This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Tigress View Post
    The Sheraton staff wasn't too thrilled with us last year. Most of it was because an article about Animazement was in that Saturday's paper and we got a lot of people trying to crash the con, sneaking in through the exits without paying and causing a lot of trouble. Oh... and somehow, participants of the "unofficial" yaoi fan panel managed to break the hot tub, costing the con $10,000.
    Boston's Sheraton seemed to dislike the con on general "they're freaks" principle, though some of it was justified; a lot of the con attendees are just plain rowdy, after all. But the Sheraton made lots of mistakes (rearranging rooms without notice, selling room reservations they didn't actually have, failing to provide water for the raves despite it being in the contract, security snatching props out of guests hands without warning and despite the props already being checked by con security, etc.), and tried to blame most of them on con organizers staff instead of admitting their fault. People not in costume were treated just fine until hotel staff found out they were with the con, and then it was imediate disdain.

Luckily, I didn't have to deal with it. I was only in the Sheraton Thursday night for pre-registration, and spent the rest of the weekend in the convention center proper (mostly in the Artist's Alley).
    "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
    - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I have been to a few tattoos conventions and they are a blast. I always stay at the host hotel and your right you can tell the new employees by the .

The best one was at the Ren Cen in Detroit. Someone Obviously forgot to ask if there were any other events going on in the hotel before scheduling their huge company dinner right down the hall. These poor guests looked like they had walked out of an Armani fashion show right into a Guns N Roses video. They would scoot as far away from the "tattooed circus freaks" in the elevator as possible. Whenever I saw this I would start talking to them.....some actually were really nice especially after they found out what was going on. Admittedly seeing 5000+ heavily tattooed people can be a shocker if you thought you were going to the nicest hotel in town for a dinner party.

Comment

Quoth Kusanagi View Post
        Did you go before or after Revell turned into a giant asshole?
        Nekojin says that Revell has always been at least a closet asshole. He's done shit before that was pretty blatant. We haven't been for a while, and we've lost touch with our otaku cosplaying friend, so we're out of the loop on that front.

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
        It's insane. All the hotels from Oceanside to the border are filled. Last year the fire department had to stop people from entering because the venue got too crowded.
        Last time we went, our hotel was off the last exit before you headed into Mexico. Literally half a mile from the border. But when you reserve the week before the convention and you want it cheap, you couldn't beat it. Plus, it was a fairly nice motel, too.

Quoth Tigress View Post
        Oh... and somehow, participants of the "unofficial" yaoi fan panel managed to break the hot tub, costing the con $10,000.
        I was going to ask how, but then my brain started coming up with possible answers and initiated emergency shutdown procedures, so I'm just going to pretend I never heard about it.

In other news, it appears that Nekojin & I will be at AnimeExpo this year, working in the dealer room. If you're also going, drop by and say hi.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          In other news, it appears that Nekojin & I will be at AnimeExpo this year, working in the dealer room. If you're also going, drop by and say hi.

^-.-^
          Maybe when I finally get financially secure and can afford a cross-country flight.
          A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Any plans to attend Comic-Con?
            "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Closest thing to a Con for me is the film festival the indie film company I do work for on the side has hosted the past few years. It's held at a little local park district facility, and we get hotel and food all set up for the guests, which is a task. This past year we stayed at a new, independently owned hotel that was fantastic, and loved the revenue we brought them.

One of these years I'd love to go to a comic Con, my friends went last year and even got to meet Kristen Bell (aka Veronica Mars) I was so jealous I nearly cried. I've also recently gotten more into comics, so I'll have good reason to go.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Plans, yes, reality, no.

Unfortunately, what with the forced move and not having a car, Comic Con is a definite no-go for us this year. We want to go, but it's financially unfeasible. If anyone were to offer to buy us tickets, give us a ride, and give us a place to crash, we'd be there.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I want to go to a con that's not bead or jewelry related, maybe after the house is done. I'M MOVING IN TODAY!!!!!!!!!!! (After 3 damn years of owning the place!)

I just wanna dress up and be weird and have fun.

On another note, yes, the ebay people are the snobbiest of snobs. My cousin's wife works for visa and went to one of their thingies for some reason and came back HATING them. She even refuses to sell or buy off of ebay.
                  ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

I got to attend a Star Trek Con in Seattle, and had as much fun as I could on my very limited funds. Now I belong to the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA) and have attended two Estrella Wars, XXII and XXIII. We live as much as possible the way they did in the Middle Ages, so you have the gamut from Coleman tents with propane stoves, etc, to pavilions that could have come straight off the jousting fields of 11th century England, with all the attendant Middle Ages equipment. The war lasts a week, and we just moved from Estrella Park in Phoenix to Moon Canyon Ranch, where they hold Country Thunder. Imagine over a thousand men at arms locked in combat on the field. Exciting. I wish I could be on that field, but some of us have physical limitations. I specialize in medieval cookery and tournament archery.

Comment

Working...
                    X