This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
    If there are pictures and the gowns are still available, I'm in the market!
    I'd offer mine,but it's not really a wedding dress(tea length, gauze and lace 60's style dress), though my SIL wore a "prom dress", that she got on clearance.

*link goes to facebook photo-not sure if it works for everyone....
    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 09-05-2012, 01:25 AM.
    Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
      My wife? $80 in silk, several hours with her sister (and, ultimately finishing the thing in the car as we eloped, sort of (if you count taking her parents and meeting my parents halfway between eloping)). Very pretty dress, at least as good ad a professional could do. Definitely better than a professional could have done with ten days warning.
      I bought my wedding dress at JCP Outlet for $150. Satin and embroidery, and quite lovely. Who needs to spend as much for a dress as for a car?! Who's going to remember (or care) how much the bride spent for her dress?!
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        I bought my wedding dress at JCP Outlet for $150. Satin and embroidery, and quite lovely. Who needs to spend as much for a dress as for a car?! Who's going to remember (or care) how much the bride spent for her dress?!
        Exactly.

If doing the whole "traditional" wedding thing, with photos and all that, of course you don't want something you'll look back on and cringe (or at least, you don't want to knowingly do that ). You want a pretty gown, white if that's what you prefer, that suits you, looks good on you, is in good condition - something to look at the photo albums and smile. And there are plenty of ways of getting just that without spending thousands on it.

I'd rather spend the thousands on a wonderful honeymoon for a lifetime of memories, or on a downpayment on a house or something else that will last and be of more use than the dress for one day.

As for what you spent, none of anyone's business (personally, with my friends, spending a small amount for a great gown would be a brag ). But if you have to deal with relatives or others who would look down their nose at a "bargain" dress, when they ask what you spent, simply give them a knowing little smile and say "Trust me, you don't even want to know how much this cost"

My first wedding dress, a long white gown, came from JCPenny's bridal shop, it was on clearance, fitted perfectly off the rack, and cost me about $100. My second was simply a peach coloured, knee-length lacy dress, purchased from a very upscale ladie's shop - on clearance. My daughter bought a once-worn (of course) gown that looked new, suited her perfectly, and cost a fraction of a new gown, even after paying to have it professionally taken in here & there. And we all made lovely photos, and caused no regrets for not spending a fortune.

Madness takes it's toll....
        Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
          I don't think it was a case of "too pricy" I think it was the "OMG someone else wore this and it's NOT pricy enough."

I like to watch "Say Yes to the Dress" because I love looking at the designs of the dresses and either "oooohing" or "ROFLMAOing" when I see brides put them on. I've seen plenty of ladies who refuse to pick a very beautiful dress that made them look like a Queen because "Omgawd it's only fifteen hundred, I can't say that I was in a fifteen hundred dollar dress!"

Never mind the fact that women will buy dresses that are 30 grand that look HIDEOUS and pooh-pooh at the $1,200 one that would make people look at THEM and not THE BLINDING DRESS.
          I wonder what they'd say if they knew MY wife married me in the same dress she used to marry her second husband (I'm her third, my first), though I don't think it was an actual wedding dress, per se. And for bonus points, it was a courthouse ceremony because my uncle happened to be a judge.

Comment

Ok wow turned this into a fashion debate. Sorry.
            no worries.

Quoth XCashier View Post
            my sister rented hers. with all the other expenses they had, she didn't see the point in spending so much money on a dress she'd only wear once. after all guys get to rent tuxedos so hey it's only fair.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post

[The inevitable backstory: she's Canadian, and we were fighting with immigration to get a fiancé visa, plus a few other details. In the end, it was easier to get married and then work on a spouse visa. Plus I won over the in-laws, so they didn't worry about their daughter marrying someone she met just three months before getting engaged.]
              Interesting. I am Canadian and came to the U.S. on a fiancee visa to marry my wife. Immigration has been a long and often trying process, but I've never had problems getting my visa/work permit/green card approved in a reasonable period of time. My wife and I had known each other for about six months before we got engaged.
              "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Your story reminds me of our yard sale when we were moving. I just remember one particular assclown who got peeved because I wouldn't sell him the table that we had everything on. (I had said to this dumbass that "everything" is for sale and he took it literally). When it became clear that he was just an asshole, I let him know that fine, it's for sale.... $10,000, and if he's still interested in the car, I'm letting it go for $250,000. I had to thank him for complimenting my work when he let me know that I'm an asshole.
                D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
                Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Been married twice.

Second time was in a dress I bought at Penneys, originally to perform in a waltz competition. This was 25 years ago, but if I remember right I spent all of $30 on it.

First time was in 1971. Floor length white empire-style lace dress with nine-foot lace mantilla veil. Made by my Mom. From fabric we bought when the local five-and-dime went out of business. Total cost: $23.90. I kept the receipt.

And I've seen dresses on that show that cost more than my first *house*. Dumb.

Comment

Only because the subject turned to dresses...

At last year's Hallow's Eve party, one of the contestents wores a "Jilted Bride" costume. apparently she had just gone through a nasty divorce, so she took her wedding gown, slashed the sleeves and the bottom, drizzled "blood" on it, and adheared a knife to the back. So she was a dead bride, having been stabbed in the back. Worked really well. Unfortunately she didn't win.

Comment

Quoth Analytical Gaijin View Post
                      Only because the subject turned to dresses...

At last year's Hallow's Eve party, one of the contestents wores a "Jilted Bride" costume. apparently she had just gone through a nasty divorce, so she took her wedding gown, slashed the sleeves and the bottom, drizzled "blood" on it, and adheared a knife to the back. So she was a dead bride, having been stabbed in the back. Worked really well. Unfortunately she didn't win.
                      Apparently a lot of people will do the "trash the dress" type thing these days, so I don't blame them entirely for doing so.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                        Apparently a lot of people will do the "trash the dress" type thing these days, so I don't blame them entirely for doing so.
                        My BF said it's a bit popular for photo shoots too, although I always figured it was about people partying and getting messy and frazzled. But I guess the "pissed off divorcee" can work too.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                          Didn't a woman drown trying to do that the other week?
                          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Not sure about that; there was a woman who drowned while taking wedding photos and letting her dress become water-logged.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Not sure about that; there was a woman who drowned while taking wedding photos and letting her dress become water-logged.

^-.-^
                              I thought the story we got about that here was that she'd done that while trashing the dress. Still sad, and I don't personally know why you'd want to ruin something like that, but each to their own!
                              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth KatherineB View Post
                                I thought the story we got about that here was that she'd done that while trashing the dress. Still sad, and I don't personally know why you'd want to ruin something like that, but each to their own!
                                You're only going to wear it once anyway, MIGHT AS WELL GET SOME COOL WATER SHOTS.

Though yes, water does have weight... a LOT of weight, and with that much fabric in the skirt, it will drag you like an iron anchor.
                                My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                                It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Working...
                                X