• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad HR Policies

I think the title is self explanatory, Five Destructive Company HR Policies

http://www.businessweek.com/managing...316_385201.htm
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

I think the first item on that list is the one which I've had the most trouble with - only reason I got laid off from Macy's was because our H.R. staff were unable/unwilling to be flexible regarding scheduling availability. (They were aware when I was hired that I had another job and had to depend on the bus for transportation, and when corporate policies changed, they were not able or willing to accomodate this)

Comment

Number 1 sounds a bit like my old boss....it was a matter of luck if you managed to schedule time off. Although by law in my state, they are required to give time off for SES work (State Emergency Service....in short, volunteer group who help during natural disasters. They don't do the actual firemen/police work, rather they do the smaller jobs i.e. road closures, evacs, assisting with search and rescues, the list goes on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Emergency_Service), jury duty and a couple of other situations.

Number 4 is tacky...although a couple of stories here prove the reason as to why.

Number 3...depends on the company...do you REALLY want a reference from them anyway if they spent the last few years of your life screwing you around?

My mother dealt with #3 partially due to a case of nepotism. She's worked for two companies since then who have loved her and the last one showered praise on her for a reference. (one was a construction company-thankfully not my dad's-the one she works for now is an interior group. She only left the construction company as they relocated to a 90 minute commute for her each day)
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

To date, I've run into all these at one time or another except #4. Every time I've had a family member die, I've been given the time to go, most times paid.

However, #1 seems to be the one I've seen most often, especially with regards to people who do shift work. Back when I worked for the rental-car agency, one of the girls I worked with was refused vacation time (we really didn't get vacations, just days off without pay, if we took them) to get married. They told her the only way to get the time off was to do a shift-swap. She took it with stride, and said boldly that she would quit before missing her wedding. Someone finally did a shift swap for her, but really...

This was the same job where our district manager said, in front of most of the employees that he would get rid of sick days if he could, stating that he "saw no reason to pay someone to be sick."

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

The first, third and fifth policies...agreed and pretty much been there (unfortunately).
          I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
          Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
          Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Working...
          X