This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheard

O while I sit in the ER with Mom I've been able to hear a few things.

One of how our Indian ancestry was pegged by just one look to our eyes and that he placed us as both northerners.

But also a couple snippets of other conversations...one stands out however.

Guy: I've got tape on my groin now, but that's the important bit.

I really wish I knew what the conversation is about cause it both caused us to giggle.

1. Did he get it right? Some people are really into anthropology and have a good eye for identifying people of different cultures.

2. My guess is he had a Foley catheter (a rubber tube that goes into the urethra to the bladder to drain urine), and whoever initially put it in did not secure it to the leg so it was pulling . . . which is very uncomfortable.

Or, he had a dressing on his groin for some reason; perhaps an abscess for some reason.

Either way, ouch!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

1. Yup, even got the right part of the tribe.

2. I dunno but it just made me giggle the way he said it. :P

3. Mom has a broken back....crushed one of her lower vertibre.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
        1. Yup, even got the right part of the tribe.

2. I dunno but it just made me giggle the way he said it. :P

3. Mom has a broken back....crushed one of her lower vertibre.
        Oh dear! How awful. Are they doing to do surgery?
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I was wrong she crushed two vertebrae.

They gave her options and then because she can still feel everything are waiting for a neuro surgeon to come in. Should know something by 1 tomorrow.

Comment

So no surgery as of yet but because of timing one of the docs has a new nickname. See mom was trying to write something down and my pen died. He happened to walk in and she said "Oh pen is here."

He blinked and handed over his pen muttering that "first time I've been called a pen" when he came back he announced himself as "Pen has returned." He also thanked Mom for " flying with Borgess air and if she has any questions to please raise her tray table and wait for the train to end." Who would have thunk that the head of internal diagnostics would have a great sense of humor?

When he just finished visiting today Mom called and said that "Pen" visited and checked up on her. He even knocked and said "Pen is here are we having a naked party?"

Other then being a bit loopy on the high pain meds Mom has been joking with the nurses and doctors except for a bit yesterday morning. The nurse pulled me to the side and said she was acting like a 5 year old about to have a tantrum. Turns out her every six hour pain med had worn off and Mom was HURTING. They got her a shot of the liquid heaven and she got all loopy happy again and shifted the med to every 5 hours.

EDIT: Pen has visited again, turns out most of the nursing staff on that floor have started calling him that. He says Mom has to get better soon before the whole hospital starts since nurses talk between floors. ;P

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              EDIT: Pen has visited again, turns out most of the nursing staff on that floor have started calling him that. He says Mom has to get better soon before the whole hospital starts since nurses talk between floors. ;P
              When they start asking where Teller is, then he's in trouble.

I do hope your mother has a good surgery and a speedy and thorough recovery. I'd offer a but not in her condition...
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

At least the doctor didn't mishear the phrase "Pen is here" for one with just 2 words.
                I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Well, I'm sorry to hear about your mother's condition, but she seems to be making the best of it and it seems the staff is taking good care of her.

Comment

Working...
                  X