X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone/Sim/Canada questions

Hey guys

So next year I'm going to visit my parents (YAY!) in SK Canada. I'm wanting to take my old phone with me so I can keep in contact and wander off by myself if I want to. (HTC Desire )

Can anyone advise if I'd be able to get a prepaid mini-SIM in Canada to stick into the phone?

Thanks
    The report button - not just for decoration

I would think so. I live in NB so the cell phone providers may be different in SK, but here, I know that Telus and Koodo (basically the same company)and I think Virgin Mobile do prepaid phone service. I think as long as your phone is unlocked, you should be fine.

Comment

It will work as long as it uses the same frequencies as one of the Canadian carriers. There are differences depending on how the radio spectrum is allocated in each country. You may be safer getting a cheap prepaid phone like this one:
      http://mobility.petro-canada.ca/en/phones/627.aspx
      (No idea if it is any good... I just picked it because Petro Canada stations are easy to find)
      There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

You might have some issues. The only carrier in Saskatoon that's partially compatible with your phone is Roger's and the only towers they have that are partially compatible are concentrated in major cities only. Your phone should technically work but whether or not you get 3G data speeds will depend on where you are and if the gods are merciful.

On the other hand micro sim cards for prepaid are only $10 so its not an expensive experiment. If you're anywhere near a Rogers store when you get here they can test it for you.

All else fails pretty much any 7/11, Petro Can, etc here sells cheap pre-paid cells.

Comment

When you said "SIM card", I assume you're using a GSM phone (most common system outside North America, and the type that uses a SIM card - other types might use a card, but not a SIM - as an analogy, you can get a Ford F250 with a V-8 diesel engine, but it won't be a Duramax, since that's GM's name for their V-8 diesel - and Dollarama's house brand for tools). In Canada, only Rogers (and Fido - a discount carrier which Rogers bought out a few years back) run GSM, so they'd be the ones you'd need to talk to regarding a pre-paid SIM.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Is your handset unlocked?

Comment

According to the law in my country, phones are NOT allowed to be locked to any network at all. Ever. MWAHAHAHAHAHAH

Also, I'm willing to take the risk - I don't need massive speeds when I'm away from wifi, I just need a means of keeping in contact. I'm visiting my parents for 10 days, and I love them super much, but I know I'm going to need to get out for a couple hours every couple days just to stop from killing them

According to GSM arena, it'll work in the North Americas so...hurray?
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
              X