Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe we just shouldn't bother with a return policy...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe we just shouldn't bother with a return policy...

...if no one bothers to follow it anyway.

Had these two gems today:

Genius #1

SC: I bought this Xbox 360 back at the end of December and it's screwing up, it won't read discs anymore. I didn't get the extended warranty.
    (We warranty all our new products for 14 days in-store, that's it)

Me: Then I'm sorry you'll have to go through Microsoft since you are past the return period with us.

SC: But the guy who sold this to me said I had a few months within which to bring it back... (the few months likely refer to MICROSOFT's return policy, not ours)

Me: We only cover new items for 14 days. It's been that way for a long time now, there's nothing I can do for you. You'll have to go through Microsoft.

SC: That's bullshit, why bother selling something if you won't stand behind it?

Me: As I told you, our in-store coverage is only 14 days. There's nothing I can do. You'll have to take it up with Microsoft.

SC: (as he turns to leave) That's a crock of shit, this is beyond stupid.

That's what you get for not reading the fine print

Genius #2

Woman comes into return an non-working Xbox 360 (what is it with these things?) bought back in December. Fortunately this woman was smart and bought our extended warranty. Unfortunately she had lost her receipt. Without a receipt, I can't process any kind of return.

SC: I should be in your system, the warranty is under Joe Blow Jr.

Me: Unfortunately the system is not set up that way, I can't search names. Do you remember when you bought the unit? (Now I admit it would be very helpful if we could search warranties by name, but we are unable to do it.)

SC: late november, early december, around there.

(as if that narrows it down much)

Me: Ok let me see what I can find.

I graciously spend a few minutes going through several days worth of transactions, trying to find this woman's sale. These were records from the holiday season so there were a lot of them. Took me maybe five or so minutes to browse through, at this point my colleague mentions we have no on hand stock of 360s to replace it with.

SC: So you have no 360's in stock right now to replace this?

Me: Unfortunately no.

SC: So why have I been standing here? Why not tell me that to begin with? I live 40 minutes from here and I'm in a hurry.

Me: Well even if you wanted to do a return at another store that did have some in stock, you would still NEED your receipt, which I was trying to find for you. (and I was SO tempted to add:"because you managed to lose it!")

At this point she tells me a sob story about how she's been trying to find a replacement system for three months (BS, 360s aren't THAT scarce!) and she's tired of running around for them. So then she gives me her contact info and tells me to call her if WHEN (not if) I find her receipt info because she has to go now.

Let me make something clear here. I was not obligated to look up anything for this woman, if you lose the receipt, I routinely do not have to time to review DAYS worth of sales logs to try to find the sale.

She left in a bit of a huff and I was pretty frustrated myself because I had gone above and beyond with this woman and she just got increasingly agiated with me because I couldn't find a record of a sale she could barely recall making and did NOT have a receipt for!

It always frustrates me how they say "why can't you just look it up?" as if my computer was some massive database that could be searched any possible way you could think of. I CAN do searches, but only on certain things. And please don't get me started on people who think it's easy to look some old transaction if they just give me their credit card number.

Or how about this one: "I know you were the one I dealt with, surely you remember me". I see hundreds of people a DAY at work, do you really expect me to remember someone I was in contact with for only a few moments back in November?? Unless there was something particularly unique or infamous about you, I'm not going to remember you!

Ok I'm done venting, but I think there's an important lesson in here: Microsoft makes crappy products
    Last edited by CrazedClerk; 02-04-2007, 10:12 PM.

Or how about this one: "I know you were the one I dealt with, surely you remember me". I see hundreds of people a DAY at work, do you really expect me to remember someone I was in contact with for only a few moments back in November?? Unless there was something particularly unique or infamous about you, I'm not going to remember you!
    Bet you'll remember me NOW!!!

I've asked myself that so many times: Why do I bother with the return policy when they just go over my head and get what they want anyway?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
      Woman comes into return an non-working Xbox 360 (what is it with these things?)
      "Microsoft". They're the McDonalds/WalMart of the electronics world. They're everwhere, most people think of them before their competitors, but the quality is sometimes suspect.
      Last edited by Gurndigarn; 02-05-2007, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Ok I'm done venting, but I think there's an important lesson in here: Microsoft makes crappy products
        Hehehe... Microsoft sux... That does just about sum it up.

Comment

Hey, do me a huge favor...

DO....NOT...LOOK...for her stupid receipt. Screw her if she's going to act like that. She acts as though you have nothing better to do than to service her needs.
          Oh, "Blah blah blah 'Your Needs'!"

Comment

Woman comes into return an non-working Xbox 360 (what is it with these things?)
            Not a thing. Mine has worked fine since I brought it home, two weeks after launch. If they have had them that long before failue, I'd guess user error. Likely not giving it enough breathing space, as they DO run hot, and will overheat in an enclosed space.

OT, Let's not get into company bashing here. I'm well-versed in all of the companies, and they all have serious downsides. Yes I'm looking at you Mac users.

Both of you.

j/k
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I also sell the 360's and deal with similar crap. When we sell an extended warranty on anything, we make sure they know that if they lose their receipt and warranty form, they are screwed. I've even put it like that: "Sir, make sure you don't lose this cause if you do, there's nothing I can do for you. You'll be screwed." Amazingly, people don't mind it when I put it like that, and they also seem to be thankful.

I guess it's cause they like it when things are brought down to their level.

Comment

This has nothing to do with gaming consoles, but with return policies itself.
                Where I work, customers can return anything we sell at any time, it seems.
                Printed on the cans of paint are the words: CUSTOM MIXED PAINT CANNOT BE RETURNED
                But that doesn't stop them. They return the stuff anyway. I have seen paint come back that has been:
                Custom made to customer's specifications
                "Oops" paint (paint we mixed, but messed up)
                Cans with half the content missing (they use what they need and return the rest. And they get full credit for it!!)
                And we get back:
                Used paint brushes and rollers
                Used paint sprayers

The other day we had returned a completely empty can of woodstain. It was a quart of ready-made color, but still. We were told the customer used it, and then decided she didn't like how it looked on her furniture. Ok, but why use all of it, and THEN decide you don't like it?

Needless to say, our store has a very liberal return policy.
                Age and wisdom don't necessarily go together. Some people just become stupid with more authority.

"Who put the goat in there? The yellow goat I ate."

Comment

Knightmare, who in the world authorizes all of that? I refund more stuff than any other CSR in my store (I also get more upsell than my coworkers, so I get away with it), but even then, it has to be somewhat reasonable.

Are your managers just pushovers or what? Or does someone in the refund section just truely not care and think that they need to retain the "business" of people who don't actually make your company any money?

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                    This has nothing to do with gaming consoles, but with return policies itself.
                    Where I work, customers can return anything we sell at any time, it seems.
                    Printed on the cans of paint are the words: CUSTOM MIXED PAINT CANNOT BE RETURNED
                    But that doesn't stop them. They return the stuff anyway. I have seen paint come back that has been:
                    Custom made to customer's specifications
                    "Oops" paint (paint we mixed, but messed up)
                    Cans with half the content missing (they use what they need and return the rest. And they get full credit for it!!)
                    And we get back:
                    Used paint brushes and rollers
                    Used paint sprayers

The other day we had returned a completely empty can of woodstain. It was a quart of ready-made color, but still. We were told the customer used it, and then decided she didn't like how it looked on her furniture. Ok, but why use all of it, and THEN decide you don't like it?

Needless to say, our store has a very liberal return policy.

What the hell? We have a box of mostly empty paint cans...we got blue and white from my room, pink from the bathroom, green from the other bathroom, wood stain from the kitchen... god knows what else... I would never even think to try to return it. You used it up...why should you get your money back? I can understand getting home and realizing it's not what you ordered (in the case of "oops") or testing a small bit and realizing you don't like it, but returning an empty can???
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

At this point she tells me a sob story about how she's been trying to find a replacement system for three months
                      But...but...she bought it in early December-ish? So how has she been doing this for three months? It's barely been 2 months, even if the thing kicked the bucket immediately, and only a little over a month since Christmas. People are such liars and they exagerate. Argh. :-P

We get this kind of stuff at my work all the time. People buy/order equipment, the warranty is 1 year, no give or take, and people sometimes let the equipment sit for over a year before they even open the box to make sure it works. Or are upset when the equipment fails after 1 year and 10 days. Nothing I can do. 1 year is 1 year, and we have to draw a line somewhere, buddy.
                      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

That's a good thread there. I have an XBOX 360, have had it for a little over four months now and have had no problems with it whatsoever. It stays on my entertainment center and never leaves the house, nor does it get bumped around or jostled. Maybe that's why these people are having those problems. And, I kept my receipt and still have it just in case I may need to use it at a later time. Any time I make a huge investment on merchandise like this, I will definitely be keeping the receipt until such a time has passed.

And yes, you had better remember me the next time six months pass and I need to talk to you. lol

Comment

Quoth Knightmare View Post
                          Do you also get people who buy a piece of lumber, cut off what they need, and then return what's left over?

That thought crossed my mind when I was finishing my basement all those years ago. I cut a 2X4 in half, and I noticed the part I wasn't using still had the tag stapled to the end. How many cashiers would just scan the tag and give the refund, not noticing the piece was shorter than it was supposed to be? Especially if it was during a rush?
                          Sometimes life is altered.
                          Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                          Uneasy with confrontation.
                          Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

I got the SO an Xbox 360 on release day! (Thank You Amazon!!) He plays it fairly regularly and has not had any troubles to this day. We did do our bug research, and when we started seeing reports of overheating we spent the $10 for an auxillary fan that mounts to the back. Amazing what a little research will do!

It has been left on for over 24 hours straight when he first got Oblivion, and still did not overheat.
                            The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

My 360 did conk out, so thank goodness for the extended warranty from the store we got it from. It was making some funky grinding noises when it was reading discs. I also suspect the laser head hit one of my games and scratched the disc, judging by the symmetric scratches on it. Ah well, it still plays, I just have to remember to save often.

We kept the receipt and warranty info in the box, so all we had to do was take it back and they replaced it. Heck, we went ahead and upgraded to the spiffier version while we were at it. This one's worked fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X