This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Reply to all" Hell

Web_Pict's Thread reminded me of this one from my second ship.

Every so often one of the newbies on the ship (often called booters) would get the notion to send out an email to ALL HANDS. Sometimes it was a question about lost & found items, sometimes it was someone else hopping onto an unsecure terminal, and sometimes (especially with the very new sailors) it was a religious message.

Regardless of the reason behind the spam-messages, the response was the same - they lost access to the computer system (for a week I believe) and someone in ADP (aka I.T.) explained to them why the email was inappropriate. I can't remember if they had to sign counseling chits but it's possible.

Then a new habit started spreading like wild-fire.... Yelling at the spammers to stop.
    In all caps.
    With disrespectful terminology.
    In a reply-to-all email.

Yes. The people yelling back at the spammers were now the ones spamming. And people yelled at them too, while using reply-to-all.

Finally it was nipped in the bud. And the people yelling back at the spammers found out that it didn't matter why they were yelling or whom they were yelling at. Since they too were spamming the entire ship, they too got punished and had their computer access taken away for a while. I seem to recall a bit of arrogance on their part but... that never stopped ADP from pulling someone's account. Especially since the entire ship (including our Division officer and the Commanding officer) had seen those spam-mails.

in the meantime the rest of us just sat and watched, shaking our heads
    Last edited by PepperElf; 11-30-2010, 03:09 PM.

We get this a lot at work. Some idjit in sales will send an email to a company wide distro instead of looking up the person in the Global Address Book. Then we get everyone and their brother replying to the email with Reply To All and it's either telling them who to speak to, questioning why they got the email, or personal "hey what's up?" type chit chat. What is really bad is when someone higher up says "please stop replying, we'll take care of this." and people STILL reply to all hours or even days later.
    Some People Are Alive Only Because It Is Illegal To Kill Them

Comment

A couple listservs I'm on used to get this a lot (for awhile, I had to switch to digest mode and it wasn't unusual to get a digest of 50+ messages, all replies to spam/erroneous unsub requests).

Just today someone sent 'please unsubscribe me' to the list-wide email address (ironically the unsubscribe address is right at the bottom of all messages)...this time, people resisted replying.
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I've seen this at my job a few times, and the worst offenders seem to be fitness center members, replying to all when a public message is sent out. Last time it happened, the guy who initiated the message even told everyone NOT to "reply to all", and several people did it anyway, even quoting the part about not replying to all.

I was so tempted to tell them to stop replying to all, as some of us had work to do, but I wasn't sure how well that would go over.

The guy in charge of the fitness center eventually learned to "Blind CC" the list so this sort of thing doesn't happen.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This is why I tend not to reply at all to emails at work that are addressed to groups. A lot of them are things I don't even need to know, but replying doesn't stop them from coming.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
          X