Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know anything about customer service despite doing it for many years

So I did a little bit of everything today, but was in customer service for a majority of my shift. I was on a register for a little bit, did a little bagging and did SCO for about an hr and half. All in all it was a pretty good day and for the most part didn't have any sucky customers. I wouldn't be here though if that was the end of it.

SC: Sucky Customer who's on the phone the whole time.
    Me: well who else?
    AC: Awesome previous customer

me to SC: *politely* could you step back just a bit sir?
    SC makes a rude comment I don't remember offhand.
    AC: She just asked you to step back!

When she said this, I think he thought I wasn't going to help him because he had wander off for a second and when he came back there was another customer waiting behind him. I was still going to help him because I had seen him, but I was still busy with the customer before him and just wanted him to scoot back a bit. I'll get customers that will start standing in front of me when I'm not done with the customer before them. I thought she was awesome for defending me! I finish her order and she leaves.

me to SC: you can set your stuff here on this ledge and I'll take care of it. Do you have *my store's savings card* sir?
    SC: no. just hurry up. I want to get out of here asap.
    me: ok no problem. your total is $25.20 *roughly*
    SC: *talking to person on phone* I have this cashier that doesn't know anything about customer service.
    me: *looks at him absolutely dumbfounded and like...wtf*
    SC: what was the total again?
    me: $25.20 *and I say it a little louder and bitchier because at this point I'm pretty livid*
    SC hands me two twenties and I snatch it out of his hand. I probably shouldn't have done that but I was really irritated because I haven't really ever had any complaints about me, especially at this job.

SC: If you do that again I'm going to make a complaint about you to corporate!
    me: ok?
    SC: What's your name? *looks at my badge and says my name* What's your employee number?
    Me: No I'm not giving that to you. Here's your change. Good day sir.

After that I was shaking a little bit and just overall miffed. I've never ever in all my years in customer service had a customer threaten to complain to corporate.

Quoth pltkcelestial18 View Post
    me to SC: *politely* could you step back just a bit sir?
    SC makes a rude comment I don't remember offhand.
    AC: She just asked you to step back!

When she said this, I think he thought I wasn't going to help him because he had wander off for a second and when he came back there was another customer waiting behind him. I was still going to help him because I had seen him, but I was still busy with the customer before him and just wanted him to scoot back a bit. I'll get customers that will start standing in front of me when I'm not done with the customer before them. I thought she was awesome for defending me! I finish her order and she leaves.
    I hate it when customers do that. I've had it happen plenty of times where I'm ringing up one customer and another one will come along, and instead of lining up behind the first customer, they'll stand next to them, or stand next to me in hopes that I'll stop what I'm doing and tend to them. So rude.

SC: If you do that again I'm going to make a complaint about you to corporate!
    me: ok?
    SC: What's your name? *looks at my badge and says my name* What's your employee number?
    Me: No I'm not giving that to you. Here's your change. Good day sir.
    What the heck, man? That's none of his business what your number is!

After that I was shaking a little bit and just overall miffed. I've never ever in all my years in customer service had a customer threaten to complain to corporate.

This is wishful thinking, but if you're a good employee who's always been a good worker, then you won't have much to worry about. I have no idea what your managers are like, but I'm hoping that they'll just roll their eyes and get on with the rest of their day. I've probably had customer complaints against me, but over stupid stuff. One complaint against me that I know about is when a mad customer came back because I accidentally left the ink tag on her dress, and she told my coworker to get the manager so that she could complain about me. My manager said that she would go talk to me, but she never even mentioned it! This was told to me sometime later by my coworker.
    Check out my art: http://mechanicold.deviantart.com/

Comment

Having one complaint when you generally do your job very well is not going to damage you.

I've worked at one place for 3 years, and I had a bitchy customer do the same thing to me. She actually was mostly claiming my manager was rude, but I was involved.

The higher ups in my store just asked me about it, I told them the real story, and they shrugged it off.

Comment

Quoth malmalthekiller View Post
        Having one complaint when you generally do your job very well is not going to damage you.
        This.

If customer complaints automatically got you in trouble, I'd have been gone from my job years ago.

Unless you're racking up a complaint every other day, probably nothing will ever happen. Most managers know there are some people who just can't ever be pleased.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I hate it when they're in a hurry, and simultaneously their inattention is the only thing holding up the transaction! GAAAAH

One complaint is nothing. I did my job as I was taught to & still got reprimanded, now I have a note to do what I'm asked by the customer - I'm looking forward to when they conflict...
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

SC: no. just hurry up. I want to get out of here asap.
            Irony right there.

he's in a hurry but making his own wait longer by not paying attention

Comment

The company I work for... we do have an employee number, but that is for payroll purposes only.

We are advised to only give our our first names to any customer who asks for our name.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                This.

If customer complaints automatically got you in trouble, I'd have been gone from my job years ago.

Unless you're racking up a complaint every other day, probably nothing will ever happen. Most managers know there are some people who just can't ever be pleased.
                That is true....sadly. But some complaints do get you in trouble depending on the situation and some just get zero fucks. But that's all on the company really.
                I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I had one instance with a customer over a coupon. I was nice but she blew her top. A few days later I get pulled into the office and get shown this nearly page long email about how rude I was (I wasn't, of course). I blew my top, not very proud of that but this lady flat out lied and I don't feel that the manager had my back in the situation but that's a whole other topic. I got to hear about how nice the lady was. Of course, she probably got something out of it.
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

I was standing at the checkout at my local supermarket the other day, an this happened.
                    Now, dunno about where you guys live and shop, but here the unwritten supermarket checkout laws of etiquette include that if you are next to be served, you put your shopping on the conveyor (after the divider of course) and stand behind the empty trolley of the customer who is currently getting rung up. Their shopping goes in a trolley ahead of them, an when it's your turn, the empty trolley gets moved up and your shopping goes in that. Right.

So this lil middle aged woman gets in past my trolley, RIGHT up behind me about a hands-width away, and BURPS. Ugh and awkward enough. Then before the poor checkout chick has time to finish my sale off (my card had just gone thru, and I moved over a little, ready for her to print out my receipts) the woman pushes past, shoves a massive bag of corn chips towards the checkout chick and goes, "How much??"

Patiently and politely, the checkout chick replies, "I just have to wait for the register" (adding RUDE COW in her head no doubt) then concludes my transaction, smiling still.
                    Girl has to be well medicated or meditating on a higher plane of existence! Or, maybe, she's just got an unbreakable game face on.
                    Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                    It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Working...
                    X