X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No, those aren't onion rings....

I love watching sushi virgins.

The other night I was at a sushi place with my boyfriend. We're sitting at the bar (you need 3 or more people to get a booth) and a nice lady sits next to us. She introduces herself, my boyfriend and I introduce ourselves, the evening seems to be going nicely.

The sushi place works with sushi being brought to people on a circular conveyor belt. booths and the bar are placed around the conveyor belt so when you see a plate you like, you can reach out and grab it. Now, it used to be you would pay a certain amount concerning the color of the plate you grab (it was like green plates were $1, orange $1.25, and so on) but they started what was supposed to be a temporary sale with all plates being a dollar, and it's been going on for the last two years. It must be really profitable I guess.

As we're sitting there waiting for the dishes we like to come up, the lady reveals she's never had sushi. I ask what she likes to eat and if she has any food borne allergies to see what plates I can recommend.

This is what happens

R: Your favorite muffin
    D: Boyfriend
    SV: Sushi virgin

R: So, what foods do you like? Do you have any allergies or anything?

SV: What? That's kind of personal don't you think?

R: Sorry, I was just trying to get some information to help you choose something you might like.

SV: Oh, I know what I like. (spies some Kalimari) Oh! Onion Rings!

(Note, Kalimari is deep fried squid. I don't really know how this lady mistook this for onion rings since it really isn't circular or ring like)

R: No, that's Kalimari. It's-

SV: Is that Asian for onion rings? (AN: Asian is now a language?) (grabs the onion rings off the belt)

R: Um, those aren't onion rings. That's fried squid. This restaurant doesn't have onion rings.

SV: Oh that's silly. You're a little girl! I've had onion rings before. Or should I call them Kalimari?

R: They're not onion rings. Kalimari is deep fried squid.

SV: (picking up a large piece of kalimari) Oh, you need to study more in school and learn your foods. (takes a bite out of the piece of kalimari and then gets a weird look on her face) Something's wrong with these onion rings.

R: They're not onion rings. They are fried squid.

SV: I'm going to tell the waiter that these onion rings are bad. This is ridiculous. This is horrible customer service.

D: (sees I'm about to try and confront the SV) Don't open your mouth, it appears the patient is brain dead.

R: I tried my best.

D: Yeah, well there's only so much you can do when talking to a brick wall. I'm going to order some tea.

The remainder of this dinner is my boyfriend and I eating out dinner and ignoring SV as she makes a stink about how the "onion rings" aren't made right. Finally, they actually refund her meal and she leaves.

Seriously, when is it okay to just smack someone upside the head like in a v8 commercial cause they're being stupid.

I HATE when people talk down to me 'cause they know they're wrong, and are embarrassed.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Oh dear lord, that woman should not be allowed to breed.....

Even I knew from a young age that calimari was NOT an onion ring.
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Nooooo.... a waste of squid!!!!

*crys*

Comment

Even Child Rum (7 years old, has autism) knows what calimari is! It's one of her favorite foods to eat. (Can't get the kid to eat red meat - not even hamburger, but she'll eat calimari ... Should I be concerned? :lol)

FTR, she doesn't like onion rings (that I know of, I don't like onion rings, so I don't order them, so I don't think she's ever had them before).

Child Rum knows that calimari is fried squid. Even she'd have told the lady she was stupid.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post

Child Rum knows that calimari is fried squid. Even she'd have told the lady she was stupid.
            That would've made the pwnage even sweeter. Double pwnage-when a 7-year-old with autism tells you that you're stupid because you can't tell the difference between squid and onion rings.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

on a circular conveyor belt
              oooh i love those. first time i ever tried it was in japan.
              though i did find one of them about a year and a half ago in upstate ny

but yeah... sushi doesn't come with onion rings.

Comment

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                (Can't get the kid to eat red meat - not even hamburger, but she'll eat calimari ... Should I be concerned? )
                Well, when she gets into tentacle pr0n, you'll know why.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

That's just about as good as having some noob take a large (at least a tablespoon) of wasabi and pop it in their mouth because the waiter convinced them it wasn't that hot.
                  And before anyone gets on the waiter for doing it, this guy was the poster boy for the "rude, stupid American" stereotype we keep hearing about. Plus, his wife told him several times it was hot, and he didn't listen.

Even better was the look on his face when I did pretty much the same thing and had no reaction at all. (it really wasn't all that hot for wasabi. I've had much hotter elsewhere.)
                  "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                    That's just about as good as having some noob take a large (at least a tablespoon) of wasabi and pop it in their mouth because the waiter convinced them it wasn't that hot.
                    And before anyone gets on the waiter for doing it, this guy was the poster boy for the "rude, stupid American" stereotype we keep hearing about. Plus, his wife told him several times it was hot, and he didn't listen.

Even better was the look on his face when I did pretty much the same thing and had no reaction at all. (it really wasn't all that hot for wasabi. I've had much hotter elsewhere.)

LOL! I actually really like the wasabi they sell here in the US (I understand it's way different than real wasabi) and I used to carry a tube around to spice up the food I would bring to school. My friends never seemed to know what it was, until after I tricked them into trying a huge glob. I'm horrible sometimes

Comment

I've done that. Except I wasn't at a sushi restaurant, I was at my Grandma's house. And they were round. And my mother told me they were onion rings.
                      The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

i ADORE wasabi. LOVE IT! my first piece of sushi always has to have enough wasabi to make me see stars. It's the best part!

As for that lady - she must really not have any variation in her diet. Everyone I know and have ever met knows what calamari is (and I'm in deepest darkest Africa!!)
                        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I was in Greenland (Kangerluusaq) on work doing an install once at the airport. Most days we would pick up lunch in the airport/hotel cafeteria, which basically had pictures of the food available over the grill area, and no other indicators as to what was what. So one of the days I was there, I ordered what I thought was the onion rings.

I was wrong. :P They had fried calamari on the menu, though not fresh. (I did wonder why they served onion rings with fries at the time, IIRC. )

For the rest of the trip, I made sure to avoid the onion rings again. Never did get much of a taste for seafood of any type anyway.

Comment

Good calamari is amazing. Bad calamari is rubbery and gross. There's a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place here that serves amazing calamari.

Dangit, now I want sushi and we're broke.
                            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                              Good calamari is amazing. Bad calamari is rubbery and gross.
                              Exactly. Good calamari = tender and flavorful, especially if you get the baby ones. Deep fried Cthulhu bites FTW!

Bad calamari = deep fried rubber bands.
                              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
                              X