Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > Unsupportable

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 03:59 AM
Darwin and Murphy are my gods.

I've got a USB floppy drive in this computer. I mostly use it to copy from floppies to my server.

I also have a 5-1/4" floppy drive around here somewhere. It was in my computer for quite a while. (Several years.) I was working my way through my late mother's old floppies, seeing if there was anything worth keeping. (Quite a bit of stuff, in fact.) Not sure where the drive is now, but I need to finish that project One Of These Days[tm].
Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 AM
I need a life

Deserted, if the 5 1/4" doesn't turn up, or if it dies before you can get all the files copied, let me know. I've got a few 5 1/4" (1.2M) drives for IBM clones kicking around.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 AM
Escapee

I know it's not an error message that's written on the screen, but a computer making a beeping noise is trying to tell you something!

My mom has repeatedly called me over to her desk to get the computer to stop beeping. The first thing I say is "take everything off your keyboard." And voila! It stops. Yes, she puts binders and folders and such on the keyboard and then wonders why her computer is yelling at her.

The other really basic issue I've seen is impatient clicking. How many times does someone call me over to complain that something isn't working and I have to say "stop clicking!" And wow, once they let the computer think for two seconds, it unlocks and works properly.

Of course, these people (not my mom, she realizes that it's her fault) think that computers aren't really helpful, that they "crash" all the time, or are "never" working. *eye twitch*

Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 AM
Old tech nerd, aka Dr. Optigan

Quote:
Quoth wolfie View Post
I would have thought it would be friction mode feeding from the back (single sheets placed in tray at the back of the machine), and tractor mode loading from the bottom (accordion-fold tractor paper feeding through a slot in the desk from a box under the desk).
Quote:
Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
This was one of the old 9 pin impact printers. Both modes used fan-fold paper.
Generally, friction feed indeed denotes single sheets of paper fed through the back, typewriter-style, while tractor feed uses the fan-fold paper, with the tractors either at the back (pusher) or on top (puller). I've owned numerous dot-matrix printers, including the Apple ImageWriter II ("SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH!!!!!"), Commodore MPS-1250 (puller-type tractor feed, but a superb machine regardless), Panasonic KX-something (wide-carriage with pusher tractor feed), Okidata ML-320 (still in production, last I checked), and who-knows-how-many others. Goofy and loud, but they did the trick. I was probably the last kid in my high school class handing in homework in dot-matrix form.

Quote:
Quoth EricKei View Post
Drive a: ...

Drive a:...

How old was that computer?!? O_O
Pretty much any computer which still has a floppy disk drive installed will throw the good ol' "NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR" if someone happened to leave a non-bootable disk in the drive when it was turned off. And I'm pretty sure even the modern machines could still be booted from an old-fashioned DOS boot floppy if they happened to have a floppy drive connected, even the USB type. Back in the XP days, I used a special boot disk in a USB floppy drive to make my Sony Vaio laptop boot from the Red Hat 9 partition I'd installed on its hard drive...
-Adam
Where the hell is the nerd smilie?!

Old 10-30-2016, 06:21 AM
Store Manager

you reminded of this old guy who came in with a tablet wanted to be shown how to use it. the issue being it was still at the "you just turned me on for the first time" setup screen where it gives you very direct questions like "what is your name". The problem, he just wouldn't read and think, he would honestly just start tapping random things. I tried to tell him he needed to just read what the screen said and input the answer and tap next and did one prompt for him. he just starts randomly tapping on the screen. I couldn't just do it for him because we charge for that and I couldn't even offer to do a tutorial with him because he didn't have it set up yet and it's a completely different service, that we also schedule in advance.

it reached a point where there's a box literally asking for his name and he looks at the screen and asks me what he's supposed to do. I told him he needs to read the screen and answer the question and eventually just walked away. there were too many customers in the store and I honestly just didn't know how to get through to him and I'd already offered to do our setup service but he was like "no I don't need that I just need someone to show me how to do some stuff".

Old 10-30-2016, 09:42 PM
Escapee

Quote:
Quoth gremcint View Post
I tried to tell him he needed to just read what the screen said
I wish they hadn't made me learn to ring at my work. I don't think I could be a full time cashier, it would kill me. For example, this lady had a card with a chip, and she had inserted and ripped the card out like three times in a row before I could stop her, and the register had actually backed out, so I had to total the transaction again. She again rapidly inserts and removes the card, and asks me why it's not working. Enjoy!

Me: What did the screen say?
Her: I don't know.
Me: *puts her card back in* Okay, now it says 'do not remove card' so don't remove the card. Now it wants you to confirm the total....
Her: *does nothing*
Me: Now you need to push 'accept'
Her: *hits accept, stares at screen* Now I'm done?
Me: The screen says 'please remove card' so you can remove your card.
Her: So I'm done?
Me: It's asking for your signature.
Her: *signs, does nothing else*
Me: You have to press 'accept signature'
Her *tries to use her finger, but our readers don't always register that*
Me: Try the stylus.
Her: *uses stylus to hit the screen like she's trying to break it, takes three tries* We're done?
Me: The screen says 'accepted' so yes, here's you're receipt, I hope you're not driving today.

Okay I didn't say that last part, but I was thinking it...

Old 10-31-2016, 05:37 PM
Stocking horse

Quote:
Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
Pretty much any computer which still has a floppy disk drive installed will throw the good ol' "NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR" if someone happened to leave a non-bootable disk in the drive when it was turned off. And I'm pretty sure even the modern machines could still be booted from an old-fashioned DOS boot floppy if they happened to have a floppy drive connected, even the USB type. Back in the XP days, I used a special boot disk in a USB floppy drive to make my Sony Vaio laptop boot from the Red Hat 9 partition I'd installed on its hard drive...
-Adam
Where the hell is the nerd smilie?!
Reminds me of a signature back in my newsgroup days 'Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?'

Old 10-31-2016, 09:48 PM
Et tu, Pixie?

gremcint -- I wonder if he ever reached a prompt asking him to setup a password...You coulda just told him it was hunter2...
"I don’t know what English did to you or your family, but I cannot in good conscience sit here and watch you do this to it. You sir, are a monster." ~ Gravekeeper

"Don't weep for the stupid; you'll be crying all day!" - Fr. Anderson, Hellsing Ultimate: Abridged
"I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain it to you any further." – anon

Old 02-24-2017, 11:44 PM
Assistant Manager

From my early days working tech support, I learned sympathy for the RTFS folks when I realized that they were technophobic, and their faculties were blocked by anxiety or panic. "Fear is the mind-killer...".

Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM
Squishyware engineer

Quote:
Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
From my early days working tech support, I learned sympathy for the RTFS folks when I realized that they were technophobic, and their faculties were blocked by anxiety or panic. "Fear is the mind-killer...".
I have plenty of sympathy for the technophobe, but that evaporates when the technophobe goes into a-hole mode. I know they can't always help it (anxiety does that to some people), but I can't be bothered to distinguish between 'issues' and 'just an asshole' in those situations.