Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is why a lot of job descriptions include the line "...and any other tasks deemed necessary by the employer."
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      I think this is why a lot of job descriptions include the line "...and any other tasks deemed necessary by the employer."
      Mine does, much to my regret...

Comment

IMO, that list only applies if you have a real tyrant of a boss. I've used almost every phrase on that list and I still have my job.

I don't hesitate to speak up and stand up for myself if something stupid is being proposed, or management's trying to dump something on me that isn't my responsibility, or is trying to hold me responsible for something that isn't my fault.

Quoth article
        Last words: When in doubt, remember that silence really is golden.
        And my response to that is remember silence really is acceptance.

Just because the economy's bad and not getting better anytime soon doesn't mean I give up my right to be treated fairly and to not feel like I have to work myself into a stroke just to keep my job. But since the economy is so bad, I think we're going to see more "how to keep your job" articles such as this one.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
          unfortuneately with the way that phrase is worded you could be required to wax the floor, repair the leaky roof, do pest control the hard way, etc. there IS a limit to my job AT the pay the company is compensating me.

I guess some of you have never been waitstaff before. in addition to "regular duties", tons of side jobs (still at server pay) oh and please wash the windows (both inside and outside), pull out all of those heavy booths and clean under them, drag around those heavy rugs and take them outside and clean them, put up all those festive holiday decorations, etc. been there done that

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
          IMO, that list only applies if you have a real tyrant of a boss. I've used almost every phrase on that list and I still have my job.

I don't hesitate to speak up and stand up for myself if something stupid is being proposed, or management's trying to dump something on me that isn't my responsibility, or is trying to hold me responsible for something that isn't my fault.

And my response to that is remember silence really is acceptance.

Just because the economy's bad and not getting better anytime soon doesn't mean I give up my right to be treated fairly and to not feel like I have to work myself into a stroke just to keep my job. But since the economy is so bad, I think we're going to see more "how to keep your job" articles such as this one.
          On this I hearily agree Ivr. esp as pointed out if your supervisor is even a borderline tyrant/micromanager/anger management poster boy. Rule by fear or intimidation is STILL not an acceptable way to lead. and anyone who agrees with this "style" of leadership or management needs to get out in the real world.

IS THAT NOT WHAT WE, AS A COLLECTIVE GROUP, BITCH AND COMPLAIN ABOUT RIGHT HERE ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD ALL THE DANG TIME.

Just because a company is paying me to do a job does not mean anything goes. by some of the logic I see in posts here, I guess sexual harreassment, hostile work environments, racial prejuice, age discrimination, unequal pay and the like are now acceptable PRACTICE just because "the economy is bad" and "you should be glad to have a job right NOW".

By NOT saying anything out of fear or bullying is just teaching someone else how to treat you in the future. continued silence is NOT golden but can be a VERY large stick that someone uses against you again and again. IF you just "take it" then it is your own fault.

If you wish to become a true sheeple go alone get along and keep silent. then when there is no one left to speak up no one will speak up for you.
          Last edited by Racket_Man; 03-25-2010, 09:51 AM.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

We're not talking about illegal activities here, Racket. We're talking about a manager/superior giving a task to a subordinate. You're "guilt by association" doesn't apply here, because I think every one of us objects to managers abusing their powers for illegal gains.

Comment

Dammit boss I'm a doctor not a janitor.

Sorry had to do it.

Comment

When I read the thread title I knew immediately it was the same article my boss posted on the office door. She wrote on the paper "all true!" It's all I can do to refrain from writing "un" in between the words. I take biggest issue with "it's not my fault" because I'm constantly being blamed for what the customers do.
                "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Doing something around here that isn't specifically in your job description can get you deep into hot water around here. This is a union shop.

So if the boss tells me to wax the floors, and I DON'T tell him that it isn't my job to wax the floors, I'm now in trouble with the custodian's union. That gets the manager in trouble with MY union, which gets the company in trouble with the lawyers.

Frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not trained to run a floor buffer. If my job, which I've had for 12 years and performed admirably, suddenly and irrationally depended on my ability to run a floor buffer, I would be in serious trouble. If I were fired for being unable to run a floor buffer to the satisfaction of my manager despite 12 years of admirable performance at the job I was specifically hired to do, there is something very, very wrong with the way that office is running.

Love, Who?

Comment

Working...
                  X