Working...
              X