This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to contact my Marine friend?

I have an old buddy of mine who I originally met on a dating site when I was 18, but we just became friends. He is/was a Marine, and I was sure he got out back in late 2011 (he said at the time they were letting go people who were done with their four years automatically)

I last spoke to him around this time in 2012, went to Japan, came back, and no contact since. He talked about going back, and spoke about going to school if he wasn't going back in the same state.

We usually spent like up to 8 months lull in contact, but the last five months, I've been slowly trying to reach him, but by today, I'm worried. He doesn't go on his FB much, only has 15 friends on it, and rarely has friends posting on his wall. His phone number changed sometime after mine did (and its my fault for not letting him know back then...I was constantly changing numbers)

I have the email and I sent a few, here and there. But I really miss hanging and talking to the guy, and after some personal things, I'm just wondering what to do.

I realize I sound kind of desperate. Oops XD; We never left on bad terms, we're both too cool with each other for that. Its just the way I contact people with technology, he never truly cared for to do himself. He preferred phone calls and text., so when I changed my number too constantly, and the one change he makes once in a great moon, its harder to reach him.

I have some things I want to share and reach out to him for, hence why I'm asking now. Some friends suggested rallypoint or linkedin, but he was on neither. (It doesn't help that he was born in another country and the shortened version of his Korean name is the same as many Chinese students...)

Any tips? I didn't know this is important enough to others to be considered asking for "Life Advice" but yeah

The military MAY be willing to help you, and might have some way to contact him such as a mailing address, as he is no longer in active service. No way to tell for sure. Could be worth a shot.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      The military MAY be willing to help you, and might have some way to contact him such as a mailing address, as he is no longer in active service. No way to tell for sure. Could be worth a shot.
      And the worst that happens from trying that route is you're told "Sorry, can't help you." and you're right exactly where you started. Worth trying.

How long ago did he change his phone number? You might be able to do a reverse lookup on his old number and get an address, trying mailing a letter to that address with 'Return Service Requested' on the envelope, I think that will get you a postcard from the USPS with a current forwarding address if there is one. You may have to pay extra for the service, I'd recommend going into a post office and asking. The letter will be actually forwarded, so include your current contact info in it.
      Last edited by Kittish; 08-23-2014, 08:58 PM.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
        And the worst that happens from trying that route is you're told "Sorry, can't help you." and you're right exactly where you started. Worth trying.

How long ago did he change his phone number? You might be able to do a reverse lookup on his old number and get an address, trying mailing a letter to that address with 'Return Service Requested' on the envelope, I think that will get you a postcard from the USPS with a current forwarding address if there is one. You may have to pay extra for the service, I'd recommend going into a post office and asking. The letter will be actually forwarded, so include your current contact info in it.
        He changed his number anytime within mid 2013 to recently...so I dunno...can you message me how to look for an address with that info?

Comment

I'd hit up the FB friends. Just send them all a boiler plate message along the lines of "Hey, lost touch with Mr. X, can any of you that see/talk to him have him PM me?" In this world of changing numbers and international mobility, I don't think that sounds odd at all.

Comment

Working...
          X