This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORONS!

The hubbie and I are in the process of buying our first home YAY! And so we had to clear out all of our past debts. I had one at a credit union for 299 (as said on the paperwork) it was from an accident that occured SEVEN years ago that should have been gone by now since I had full coverage and gap but that's a different bitch story....

Anyway, I tried to contact the company over the phone but when I talked to Stacy (named changed) the person in charge of helping me with my problem I found out she can't do a debit over the phone (at a bank!) because her CEO was on vacation.... Seriously?

Stacy also screens ALL her or his (?) phone calls. That was obnoxious.

The funny thing is, I could not tell if it was a man or woman on the phone. It was a DEEP voice that sounded like the gym teacher Mrs. Man off of Scary Movie. That's what I was expecting. Not to be rude or anything but I had a voice visual.

So, the hubs and I decided to go down there. It's like a fourty five min drive. We get there and Stacy is on break or something and we are told to wait. Oh my god. It was the scene from Without a Paddle. It was a serious hick town.

Finally Stacy comes out, and to my surprise she's AN OLD LADY.

Okay, enough BS here comes the suck.

So she takes us into her office and (we brought cash!) and drops the bomb that they charged us interest and we now owe 366.25. Luckily we had that much on us since the hubs just got his two weeks worth of tips.

She had some other lady looking up our info and stuff. Finally, it's paid. Stacy could NOT figure out what our change was going to be... Really!? .75 cents is a hard concept?? You should NOT be working in a bank!

Anyway, I called my mortgage person from there to make sure we got all the sufficent paper work that we needed. Nope, we needed a letter stating that the debt is gone and has been paid in FULL.

Stacy did NOT like that and flat out refused.

So, I asked if she'd like to speak to my mortgage person. I handed the old hag my cell phone and she was SOOO rude to my MP. I love my MP she is awesome as hell.

Anyway, finally MP said something to Stacy that made her start bitching.

Stacy: I guess I could. Hmmph. Are you serious!? (sighed a bunch of times and then hung up on her!!)

I was shocked. She was so unprofessional and condesending.

Stacy: I can't believe we have to do that!

I was getting fed up: Me: Oh, we're so sorry!!! (I said with a bitch attitude. Hubs had to shush me)

The other lady and said no it's okay...

Then stacy proceeded to bitch about my co signer saying what a rude bastard he was. He's my dad and has had brain surgery. So screw you lady! He wasn't present but she dealt with him 7 yrs back and he hung up on her cuz she was being a bitch.

Stacy and the nicer lady could NOT figure out how to print a receipt of any kind. And Stacy acted like us even being there was a HUGE inconvience to her. Shouldn't she be glad we're finally paying this shit?

Anyway, finally we get the shit done. Stacy still grumbling that she had to actually work and type a freaking letter!

It turns out MP said; well, if you'd like I can have the companies contact you. Though I'm not sure if you'd like the 30 something odd calls but that can be arranged OR you can give me the letter.

I love MP. That and Stacy told us it was going to be MONTHS before the payment would be shown as cleared. I almost died right there. We didn't have months, we had days. But MP assured us she'd have it done in days.

But in the end we left and I felt my brain cells cry on the way out. Her attitude towards us was rude and she acted like we were idiots the whole time. I am sooo glad I don't bank there!

I think my brain just BSOD'd.

Sometimes I get calls/e-mails about customers wanting to pay off their debt + get it documented for various reasons, and it takes me at max 4-5 minutes to register the payment, file it under the account AND write out a receipt. And such an event only occurs 2-3 times per week --- at a bank / credit union I assume these thing would occur several times every effing day?!
    A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

I know it varies by state, but aren't debts older than 7 years supposed to drop off your credit report?

And about the jerk, complain to corporate. Hell, get your MP to complain to corporate. The lady has probably been there so long she's bulletproof, but you never know.
      A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

They don't actually want you to pay it off because if you don't, they can keep charging you interest and late fees.

Plus, she was a bitch.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
          I know it varies by state, but aren't debts older than 7 years supposed to drop off your credit report?

And about the jerk, complain to corporate. Hell, get your MP to complain to corporate. The lady has probably been there so long she's bulletproof, but you never know.
          I think that's debts that you haven't paid on. I could be wrong.

Also, MP will want to complain to the Board of Directors and the NCUA since it sounds like the credit union was trying to hinder a transaction. That's a big no no.

I put in a complaint to the NCUA about the credit union that services our 2nd mortgage because they refused to give us our 1098-INT form for the interest we paid for the first year we owned our home when we were doing taxes. Their argument was that it was less than $600, so they didn't have to pay. My argument was we paid that interest, we want our damned credit, and that interest gets reported to the government anyway! After a long battle with them they finally credited our account something like $60, but that was only after I complained to the NCUA.
          Random conversation:
          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
            All negative reporting older than 7 years is supposed to fall off your credit report.

How long a creditor can come after you for a debt varies from state to state, but actually averages 3-4 years (but the negative information can stay up to 7 on your credit report, which is a different issue).

However, some creditors get around this by selling your debt to "vulture" debt collectors, who reset the clock and can continue coming after you for years. I've had this happen to me. The cure for this is to demand: 1) who the debt was originally owed to, 2) the amount originally owed, 3) what the debt is specifically owed for (they have to provide detailed information, they can't just pick a number out of the air), and 4) proof that they actually owe the debt.

If they can't/won't comply, then they can't come after you in court. They can still put negative information on your credit report, and because the credit reporting companies aren't obligated to investigate anything . . . they just take the creditor's word for it. The only way you can get negative info off is to either wait it out, or provide written proof that you paid the debt.

I had a vulture collector come after me over a cell phone bill, two years after I paid it off. Fortunately, I still had the documentation, and could tell him to pound sand.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

A collection could stay on your credit for seven years from the day the collection was last reported to the credit agency. Usually, that is the day that they charge off the collection as noncollectable. Negative accounts are marked noncollectable after90 days. Loans can go through some time of late payments/attempts to contact before they are finally given up on, and even then they could get sold to a collection agency and refreshed on your credit report as a new collection.

So, you pay a debt in full, and it can actually cause the report to the credit agencies to be updated as paid in full [today's date] and be on there, affecting your credit, for another seven years. Not as badly as an unpaid collection, but still a derogatory. I've heard of some people getting around that by disputing the charge with the credit agencies (transunion, equifax, experian) after they've paid it. When you dispute, the credit agencies send an inquiry letter to the lender who filed the collection. If the bills is paid, the lender usually doesn't argue with the dispute, and the record vanishes.

As for the debit card thing, most credit unions are pretty small, like my bank. It's not uncommon for such to not be set up with a credit card machine. We very rarely run into a case where we need one, after all we can access our own checking account/credit cards directly and we don't actually sell merchandise. We do have a cash advance machine, but it requires us to have the physical card, so wouldn't help over the phone. I guess there isn't a whole lot of motivation for us to pay for a system that makes it easier for our customers to use their other bank or credit union.

But, I can tell you from the position of someone who has helped former customers pay off old debt, once they were in front of me in person, I would have had the payment applied, the change given (seriously, she couldn't make change that easy? or if she brain-burped, didn't have a computer that would do the math for her?), and I would have OFFERED to write out the letter on our letterhead stating the charge was paid as full because I know my own collections department can take up to 30 days to get the update onto the credit reports (we actually report once every 30 days in one big packet,or so I've been told, so it could go quicker).

And we would have been kind as hell with someone who actually wanted to pay a collection, especially one so old. But ours probably would have dropped off the credit report and only showed on our own records (because we can refuse service to anyone who has ever caused us a loss, even if it was due to bankruptcy,though we cannot ask the latter to ever repay).

Comment

Working...
              X