This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth bhskittykatt View Post
    We'd probably need a full-size broom for the f250, though.
    Push broom is what we used today on the hubby's F150. It was nice to get out. The standing water sucks. Side streets aren't great but it is getting better.

And the number of idiots who didn't clean off their cars was insane. I wanted to shot darts at them with notes saying clean your dam cars off. This was snow storm was a lot worse since we have a lovely ice layer. It is holding everything together.
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      that also assumes that the cops care.

nothing against LEOs but ... i've seen some cities where I think they wouldn't give a crap... mainly because almost every car on the road was doing it.

i'm not saying it justifies driving like that but... that could overwhelm them.

I KNOW the local law enforcement doesn't care. I have stopped keeping track of how many cars I have seen with just part of the windshield cleaned (every other window just packed with snow) drive past a cop car, and the cop did absolutely nothing.
      And it wasn't a situation of cop going in opposite direction. They were either parked on the side watching traffic go by, or being passed by the snow bandit car.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
        a push broom is your friend....
        I did have one that I used for that purpose, but unfortunately the handle broke. Guess I'll have to get another one, but we've had a stupidly warm winter this year. It's nearly the end of January, & we've only had one minor frost
        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

http://www.king5.com/video?id=137796108&sec=548902

The WSP stated that here it is not illegal to have the snow and ice on the top of your car but if it causes damage you could be responsible.
          "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I miss having a garage.

What I hate the MOST is when it's snowed and you go as gently and peacefully as you can to open your door to not get any snow on the inside......and holy hell there it goes all over your seat! And if you do it too fast, oops, there's a mess too.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Due to a roof rack it is difficult to get all the snow off, but I always make sure all windows are clear and at least no big chucks will fly of the roof.

The worst I have ever seen was a car that must have sat during several of our larger snow storms last year. It mus have had between two and tree feet on the roof, 6-8" on the hood and a portion of the windshield cleared off. When the stopped at a light the whole pile skid forward. When I passed them in the opposite lane the were standing outside the car dumbfounded how that could have happened.

Comment

Just stopping by this thread to note that I tried the push broom trick some of you mentioned and it took me literally just seconds to clear my car off. All of my car. It should be noted I am all of five feet tall, so this idea really helped. Much thanks to whoever mentioned it!
                "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Some jurisdictions (such as New Jersey) are now making it mandatory to clear off snow.

Fun fact #1: OHSA prohibits working more than 4 feet off the ground without either a safety railing or fall-stop gear.
                  Fun fact #2: The roof of a semi-trailer is more than 4 feet off the ground, and is not equipped with either a safety railing or anchor points for fall-stop gear.

This means that it is both mandatory and prohibited to clear the snow off the top of a semi-trailer.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    This means that it is both mandatory and prohibited to clear the snow off the top of a semi-trailer.
                    Yep, OSHA's been sniffin' at Crotch-22 again.
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                      Some jurisdictions (such as New Jersey) are now making it mandatory to clear off snow.

Fun fact #1: OHSA prohibits working more than 4 feet off the ground without either a safety railing or fall-stop gear.
                      Fun fact #2: The roof of a semi-trailer is more than 4 feet off the ground, and is not equipped with either a safety railing or anchor points for fall-stop gear.

Mount a snowblower on a man-lift that can reach the top of the trailer. You should be able to clear loose snow fairly easily. Maybe an ice breaker on a reach pole for large amounts of ice?
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

One warning about using push brooms to clear snow off your vehicle:

The push brooms I've used have braces going from 6-9 inches up the handle out to the broom head about 3/4 of the way to the ends.

Very often, these braces are clamped to the handle with fairly long bolts, whose ends will do a great job of ruining your paint job, if they touch it.

Two preventatives:
                        (1) Usually they are assembled one pointing up, one down. Reverse the one pointing down, so only the heads are pointing towards your car.
                        (2) Wrap them with duct tape or electrical tape, to shield the sharp/hard edges.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          I miss having a garage.

What I hate the MOST is when it's snowed and you go as gently and peacefully as you can to open your door to not get any snow on the inside......and holy hell there it goes all over your seat! And if you do it too fast, oops, there's a mess too.
                          That's why you open the passenger doors and not the driver doors. So any snow that gets in is on the side you aren't sitting in at least. But yeah, that inside snow storm you get opening the doors after a snow storm are always 'fun'.

I don't drive myself, but when I do drive, or have a vehicle after a storm, I do my best to make sure it's as clear as possible before going anywhere; both windows and the tops.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            Sorry you were behind me. *hides*
                            Good thing I you.
                            I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

Er ... guilty ... *koff*

I figure it keeps the tailgaters well back ...

Comment

Sounds like the laws here (and likely elsewhere) that mandate the usage of windshield wipers and headlights (full lights, not parking lights, and not Brights unless you're in a rural area) when it's raining, no matter how slight....Well-intentioned, but never, EVER enforced. The only use for them that I can think of is as something to tack on to an existing ticket during a rainstorm.
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X