Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One reason is that its better to keep both hands on the wheel when braking. Bad things can happen to traction under those circumstances, just when you least expect it. Also, when you need power, if you're not already in gear you have to take time to select it.

There's also the factor that you can use the engine resistance for a small part of the braking effort, until it reaches idle. That's the reason for using low gears on downhill as well as up. It's possible to put the clutch in and coast, change to a lower gear, and later gently let in the clutch to slow for a turn (and I did this once during a driving lesson).

The "correct" technique for braking is to apply the brake gradually and firmly (rather than jamming it down), and to disengage the clutch when the engine reaches idle (rather than immediately). You can take the opportunity to change gear once you're either stopped or no longer braking.

Comment

I know how, but was instructed to do otherwise. Hey, it was his truck
      Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
        To start up a steep hill, you WILL need to use the handbrake, because you only have two feet and need to operate three controls simultaneously.
        Back in the early '70s, my mother's Fiat 128 didn't need to use the handbrake - she'd release the clutch using her left foot, and the brake using her right foot - and give it some gas using the hand throttle. Of course, once the brake was off, she'd use the gas pedal in the normal manner.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Re the distance thing

When stopped in a line of traffic you should be able to see the tires of the vehicle infront and a small portion of tarmac too before you see the front of your vehicle.

Tires and tarmac people, tires and tarmac

*Source - Roadcraft manual, blue light training.
          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

I remember Dad telling about a feature on the Studebaker they had when he was little called a "hill holder." If I understand rightly, it was a lever on the door that you pulled to make the brake stay on until you let the clutch out, or something like that. I've never seen one, but like the push-button transmission, it sounds like a good idea that didn't make it.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
              I remember Dad telling about a feature on the Studebaker they had when he was little called a "hill holder." If I understand rightly, it was a lever on the door that you pulled to make the brake stay on until you let the clutch out, or something like that. I've never seen one, but like the push-button transmission, it sounds like a good idea that didn't make it.
              That sounds *exactly* like what we call a "handbrake". Except that it's on the centre console behind the gear lever, and has a ratchet to hold it on for parking, too.

*Source - Roadcraft manual, blue light training.
              Funnily enough, I've got an old edition of that. Orange cover, very retro-looking police car, forget when it was published. And still relevant.

Comment

That sounds *exactly* like what we call a "handbrake". Except that it's on the centre console behind the gear lever, and has a ratchet to hold it on for parking, too.
                No, it's more automatic than that.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill-holder

Comment

Funnily enough, I've got an old edition of that. Orange cover, very retro-looking police car, forget when it was published. And still relevant.
                  They're great books - not only for those who are undergoing blue light training but anyone who generally wants to improve their driving skills.
                  A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Yeah, sometimes if the hill is very steep, you might not be able to help rolling back a few inches. Which is why you should always leave room in front of your car.

Or, they could be "balancing" on the clutch (my husband taught me to do this when he taught me to drive stick)...or I should say, PRACTICING balancing on the clutch on the top of a hill.

Comment

Working...
                    X