Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the economy THAT bad or are people just crappy??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth blas View Post
    I thought it was just an old person thing, you know, Depression babies.
    I thought so too. My grandma used to do that occasionally. Even as a kid I remember thinking it wasn't right, but she used to use the 'Depression' excuse too.

I was actually more shocked about people filling up their baby's bottles and sippy cups before they shopped.
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
      When I worked at both restaurants, little old ladies were always stealing the little butters and jellies.
      There used to be an IHOP next to the motel. Once, I found a room where the guests had not only stolen all the little jellies, but they'd taken the little holders as well. They just took the whole set-up back to the room with them. I was very surprised I did not find the syrup bottles...of course it's always possible they took those with them when they checked out.
      Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

i have issues with napkins.... im messy and always get too many if i eat out a lot of times in the week i wind up with a purse full... though that does keep me from eating out more than i have/need to (have to cause there nothing to eat that doesnt require cooking and guilt for eating moms cooking food need cause if i dont eat soon ill pass out from low blood sugar.)

Comment

Quoth BaristaTrav View Post
          Yup.. had that happen all the time at the old s-bux too.. and corporate in their infinite wisdom put us in a terrific catch-22. They wanted the dispensers "filled up" at all times but the manager was ticked about inventory always being down and always having to re-order sugar packets to keep the thief supply lines going.
          but in corp-think that is just supposed to be a "cost of doing business". then they turn around and wack your GM cause his food cost is so high
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I fully admit to frequently taking too many sugars when I get coffee, mostly because I just grab a few and go, I don't fix up my drink right then and there and I got used to grabbing a certain amount for big lattes back when I worked morning shift but now I usually grab sweeter and/or smaller drinks, still at most I take two extras, I can't imagine just taking a literal handful or more.

Comment

I work with a woman who has more money than God. She used to take a fistful of the artificial sweeteners from the cafeteria every day at lunch. The kicker was she wasn't even buying coffee or tea to put it in. She took it home.

She stopped after someone left a coupon on her desk for that brand of sweetener. Imagine a high-pitched, nasal voice, loudly asking: "Who left this on my desk?" No one answered. But she got the point.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Now, I used to take too many packages of ketchup. Then McDonalds told me that they were going to start charging people a quarter for any packets above a certain (reasonable number, three or four I think.)

They explained to me that they thought this was stealing, and that they had to pay (a lot) to replenish the ketchup. So I stopped taking more than I needed.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

yep, while those items are bought in bulk, it still costs and someone taking a full container is about equal to taking a half a box of sweetener. of course, these are the same people bitching about rising prices everywhere.

we'd had the same issue with milk thieves, but weren't allowed to do anything except watch who we gave out water cups to. (which was also an issue, since we were expected to provide 'free' water to any old schmoe off the street, customer or not; caused too damn many cup shortages, but corporate doesn't see it that way)
                  look! it's ghengis khan!
                  Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

This reminds me.

Back in the early '90s when I was working in Manhattan, there was a deli down the block from the store where I'd get soda or what have you. There was a box of straws near the register, where I'd get one for my soda. One day I was getting my soda and went for a straw, and the counterman (who is also the owner) was grumbling about something that had just happened. Seems a guy had come in and asked if he could have "a few" straws. He told him OK, whereupon the guy reaches into the box with an open hand and grabs the whole lot. Must have been about a hundred straws there. The owner said he reached across the counter and clamped down on the guy's wrist and snapped "That's not 'a few', buddy!" He wouldn't let go until the idiot let go the straws. He just couldn't believe the chutzpah of this guy.

Comment

We had (note this .. had) an mini freezer at work that kept ice. Somebody kept taking all the ice at the end of the day...the freezer was put up and we no longer have it. Stealing ice..*sighs* how cheap can you be?

Normally I am asking for less packets when I go somewhere, they hand me a big handful and I think "Who needs this much?!"
                      Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Okay, granted I don't do this anymore, but feel free to get a laugh out of this.

When I was a wee-little Micer (like 6) I used to collect jelly packets, especially the little Welshes ones, I wouldn't take the whole thing of them mind you, but one of each, or one I knew I didn't have. Didn't even like jelly or jam at that time, but loved how they looked.

Drove my mom nuts, we had a collection of my spoils in the fridge, which I suppose she grudgingly said okay to when we had bagels in the house and needed to use them.

Anyhow, the thing that ended my collection days?

Butter. Those little pats sandwiched between two pieces of wax-paper. Now combine it with it being placed in the back pocket of my pants that morning at breakfast followed by a trip to Disney in the summer. Followed by my mother flipping her lid when she asked me what was melting/staining through my back pocket in line for Peter Pan.

Fun times.
                        Okay everyone, lets all point and laugh at him right about....

Now.

Comment

uhm...*whistles* I do that. Oten. Mind you, I'm in college, so I get my honey/sugar/tea from my school's dining hall, from which I pay for a meal plan, but...

Comment

I used to collect condiments as well, when I was doing re-enactment and camping a lot during the summer. But I never took that many (2-3 packets at a time) and only when I'd bought a meal there - little packets are much easier when you're trying to keep your pack small
                            Lady, people aren't chocolates. D'you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard filling. Dr Cox - Scrubs

Comment

Whenever I get coffee someplace (which is rare now- college students can't afford nice coffee. ) I always get strange looks because I always take a LOT of half and half and about 10 packets of sugar for a medium coffee.

But... I use all of it! D:

Comment

Working...
                              X