Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't suggest used unless you know who it is coming from. You never know what you might find in it...

We bought a couch on clearance (got an employee discount too). It has had a slip cover on it for about 20 years.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      I wouldn't suggest used unless you know who it is coming from. You never know what you might find in it...
      I've heard too many horror stories from buddies at Rent-A-Center to buy most used couches, for sure, LOL.
      By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Laptop - and if you go though a site like DellOutlet.com (but still compare with other makes and models) you might end up with a sweet deal.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Check store returns at rent a centers too. We got a three piece sectional with two recliners for $100 at Aarons, there were tears in the arms and on one piece, and it was a horrible color of green, but it's a great couch. They may have some damaged on display that would they would sell cheap, and they deliver.

The laptop is needed for your work, I would go with that over the couch.
          Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

I'm gonna have to say laptop. Not only does it enable you to work when away from home, it can be a suitable back-up if for some reason your desktop goes kaput (God forbid).

Always go with the things that will make you more money to get the things you want.

SC
            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Well I'll definitely be going with the laptop now. One of my clients heard yesterday that we may be going to visit the fam again soon, and he asked if I'd be able to work still. When I told him no because of the aforementioned situation, he actually offered to lend me the money to buy one. :P

So yeah, I take it I should probably bite the bullet and get a laptop first. Now to just pick out a decent one that runs Photoshop CS5 easily, and can deal with my typical habit of running 20+ tabs in Chrome in the background, LOL.

Comment

My vote is for laptop first as well, for pretty much all the same reasons everyone else has said laptop.

For a couch, check craigslist in your area. I've gotten a couch off craigslist before, and the person getting rid of it was nice enough to deliver it to me even for a reasonable fee. ($50 for the couch and delivery). I LOVED that couch, and cried when I had to get rid of it because there wasn't any way I could take it with me when I moved to Nevada.

Another place to check is any thrift stores in your area, or Salvation Army stores. Also keep an eye on yard sales. Those can all be good ways to score a decent couch for cheap.

A rent to own type place is a BAD deal. Sure, only paying $20 or $30 a week sounds like a deal, but then figure how many weeks you have to pay that and you'll wind up paying a bit more than an actual fair retail price.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                  For a couch, check craigslist in your area. <snip>

Another place to check is any thrift stores in your area, or Salvation Army stores. Also keep an eye on yard sales. Those can all be good ways to score a decent couch for cheap.

A rent to own type place is a BAD deal. Sure, only paying $20 or $30 a week sounds like a deal, but then figure how many weeks you have to pay that and you'll wind up paying a bit more than an actual fair retail price.
                  Been keeping an eye on craigslist, our area's not known for decent furniture though, sadly. The one time I actually found something, it was a practical miracle.

We also don't have a SA around here, just a Goodwill, and its tiny, and very, very....questionable. Last time I saw a couch in there, I could smell it as soon as I walked through the doors. ><

The RTO place we'd only consider if we paid it off in one shot. That's where our friend works, so we could actually get a good deal on something, *if* we could figure it out.

Comment

I was going to suggest trying to find a used couch as well but as you say, you'd be rolling the dice on that.

Alternately....most couches I've known have wooden frames. Since the fabric is worn out anyway it might be possible to open up the area that's sagging, screw or nail it back together, then just take a blanket and use that as a cover. Springs coming so maybe the blankets could be spared until you secure the funds for a new couch?

Yeah, not an ideal solution, but it might make the old one last long enough until it can be replaced.
                    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Check furniture auctions. We got a beautiful couch from one; sadly, had to sell it to my brother when we moved out here.

Still, get the laptop first.
                      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                      My LiveJournal
                      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I say laptop first, couch second.The laptop is your livelihood and with it you can use the money you earn from your work to buy the couch.
                        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
                        X