Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about the song where Rizzo's singing about why she puts out?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      "I could stay home every night
      Wait around for Mr Right
      Take cold showers every day
      And throw my life away
      For a dream that won't come true."

Sounds perfectly normal to me.
      Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
        Or the fact that Rizzo thought she was pregnant but she wasn't quite sure who the father was!

Good times for the entire family!
        Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 10-07-2006, 12:19 PM. Reason: added good times
        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I'll never forget having my innocent little childhood mind scarred and losing my faith in disney after hearing the real endings to grim's fairy tales.

and don't even get me started about "sword in the stone"
          "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Quoth dispatch View Post
            and don't even get me started about "sword in the stone"
            Actually, Disney's The Sword in the Stone is a fairly decent adaptation of the first section of T.H. White's The Once and Future King, so I think you'd have to take it up with Mr. White. I took my senior course for my English BA on variations of the legend of King Arthur.
            "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
            - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I was more upset with how they portrayed certain characters, but then again, it's disney
              "Ride the spiral to the end, it may just go where no one's been. Spiral out, keep going..." -Lateralus

Comment

Thing is, those personalities are quite similar to the personalities from the novel. But anyway, I can understand your gripe.
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

So I know this is an old post but I thought I'd add my thoughts anyway.

People like this give a bad name to Christians....... I thought Hercules was a cute movie but no it didn't represent Greek mythology well at all.... for that I think the TV Show Hercules was a bit better....

I was shocked when as a teenager I went to see Grease the play..... like the live show. That's when I really heard the lyrics and the language..... NOT a family film by any way shape or means! Not just the lyrics to the song but there's a ton of profanity and sexual inuendo just in the dialogue. I still love the movie but yeah - hmmm maybe they shouldn't have made "Grease" the musical that they are auditioning for on TV right now.... so many little kids will want to go see it. Although I was SHOCKED to see a parent that brought what must have been their 8 year old to see Hair.... um there's an entire scene where the whole cast stands on stage NAKED! And there's sex, drugs, profanity, sexual inuendo..... not what I would consider kid-friendly entertainment. It's no wonder these kids grow up to be idiots.......

Comment

on a side note, Hercules is the Roman name for this chracter. it is actually harakles.
                    History repeats, the names and dates change, but its always the same old story.

Comment

What kills me is the people who are looking for a Disney kids movie for historical accuracy ...
                      and just whats wrong with a cartoon show taking libertys for entertainments sake. Not everything in life has to be good for you and teach something.Fun for funs sake is a good thing from time to time.

Comment

Quoth Sailornight6 View Post
                        on a side note, Hercules is the Roman name for this chracter. it is actually harakles.
                        Heracles, if I'm not mistaken. But, again, if I'm not mistaken, there's a lot of name mistakes in the movie. Philoctetes, for instance, was human, and was at the battle for Troy with Hercules. In fact, Phil was Hercules' apprentice.

Megara was only one of Hercules' many wives, and died before Herc, which made Herc go crazy.
                        I want to say the river guardian, Nessus, was indeed a centaur, but not a river guardian in myth.
                        Narcissus was NOT a god, and would not have made it to Olympus.
                        Amphitryon (Herc's father in the movie) was a war general, not a farmer!

The Hydra was not in a cave just outside Thebes. Just, not. It was in the Elysian fields, if I remember correctly, and was fought by another greek hero whose name escapes me, who was trying to save a giant (I think...)
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

your are correct. disney's movie made me twitch but remember there was another heracles on at the same time...with a certian hunk on it
                          History repeats, the names and dates change, but its always the same old story.

Comment

That Hercules (Kevin Sorbo) spawned the whole Xena series. Yup, that's right, Xena was a guest spot on an episode of Hercules, and, as I understand it, people liked the episode so much, they spun it off to another show.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                              And so on. Otherwise, Hercules is a great movie.
                              (Sorry, Greek mythology buff)
                              Storytelling buff here.

I think the character who really drove the movie Hercules was Meg. From the moment we met her to the moment she died, it was her decisions that drove the plot. Hades wanted to kill Hercules, sure, but Hercules wasn't making decisions that made Hades act. Meg was.

Hercules' goal required no conflict. Oh, plenty of combat! Sure. But no conflict.

He wanted to find out who he was: well, that was easy. Quick trip to the temple. Talk to Daddy.
                              He wanted to train to become a hero: that was easy. Talk to the satyr guy Phil. Phil doesn't want to train him. Ooh, an opportunity for conflict! Oh, Daddy resolved it. Bah.

He wants to be a hero. Our first conflict! He finds a damsel in distress, but .. she can handle it! Does this bring him into conflict with our antagonist, finally? No. It brings Meg into conflict with the antagonist, though.

And Meg continues to be in conflict with Hades, while Hercules blithely continues monster-bashing and being totally unaware that he's even IN conflict with Hades. Monster-bashing isn't even a challenge for Herc. He doesn't change, grow, develop as a character. He just gets rich and famous.

Herc only gets into a situation where he has to make a character-developing decision at the climax of the movie, in the scene where Phil informs Hercules that he saw Meg with Hades, and the scenes following. And even that situation was caused by Meg's and Phil's decisions, not Hercules'.

However, from that point on, the film is driven by Hercules' and Hades' decisions, and Hercules becomes the plot-driving protagonist.

What I did enjoy, from a storytelling perspective, was the Disney use of the Greek Chorus. Literally. The Muses were an excellent choice for the role, too.
                              Seshat's self-help guide:
                              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                                The Fates didn't cut mortal's threads of life, that would be the Norns.

(Sorry, Greek mythology buff)

Another mythology buff. Plus, I'm Celtic, Pictish, Norman, and Viking, so Norse mythology is part of my heritage. The Fates (Greek) and the Norns (Norse) are somewhat counterparts. Atropos does cut the thread of each person.

Greek - Fates
                                Clotho - spins the Thread of Life
                                Lachesis - determines length of the yarn
                                Atropos - snips the yarn (the final one).

Norse - Norns (also tend Yggdrasil and weave the never-ending Destiny tapestries)
                                Urd - fate
                                Verdandi - present
                                Skuld - future (She's also a part-time Valkyrie)
                                It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                                X