Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who knew so many old people liked country music?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who knew so many old people liked country music?

In order to free up space to add 6 HD channels to the areas that weren't getting all the ones being offered, CMT (Country Music TV) was moved from standard cable to digital. Analog channels take up more bandwidth space than digital or HD channels, so moving them is the best way to add channels without having to take any away.

Cue the outraged old folks who just have standard cable. What threw me is that our coverage area includes the panhandle of West Virginia and the more rural parts of PA so I was expecting angry rednecks calling in but so far I haven't heard any. It's all been gray-hairs who apparently spend $50 a month on cable just for CMT.

The calls have broken down in 4 categories:

1. The "Where'd It Go?" group who were just puzzled at the blank spot where the channel used to be and apparently can't figure out how to use the on screen guide that shows the channel listings.

2. The "I WANT A REFUND" group who demand reimbursement for losing a channel since we didn't add one to replace it. Pointing out their cable bill is not set on a per channel basis only infuriates them.

3. The "I Know Why You Guys Did This" group. They've figured out that it was all part of our great plan to fleece customers out of more money by making them subscribe to a digital tier. Blast! The jig is up, the Moron Bureau of Investigations is on to us! Of course trying to explain the real reason (saving bandwidth) is met with tongue-cluckery and dismissive uh-huh's since they know the TRUTH and won't give a moment's consideration to your obvious attempt to keep the scam going.

4. The "No One Told Me" group who demand to know why no one informed them of these changes being made. One guy, after being told there was a notice included in his last bill (FCC law, any channel changes get a 30 day notice), got all huffy and snorted "WELL I GUESS FROM NOW ON I NEED TO GO OVER MY BILL LINE BY LINE" Wow, actually looking at a bill rather than blindly paying it, what a concept.

Oh yeah, all of them are also going to dish over this too. Such an outrage you see.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Well, they can have my CMT...hell they can have all my music channels...I don't use "em!

I just need my Comedy Central, TNT, USA, and FX and I'm happy
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

You think thats bad? Well before my company switched over to Cancels company, the Tennis channel was on the regular Digital Tier now that it was moved to our Sports Extra Package, boy did people huff and puff over it. I got so many people wanting a refund etc even though thats outright not even possible. I am not sure your aware but we were told recently the FCC is eliminating all analog signals in 2009 forcing everyone if they want TV they will have to get a box as no more rabit ear sets will exist. So either you get digital cable or you find something else to waste your life on.
      Never Underestimate the Element of Surprise - Odo, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Captain John Rourke(Clear Skies) - Ah, yes. another Black Bird. Are they free with cereal now or something?

Comment

I bet it has something to do with CMT having "good morals" or "family values"
        I live in GA and when I went into the cable co. to pay my first bll there was a older man, wondering aloud why everything had gotten so trashy and said he only watched CMT and Pax.

Jinxy who likes most of her entertainment moral-free,..well except for Moral Oral
        That's just my opinion, I could be wrong" ~Dennis Miller
        http://www.myspace.com/jinxy213
        http://www.myspace.com/bgge

Comment

i love my music channels....

Comment

Thank you for this, CancelMyService. Sometimes I get a little depressed that I don't deal with actual customers anymore... and then a post like this comes along.

Ah, well... it could be worse. The Big Ten Channel could be demanding placement on basic cable and $1.10 per subscriber to show third-tier college football games and first tier college bowling events...
            I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. -- Raymond Chandler

Comment

Well...my grandma used to listen to the country music station all the time. I can remember her playing it on her old little radio in her trailer while making breakfast when we stayed overnight.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

What makes you think those old people aren't just old rednecks? Rednecks aren't immortal, you know?!!!

Jinxy is correctamundo about the 'morals'...country music videos tend to be MUCH MUCH MUCH tamer than anything shown on MTV or VH1.

It also used to be much more popular than it is today. Fewer people live in rural areas, which is where country music tends to flourish.
                Last edited by ThePhoneGoddess; 06-24-2007, 09:33 AM.
                Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

What got me was the time they removed one of my favorite channels for 2 24-hour cartoon channels. Why anyone would want a 24-hour cartooon channel, let alone two of them is beyond me.

Comment

Ah, starlord, I can answer that one for you.

many people use cartoon channels as babysitters for their kids. One channel on the bedroom TV for sister who throws a tantrum when the other channel is put on, and the other channel on the living room tv so brother can watch the channel he wants to watch.

If those channels go out, the cable people will get angry Moms calling and screaming at them because they don't know what else to do with their kids.
                    Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Quoth ThePhoneGoddess View Post
                      Ah, starlord, I can answer that one for you.

many people use cartoon channels as babysitters for their kids. One channel on the bedroom TV for sister who throws a tantrum when the other channel is put on, and the other channel on the living room tv so brother can watch the channel he wants to watch.

If those channels go out, the cable people will get angry Moms calling and screaming at them because they don't know what else to do with their kids.

Quoted for the sad truth.

The one thing that surprised me the most in my job is how many parents will call in when there's an outage who are in terror at the idea of the electric babysitter being down and having to deal with their children.
                      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Starlord View Post
                        What got me was the time they removed one of my favorite channels for 2 24-hour cartoon channels. Why anyone would want a 24-hour cartooon channel, let alone two of them is beyond me.
                        I know a lot of adults who watch those 24-hour cartoon channels. I can't stand most of the cartoons produced in the US that are aimed at kids. The majority of them are insulting, and a lot of the ones that are aimed at kids and tweenies are trying too hard to be clever and end up just lame.

I want to know what channel you lost to the cartoons, though.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                          the electric babysitter
                          I have a new name for my TV!
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Also, it's pretty funny people would turn to country music for family/moral content. Yeah the videos are usually tamer but most country songs are about cheating/drinking/sleeping around......as long as they don't show it in the video, its family TV!

Comment

Working...
                            X