This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Panacea View Post

I had a friend in college who tried to teach me sign. I learned finger spelling and a handful of other signs. It's not much, but it's helpful when I get a deaf patient while I wait for the interpreter to come in.
    That's where I'm at in terms of Auslan. I know how to finger spell and a handful of other signs related directly to First Aid and to swimming.

Here's one Auslan sign: the sign for ambulance is made by putting your left hand out in front of you, palm facing inwards, while the index and middle fingers of your right hand make a circular motion behind the left hand, with roughly the first joint and fingernails visible behind the left hand. (the idea is that it looks like an ambulance with its lights on)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
      Yes, but Gibbs would not be so nice about it. He'd probably just do the universal Gibbs sign language. A slap to the back of the head. So..in other words..I am all for this!
      Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      All for the NCIS stuff, but part of me wants Gil Grissom from CSI: Vegas to show up and give them a solid dressing down both verbally and in ASL, THEN turn him over to Abby and Gibbs.

True dat Mytical, but IMHO, Gibbs is just too cute when he gets mad, besides the head slap is too common for a sit like this

Jay, cool, I didn't realize Grissom knew ASL, 'course then again I don't watch much of CSI anyhow..Gosh, can u imagine, by the time Grissom, Abby & Gibbs were done the SC wouldn't know which way was up
      "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Oh gosh, I forget to look at this for few days and it's full of responses. Forgive any typos I'm posting from my mobile so typing isn't exactly easy.

For those who asked I took a class which cost me I think 250$ but it was just a basic class so I didn't learn a lot of the signs I now know thanks to my customers. Things like "cigarettes" weren't exactly part of the basic learning.

I do have an update however, turns out the Sc got a hold of my DM and tried going above my manager's head with her complaints. When the DM came into ream us both he found me converseing with the same customer. He didn't know I spoke ASL and I didn't put it on my as I'm not fluent. Turns out since I'm proficient enough to help our customers with just about everything they need I can get and extra 1.50 and hour. So he's getting that changed. If I see the SC again I'll have to thank her for getting me a raise.

Comment

But it would be beautiful!
          1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
          -----
          http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

and karma wins again!
            Talk about an awesome manager.
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Holy fucking christ on a crutch!

Wow, talk about repressed memories flashing back..Thanks Tal, more therapy..

I learned ASL when I was in high school, and dated several very beautiful ladies(who happened to be deaf) and on at least one occasion during the time I was dating each of these 3 very beautiful ladies(god they were hot in high school), I had the misfortune of running into some ignorant hick who thought it was impressive to bad mouth the deaf chick since she couldn't hear.

Being raised in a house full of giants, I have a bit of a small mans complex, and I don't take shit from anybody. (I have to clarify this by saying that I am 6'4" and was about 240 lbs in high school and yes most(about 75% of the men in my family were bigger than me.)

Give me shit, I will tell you to fuck off...Give my lady shit, I will fucking end you and then anally violate your dead corpse for spite....FUCK!!!!

Where do these assmunchies come from and how do we give them darwin awards and get them out of the gene pool?!?

On a lighter note, my wife's biological sister(my wife was adopted and then found her biological family) is deaf, now I am learning BSL(British Sign Language) talk about a foreign language.....fuck me

For a laugh...swearing in BSL....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvzE9fLWfG0
              Last edited by artcurmudgeon; 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
                Turns out since I'm proficient enough to help our customers with just about everything they need I can get and extra 1.50 and hour. So he's getting that changed. If I see the SC again I'll have to thank her for getting me a raise.
                Guess who won at life?
                Last edited by Dave1982; 09-03-2012, 12:30 AM. Reason: please don't quote the entire post

Comment

Quoth CorneliaMarieRocks View Post
                  Jay, cool, I didn't realize Grissom knew ASL, 'course then again I don't watch much of CSI anyhow..Gosh, can u imagine, by the time Grissom, Abby & Gibbs were done the SC wouldn't know which way was up
                  It played more of a factor in some of the earlier seasons. Grissom's mother was deaf due to otosclerosis and he learned ASL to communicate with her. (It became an arc when Grissom started to suffer from it as well, but got a surgical procedure to keep him from suffering the full effects.)

It was a major point in one episode where the victim was a deaf student, from a local school for the deaf, and Sara and one of the others (Stokes, maybe?) unintentionally offended the dean of the school. While trying to talk with her, they kept addressing their ASL interpreter, which lead to the deaf dean kicking them out, since she could read lips perfectly well, and didn't appreciate them acting as if she weren't there. Grissom came back with them later, and when the dean tried to throw them out again, Grissom started yelling at her, WHILE SIGNING WHAT HE WAS SAYING.

He and the dean became friends. At the end of that episode, he and the dean share a conversation in ASL, with no dialogue or captioning.
                  PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
                    If I see the SC again I'll have to thank her for getting me a raise.
                    Oh, be sure to do so - in fact, I'd consider writing a thank you note out & keeping it nearby just in case.

To me the ultimate revenge is to tell someone you had something great happen to them thanks to their actions.

Congrats, enjoy it.
                    Last edited by Dave1982; 09-03-2012, 12:31 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post!

Madness takes it's toll....
                    Please have exact change ready.

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                      It played more of a factor in some of the earlier seasons. Grissom's mother was deaf due to otosclerosis and he learned ASL to communicate with her. (It became an arc when Grissom started to suffer from it as well, but got a surgical procedure to keep him from suffering the full effects.)

It was a major point in one episode where the victim was a deaf student, from a local school for the deaf

<SNIP>
                      I loved that episode

And mega-congrats, OP - karma wins again !
                      Last edited by Dave1982; 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM. Reason: excessive quoting
                      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
                      What's the difference?
                      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Gil's conversation with Dr. Gilbert (the dean) at the end of that episode (Season 1, Episode 20, "Sounds of Silence"):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENzyY...feature=relmfu
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
                          I do have an update however, turns out the Sc got a hold of my DM and tried going above my manager's head with her complaints. When the DM came into ream us both he found me converseing with the same customer. He didn't know I spoke ASL and I didn't put it on my as I'm not fluent. Turns out since I'm proficient enough to help our customers with just about everything they need I can get and extra 1.50 and hour. So he's getting that changed. If I see the SC again I'll have to thank her for getting me a raise.
                          for that raise! And I'd love to see that hag's face when you tell her that!
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Talasar View Post
                            *applause*

That's seriously amazing and SUCH a good outcome to a stupidly awful situation.

Comment

Quoth Mytical View Post
                              Yes, but Gibbs would not be so nice about it. He'd probably just do the universal Gibbs sign language. A slap to the back of the head. So..in other words..I am all for this!
                              Buahahhahahahaha

Turns out since I'm proficient enough to help our customers with just about everything they need I can get and extra 1.50 and hour.
                              That's AWESOME! not only was her complaint unsupported, you got personal gain from it. The only thing more pwnawesome would be if she saw the manager give you a raise vs punishing you

Come to think of it, back when I was in 4th grade my teacher was fluent in ASL and started teaching us. I don't remember a lot, except the alphabet. And that my name was the first letter of my name, positioned next to my head because I had pigtails.

Comment

The Australian comedian Adam Hills frequently has a signer at his shows so that deaf people can attend, and he has some good material on signing.

Check this out, Adam at the Melbourne Comedy Festival 2010
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O53q8MlGAFk

It is especially good near the end when he demonstrates his favourite Australian sign and how someone took that sign and used it in every shift at work. Wish I could have worked out how to use it myself in front of sucky customers.

Comment

Working...
                                X