This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Still have to shut down the whole damn network every week or two and reboot (at a convenient time for everyone, of course) so it doesn't spontaneously lose all net connectivity during a business day, tho...
    We have to shut down as many servers in our server room as we can over the weekends during the summer. The reason? The company that owns our building turns off the building air conditioner over the weekend and the server room, while it has two massive separate air conditioners, has so many machines in it that the building itself needs to stay below 73 or the server room ACs will not be able to keep up.

Of course, my boss and the guy that is in charge of the server room realized back in December that it was going to be a problem and started requesting a third AC unit be installed. And, as one should expect my company didn't want to pay for a third unit and kept putting off the request. It wasn't until the 4th weekend of having to run around shutting everything off that we finally got approval to put in another unit. Now they have to get special permits to install it. From the looks of it, we won't get the thing installed until the fall, when it's not needed. Did I mention that in early 2010 we're taking over a second server room that has its own AC units and therefore the whole thing will be moot? Thankfully my boss has enough foresight to see that we'll eventually fill up both rooms and will need the extra unit anyways in a couple years so he's still pushing ahead with getting the new unit.

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
      The AS/400, the system I work most on currently, has the ability to predict hard drive failures ahead of time, in some circumstances. I suspect that other mainframes of the IBM variety can as well.

Too bad PC's don't have the cycles to spare for such diagnostics. It could potentially save some headache for the end user if they could.
      Um, Eric? The HP boxes running Windows at all our workstations here at my workplace do the same hard drive check. Not perfect, and sometimes give false positives, but they do run one.

The future is NOW!
      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
        We have to shut down as many servers in our server room as we can over the weekends during the summer. The reason? The company that owns our building turns off the building air conditioner over the weekend and the server room, while it has two massive separate air conditioners, has so many machines in it that the building itself needs to stay below 73 or the server room ACs will not be able to keep up.
        Related issue here. The server room in our office -- and ONLY the server room -- is connected to the main A/C for the building hallways, which is turned off at night and over the weekends...The rest of the office has its own dedicated A/C unit.

>_<

Thus, even tho the boss is in there most of the weekend, having the A/C on in the office doesn't help the servers at all.

Neither does the fact that the ductwork iin the server/file/storage room leaks, on occasion. Naturally, the tile that the water collects on is about 2 feet from the server itself...
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working for a computer company, one of the few things that's taken seriously is the temperature in server rooms. They even have the A/C units in the server rooms hooked up to the emergency power. Very nice stuff.

One place didn't have this set up quite right, though--my office. In the building we worked in last year, we had our own little server room set up with a door into the main office. It normally had its own A/C unit, but it wasn't hooked up to the emergency power. Our office (including A/C) was on emergency power, so in order to keep the server room around 70, we had to keep the air temperature below 65 in the office. It took 2 weeks to get our power restored (after a hurricane), so we spent those two weeks wrapped up in coats, sweaters, blankets and gloves. It was cold!!

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
            so in order to keep the server room around 70, we had to keep the air temperature below 65 in the office. It took 2 weeks to get our power restored (after a hurricane), so we spent those two weeks wrapped up in coats, sweaters, blankets and gloves. It was cold!!
            Bah! Ya wusses! That's our high temperature lately.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
              ...in order to keep the server room around 70, we had to keep the air temperature below 65 in the office.
              Back in my day we didn't have those fancy AC units... we just had to walk the server out into the snow to cool it off.

Ten miles...

Uphill both ways...

Without shoes...

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                Um, Eric? The HP boxes running Windows at all our workstations here at my workplace do the same hard drive check. Not perfect, and sometimes give false positives, but they do run one.

The future is NOW!
                *shrug* I was just pointing out that the technology does exist. Since I don't work that much with UNIX systems (at least on a system level) I don't know as much about them.

Eric the Grey
                In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Geekus Rex View Post
                  Back in my day we didn't have those fancy AC units... we just had to walk the server out into the snow to cool it off.

Ten miles...

Uphill both ways...

Without shoes...

There was some snow here last winter, once. Almost a quarter of an inch!

Comment

Quoth Geekus Rex View Post

Ten miles...

Uphill both ways...

Without shoes...

We hade to freeze the water first, drop by drop, then pour it out on the street and clean it up afterwards, you whippersnapper! (I love saying that word.)
                    http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
                    Melody Gardot

Comment

Quoth Calud View Post
                      We hade to freeze the water first, drop by drop, then pour it out on the street and clean it up afterwards,
                      Luxury! Our father used ta make us go out into the dirt road, lay down the asphalt, wait for it to cool, and THEN freeze the water to make snow, just so we could clean it up. You tell that to kids these days, and they won't believe you.

(cookies for the reference)

you whippersnapper! (I love saying that word.)
                      I actually looked that word up once, yeeears ago, when there was this obnoxious puppet on the afternoon TV shows that always referred to kids this way. I practically 'd when I found the definition:

"cipher. nonentity. worthless thing/person."

"For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        Luxury! Our father used ta make us go out into the dirt road, lay down the asphalt, wait for it to cool, and THEN freeze the water to make snow, just so we could clean it up. You tell that to kids these days, and they won't believe you.
                        Well I had to wake up three hour before I went to sleep, eat a bag a glass for breakfast, work 28 hours down mill, come home, then arrange the individual water molecules into a crystalline structures one molecule at time using a rusty pitchfork, then my dad would thrash us with a knife for three hours before until we died, dig a hole to sleep in, fill it with nails, crawl in, then got up and had to do it all over again. And that was a LUXURY!

Comment

I believe the great and powerful Weird Al said it best:

Quoth Weird Al
                          Let me tell you sonny... let me tell you straight
                          You kids today ain't never had it tough
                          Always had everything handed to you on a silver plate
                          You lazy brats think nothing's good enough

Well, nobody ever drove me to school when it was ninety degrees below
                          We had to walk buck naked through forty miles of snow
                          Worked in the coal mines twenty two hours a day for just half a cent
                          Had to sell my internal organs just to pay the rent

When I was your age. When I was your age

Let me tell you something, you whiny little snot
                          There's something wrong with all you kids today
                          You just don't appreciate all the things you've got
                          We were hungry, broken and miserable and we liked it fine that way

There were seventy three of us living in a cardboard box
                          All I got for Christmas was a lousy bag of rocks
                          Every night for dinner, we had a big 'ol chunk of dirt
                          If we were really good, we didn't get dessert

Didn't have no telephone, didn't have no FAX machine
                          All we had was a couple cans and a crummy piece of string
                          Didn't have no swimming pool when I was just a lad
                          Our neighbor's septic tank was the closest thing we had
                          Didn't have no dental floss, had to use old rusty nails
                          Didn't have Nintendo, we just poured salt on snails
                          Didn't have no water bed, had to sleep on broken glass
                          Didn't have no lawnmower, we used our teeth to cut the grass

What's the matter now, sonny, you say you don't believe this junk?
                          You think my story's wearin' kinda thin?
                          I tell you one thing, I never was such a disrespectful punk
                          Back in my time, we had a thing called discipline

Dad would whoop us every night till a quarter after twelve
                          Then he'd get too tired and he'd make us whoop ourselves
                          Then he'd chop me into pieces and play frisbee with my brain
                          And let me tell ya, Junior, you never heard me complain

Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Working...
                          X