This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hit and run on my parked car

Super pissed and depressed about this so I've got to rant somewhere.

I put in a hard day at work, head to the trunk of the car to put my tools in and see that some asshole whacked the back of my car while it was parked. It's a really strange hit because it's only the upper portion of my trunk that got hit, about 42 inches above the ground. I figure it had to be a truck that did it, but I can't figure out how it did that without the lower bumper whacking me also. I'm going to ask the boss if I can check the security footage from yesterday, but I'm pretty sure I was out of the camera's view so I'm probably shit outta luck.

I don't even know what to do. I figure I've got to report this to the police just so I'm not constantly pulled over for driving a damaged vehicle. But this raises a whole insurance issue. I've got my car listed as pleasure use only, as in NOT driven to work (yes, I know that's bad, but rates are so high that I had to cheat). I'm guessing my insurance won't even cover this and they're going to give me shit for driving it to work and raise my rates regardless.

Smurfity smurf smurf smurf.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Maybe a pickup truck (Ute) with the tailgate down?
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Bull bars? Those are the only things I can think of that would hit high but not low.

Comment

Could also be a panel truck, at that height. A lot of those I see don't have the rear "cow catcher" that prevents cars from running up under them from behind.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Even if your car was out of view, the footage may show the car or truck that did it, maybe with some damage to their truck.
          Could it have been a forklift prong? That could cause the damage higher up without touching the bumper.
          "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I had damage like that on my trunk. Turned out it was from one of those strap to the back of the car bicycle racks.

Comment

So I got some good news today (for a change). It was actually a large rock that hit my car, it had shot out from a maintenace guy's lawnmower. Looking at the damage, it's fortunate nobody was killed. The whole thing was witnessed and the guy can't deny anything. I've got a call in to him, he hasn't called me back so I'm giving him until the morning before I start harassing him. I'm hoping he's going to be a standup guy, but if not, I am more than willing to sue.
              D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
              Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

A lawnmower threw a rock that big that hard? Ho-lee crap! How the hell does that thing not have a fling guard on it?
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  A lawnmower threw a rock that big that hard? Ho-lee crap! How the hell does that thing not have a fling guard on it?
                  Certainly something that will come up in the case. On top of his responsibility to check and watch for such objects, he should have some kind of safe guard like that. I mean, this thing would have literally killed someone if it had struck them. Let's see the asshole dodge them when that happens. I'm going to the cops tomorrow to see if they'll be willing to help, but it looks like I'll be stalking his guy to get his info, then sueing him.
                  D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Comment

If he was a maintenance man it is probably either the landlords or landscaping company that owns the lawnmower, so his details won't help you much, also typically lawn care people (unless specialized) don't make a lot of money. Suing him is probably going to be as useful as pelting him with marshmallows. Suing the company that owns the lawnmower, with the guard removed, or improper guard may be more fruitful, they also probably have some sort of liability insurance that would be willing to cover a small damage claim without court.
                    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Working...
                    X