This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychiatric review

So I had a psychiatric review today, because I have been....almost near-constantly hyperactive (fast speech, concentration issues and memory lapses) and it was recommended by my counsellor.

After the session today with the counsellor where I was extremely nervous, I was all over the place. I was nervously laughing one minute and crying the next, more when he mentioned something that struck a chord. He thinks that it MIGHT be what's known as a "mixed state". In layman's terms, if you think of a manic episode as being like chocolate ice cream and a depressive episode like strawberry ice cream, a mixed state would be the chocolate ice cream having strawberry topping on it (or vice versa). He can't put a particular label on it though, because of the mixed state, so it could be bipolar, it could be ADHD, it could be something else.

Basically I have two options: go on DBT (Dialetical Behaviour Therapy) or go on medication to treat the symptoms. So here are my questions:

1) If anyone has been through DBT what should I expect?

2) Can anyone provide a bit more information about ziprasidone or some other bipolar med that starts with a v, valpromate or something like that? I'm really paranoid about weight gain as I'm trying to actually LOSE weight, not gain it.

3) Teachers and teaching students, how can I avoid this affecting me in the long term?
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

I think 'valpromate' may be referring to Sodium Valproate, which is the drug I take for my epilepsy...
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
      I think 'valpromate' may be referring to Sodium Valproate, which is the drug I take for my epilepsy...
      A bit of detective work reveals that a number of epilepsy medications are used to treat "mixed states".

I've had a bit more of a look at different medications. And frankly, the side effects scare the absolute crap out of me. I pretty much see food and I put on weight.

But some of the side effects I've been reading up on include drowsiness, anxiety, restlessness and whatnot. The issue is the long-term issues, like the heart and liver problems.

Can anyone recommend other medications for bipolar?
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        Can anyone recommend other medications for bipolar?
        Sure....a doctor. But not anyone on CS because this is NOT a medical advice forum.
        "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
        X