This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Little Printer That Couldn't

I've been trying to forget this incident because of the sheer level of frustration involved.

Last week, a husband and wife came into my department. I am pretty much fully transferred to Electronics now, but I'm still green enough there that I'm not fully comfortable. Add to this the fact that we carry a good 30-40 different printers, and that it's just not possible to know every single one of them in and out.

This couple apparently ran a small business, and a major thing they had to do was produce an 11 page packet/brochure (printed double sided, six sheets total), and they wanted to be able to do this themselves, rather than have our Copy & Print Center do it, or any other professional print shop/service. What they wanted was a machine that would let them drop their master of the packet into the document feeder, push ONE button, and have it automatically make copies of the packet, from the double sided master, and spit out double sided printouts. They also wanted to do this as inexpensively as possible, and it HAD to be in full color.

In other words, thye were asking for the impossible. At least, not possible for us to provide for them. I just wish they they had come right out and told me this, as it would have saved my entire department a great deal of hassle. No home mchine is going to be able to do this. Period. Even the dedicated copiers that we sell (for a lot more money) would be hard pressed to do this, and thye aren't even in color.

This whole incident reminded me of a story I read here a while back about a guy who was trying to run a print-on-demand service, and refused to believe that a regular printer couldn't do a full bleed, and refused to buy a micropress.

When I first asked them if I could help them with anything (famous last words), thye were looking at a low-end HP all-in-one (AIO) printer/scanner/copier/fax.

Me: Duh
    EL: Department lead (who I must point out was tired, slightly sick, and was busy doing prep work for the ompending inventory)
    Lenny: Unflappable electronics superman.
    SW: Sucky Wife
    SH: Sucky Husband

Me: Is there anything I can help you with?
    SW: Yes. Does this machine print on both sides?
    Me: No, it doesn't. But these ones over here do.
    SW: Well I like this one. Is there any way it can print on both sides.
    Me: Well, I believe HP sells an add-on duplexing unit for this model, so it you wanted to get that you could, but last I checked, those were about $80. For less than that, you could upgrade to a model that prints on both sides out of the box.
    SW: OK, so what about copying both sides?
    Me: Will this scan both sides? Well, yes, but you have to turn the page over manually. And if you do that, you'll end up with two single sided copies.
    SW: But you said it prints on both sides.
    Me: Yes, it does. But it can't make two sides COPIES. It's not that sophisticated.
    SW: OK, so what about this one? (goes back to the first model that doesn't even print on both sides)
    Me: That one can't make two sides printouts, ma'am.
    SW: But what if I buy that special adapter? Will it make two sided copies then?
    Me: No.
    SW: But you said the adapter will let it make two sided prints!
    Me: Yes, it will, but....
    SW: So it will work?
    Me: ...BUT that has nothing to do with the scanner.
    SW: You're confusing me. What do you mean?
    Me: OK.........all of these machines *gestures across the aisle* are basically two machines stacked together. On the bottom is a printer, and on the top is a scanner. By putting them together this way, you can make printouts from your computer, scan documents and images onto your computer, or make photocopies. Now, the duplexing unit allows the PRINTER portion of the machine to make two sided printouts. However, it doesn't do anything to the scanner portion. It can only scan one side of the paper. So, even with a duplexing printer, you can't make double sided photocopies.
    SH: Ok, do any of these do that?
    Me: No sir. None of these machines are that sophisticated.
    SW: What about this one? (points to a higher end HP officejet) What's that thing on top of it?
    Me: That's an auto-document feeder. It....
    SW: So that can copy both sides then?
    Me: No. That allows you to place multiple sheets into this tray here. It will feed each sheet to the scanner one at a time and scan or copy them.
    SW: So that can copy both sides then?
    Me: No. Again, none of these machines are that sophisticated.

Yadda yadda yadda. Wash rinse repeat for a FULL FIFTEEN MINUTES more more (it felt a lot longer than that) I just could not get a word in edgewise with these people to try and suggest alternatives for them. Sucky Wife had me on the defensive the whole time, and kept coming back to the same damn two questions. WIll this one make two sided copies? Will the special adapter make it do that? (I really wish I hadn't mentioned the bleeping duplexing unit. We dont' even sell the stupid thing) No matter how I rephrased my response to make it clearer for them, they just didn't (or, more likely, wouldn't) get it.

SW: Is there any here whop knows what they are doing?

Me: EEEE LLLL!!!!!
    EL: What's up?

I hurried over to where she was and quickly and quietly filled her in on my SCs

Me: They are asking for the impossible.
    EL: Great......

EL: Hi, how can I help?
    SW: Does this machine make two sided copies?

I stayed for about two minutes, until finally, blessedly, another customer entered the department and i was able to break away from these morons. I'm sure my Lead was thrilled about being stuck with them, because almost half an hour later she was STILl with them!

It wasn't until Lenny arrived for his shift that she was finally able to get away from them....by foisting them off onto him.

EL: Oh my God......
    Me: Tell me about it....
    EL: You were right. There isn't a single machine over there that they will consider that will do what they want.
    Me: Yeah, I know.
    EL: What they NEED to do what they want is a high end copying machine, like what we have in the copy center, but that will cost them thousands of dollars, which they won't spend, and they are just refusing any other option. Lenny's with them now, and he's convinced he can find a solution for them.

Fast forward nearly an hour. They are STILL HERE. They are STILL talking with Lenny. Somehow he managed to sell them a machine. I think an HP K5400, but it's not really important which one it was.

The very next day Sucky Husband was back, with another guy in tow (one of their employees, I guess). They proceeded to rip one of the full time Office Supply Associates (who was filling in at the Service Desk) up one side and down the other about what their needs were, and how this machine didn't fill them. What it came down to this time was that they refused to RTFM. I steered well clear of them. Lenny wound up talking to them for ANOTHER hour, but this time they left with no new machine, just a refund. I haven't seen them back.

In summation: "Denial" is not a river in Egypt; failure to plan on your part does nto constitute an emergency on my part; and I'm sorry but I can't pull a magic machine out of my hind quarters for you.

Oh, and there was a lovely little epilogue where some moron put their returned printer back on the shelf, someone else bought it, then returned it all upset that they had been sold an open box machine instead of a new one.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

....I.... am having printer shoping flash backs.... amd my head hurts

Comment

Sooooo many things wrong with them that it's not even funny.
      Issue one: Hth did they make it 11 pages? Was there just some loose page in the middle? Or was it not bound?
      Issue the second: Print full colour both sides? Professional printers with their fancy schmancy huge 18,000/hr. units wouldn't even do that. It's called smearing people. You're going to ruin your product.
      Third issue: You want a good quality print, you don't make copies, you print from source, either plates or the electronic file. Knowing these issues, I'm pretty sure they probably had a full bleed on it in addition to full colour and I don't think any home copier/printer is going to give you a bleed unless you trim, and I doubt they've the braincells to cope with that idea.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Holy fuggin donky crap batman.... The stupid is strong in those ones. I wish I was there for that, I would have saved your staff. An 11 page "newsletter" type thingie in full color on a home unit (or any type of machine that you can pick up in any office supply store/electronics store) is an imposibility. You are looking minimum 9 grand for a used secondary market machine (color copier) with a duplexer to be able to handle that.

What they really needed was a trade shop (if they had a resell license) and they could get it done for as low as 12 cents a side. In fact I haven't had my color copier repaired simply for the fact that what I can't do on my inkjet (very short runs of a couple dozen) it's cheaper to outsource and pay anywhere from 12-30 cents a copy for.

But then again people like that are a printers worse nightmare....Yeah I need 5000 copies of my 11 page newsletter, and I need it in full color, glossy, and in about 25 minutes so I can get it to the mailing center....oh yeah its full blead, but I don't have masters setup for full blead, just these normal letter size full blead originals with no excess for trimming....

You deserve copius amounts of beer/whiskey/chocolate/whatever your poison of choice is, for dealing with those fucktards.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
          You want a good quality print, you don't make copies, you print from source, either plates or the electronic file. Knowing these issues, I'm pretty sure they probably had a full bleed on it in addition to full colour and I don't think any home copier/printer is going to give you a bleed unless you trim, and I doubt they've the braincells to cope with that idea.
          You're right, of course. But I never even got the opportunity to bring these points up with them (though they didn't say anything about full bleed). They just kept me going in a tight circle.

Quoth digilight View Post
          You deserve copius amounts of beer/whiskey/chocolate/whatever your poison of choice is, for dealing with those fucktards.
          Tell me about it.......
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Worst case scenario, get the BEST quality one side printer. make one print on a marked paper to learn what side/direction the thing prints at. Then, make all your copies of one side in one set, turn the paper around, and do the other side in one go.... it's so friggin simple!
            I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Just so I can keep up with the lingo (I never know when I may use the terms myself) ... what does 'full bleed', 'masters setup' mean?

TIA for the vocabulary lesson!
              "We go through our careers and things happen to us. Those experiences made me what I am."-Thomas Keller

Comment

I love how people think if they keep askin the same dumb question, they'll eventually get the answere they want to hear, like we automatically agree with them after a set amount of time.

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                  Just so I can keep up with the lingo (I never know when I may use the terms myself) ... what does 'full bleed', 'masters setup' mean?

TIA for the vocabulary lesson!
                  Full bleed is when printed material has colour going right up to all four edges of the page, and is also usually flood coat (completely covered in colour) meaning it takes forever to dry without smearing, and you're going to have to trim the page down to its finished size.

Masters setup I've not heard, but from the usage I'd have to say it is having either the plates/source file or at least an untrimmed press sheet with all the mark-ups for the pressman to work from.

I just took two courses in production editing last semester so I have a lot of terms rattling around my skull right now. It's good to use them so that I know they're still up there!

Comment

*winces in sympathy*

Oy vey! After figuring out what they wanted, the first thing I would have said to them is that they need a unit that can scan their document and upload it to a computer, then print the output from there so that any time they want to print it out, they can just hit the print button and not have to worry about the document feeder. Because I know that you can't get duplex out of an automatic document feeder. Otherwise, they'd have to have each page on a separate sheet, and then print duplex from those.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth FuzzyKitten99 View Post
                      Bleeding is simply where the ink extends all the way to the edge of the paper, to do so you have to "over print" basically print a little bit past where the edge of your paper will be. This is done by printing on a larger size sheet then your finished product will be. "Masters Setup" is just simply having your masters setup correctly for whatever the final outcome should be. If you are going to do a full bleed then either your master will need to be a hard copy, printed on larger paper with crop marks showing where it will trim off the excess. Or it can be a computer file but setup so it can have correct margins.

Basically in printing you have your safe area (where text and pictures are not in danger of being cut, you have your margins that will have a variance of about a 1/16 of an inch due to trimming, and then you have your bleed area or void area where everything past that point will be cut off.

Quoth Bliss View Post
                      Worst case scenario, get the BEST quality one side printer. make one print on a marked paper to learn what side/direction the thing prints at. Then, make all your copies of one side in one set, turn the paper around, and do the other side in one go.... it's so friggin simple!
                      This can work, but depending on the printer it will kill it very quickly (and eat thru the ink cartridges like a kid with candy).

Full bleed is when printed material has colour going right up to all four edges of the page, and is also usually flood coat (completely covered in colour) meaning it takes forever to dry without smearing, and you're going to have to trim the page down to its finished size.
                      Actually a flood coat is going to be a base coat of a solid color, for example in silk screaning you will normally do a flood coat of white (if you are printing on a dark surface) that is a franction of an inch larger then your final artwork. On full color printer they use CMYK (printing with the 4 basic colors, cyan, magenta, yellow, and black). You can bleed any edge or all four edges depending on budget.

Masters setup I've not heard, but from the usage I'd have to say it is having either the plates/source file or at least an untrimmed press sheet with all the mark-ups for the pressman to work from.
                      Bingo that is exactly correct, if there is not any excess to be trimmed of the master, then you can't get a true full blead without a small ribbon of white due to the press or copier requiring a gripper.
                      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                        Actually a flood coat is going to be a base coat of a solid color, for example in silk screaning you will normally do a flood coat of white (if you are printing on a dark surface) that is a franction of an inch larger then your final artwork. On full color printer they use CMYK (printing with the 4 basic colors, cyan, magenta, yellow, and black). You can bleed any edge or all four edges depending on budget.
                        Gak! *ashamed* I knew that. Bah, apparently I'm only smart in class.

Bingo that is exactly correct, if there is not any excess to be trimmed of the master, then you can't get a true full blead without a small ribbon of white due to the press or copier requiring a gripper.
                        Woot! Maybe I can learn after all!

Comment

That's pretty funny.. but just to comment there is a SMB printer that does all of those things I know because I support it (it's laser and duplexing in the ADF and the printer is possible). It's $900 though, more then they would probably want to spend. Of course that is the most commonly complained about machine as well. "It takes longer then 3 seconds to fax" OMG!
                          Last edited by Trisnic; 06-24-2007, 12:24 AM.

Comment

While we are defining print terminology, can anyone tell me what "run on" means? It's in the context of "printing x copies with 100 run on", so I assume it means the printers will print an extra 100 copies on demand?
                            Every day at work is the new worst day of my life.

Comment

Working...
                            X