Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What part of SECURITY do you not effing understand!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What part of SECURITY do you not effing understand!?!

The antics of the employees that work at the site my security company is contracted with make me wonder what was the point of our hour-long safety briefing, the 3 stacks of paperwork, and their 8-hour training with their supervisors.

We EMPHASIZE physical security! Fences, gates, doors, locking things, etc. But, these thing are only followed until they inconvenience someone. Twice recently, we've found employees propping open exterior doors because their badges wont work, usually because their badges are programed for them to work on dock 1, but today they were asked to work dock 3 and didn't bother to ask security to add the doors onto their badge for the day. So they spend the day shoving a piece of wood into the doorjam so they can go in and out as they please, never you mind the dozens of truck drivers outside the building that have no business coming in but are free to do so now. IN FACT, the first part of the presentation we give them is about NOT PROPPING DOORS OPEN! Not only do they know better, it wastes a half hour of security's time doing a report, AND we have to call the client, the big wig, the highest you can go, to report what happened. At the very LEAST the employee will get a written reprimand and possibly suspension. And they KNOW we can change their badges, so there's no excuse.

The same goes for the truck drivers who, instead of going through our exit gate and around the building to the office, park just before the exit gate and walk out through a side door in the fence clearly marked 'emergency only' They either prop that open or manage to wiggle their hand through the gap enough to open it from the wrong side. We recently fixed that by installing a panel; now once the door closes, they're stuck on that side of the fence. 3-truckers were pissed at the office within an hour. (They do this because if they pull their truck out the gate, they must then turn around and back into the area in front of the office, which they don't want to do if they're not being inspected, etc, because backing up takes a while) The office has a remote to open the gate for the stupid drivers and are told to tell them NOT to use the emergency door (many give the excuse that they've 'used it for years' and there was never a problem).

Now, even with the new panel, drivers are wedging rocks, sweaters, toothbrushes, anything into the handle so they can get back in. I personally removed every large rock from the area so they couldn't use them. I am seriously going to ask the boss to propose putting an alarm on that door, so at the very least the drivers will sh*t themselves and learn not to use that door!

Sigh. Why does security work feel like babysitting half the time? And how do you protect people who won't protect themselves?
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Amex had a siren right over the emergency man door from the dock area... at a power level of *LIQUIFY*.

Part of the new guard initiation was seeing if they'd open it without calling the security console operator to disarm it.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I thought babysitting was part of your job description
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I feel your pain.

Thankfully we have a posted sign, and a boss that backs it up:

"any person who disregards or ignores instructions from security will be removed from refinery property and be PERMANENTLY barred from entrance."

It's rarely invoked, as the threat of not having a substantial paycheck is a good deterrent.
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
          And how do you protect people who won't protect themselves?
          If you figure that out, LillFilly, please let those of us on the IT Security side know?
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            If you figure that out, LillFilly, please let those of us on the IT Security side know?

Dear Dog yes! Password = password, rogue wi-fi, verboten thumbdrives, "lost" equipment....

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Dear Dog yes! Password = password, rogue wi-fi, verboten thumbdrives, "lost" equipment....
              downloading "fun cursor changing programs*" read: malware -_-

*several coworkers did this, infected the entire network, couldn't understand how because "it was just a harmless cursor program"
              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
                *several coworkers did this, infected the entire network, couldn't understand how because "it was just a harmless cursor program"
                One of my friends did something like that. She gave me her badly-infected computer to work on, and I eventually got it running like new. A few weeks later, she told me it was messed up again. I started to run scans, and found all kinds of junk on it. I asked her, "What the hell were you downloading?" She responded, "Nothing bad, just some screensavers!"
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                  "What the hell were you downloading?" She responded, "Nothing bad, just some screensavers!"
                  First thing I taught my mom "don't download anything other than updates of the programs already on the computer" and showed her how update alerts look compared to scammy ones. She actually bought screensaver programs on a cd from a reputable company to ensure the computer's safety.
                  Which while unnecessary, proved she listened.

Comment

A few years ago one of Random Craft Store's class instructors gave out the door code to the break room to her students. The same break room where employee's personal items are kept -- it's really not hard to break into the lockers, which is why the door code is not to be given out to anyone but employees.

The only reason anyone found out about it was because one of her students came waltzing into the locked break room when several employees were on break. When asked why he was back there when he wasn't an employee, the student said that [Class Instructor] gave all her students the door code so they could get drinks and snacks.

Needless to say that instructor is no longer with the company, is on the "call the cops if seen on the property" list, and the store had to get a new door, lock, AND code for the break room.
                    Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                      [Class Instructor] gave all her students the door code so they could get drinks and snacks.
                      what, from the vending machines I sincerely hope are there, or from employees' lockers?!

Needless to say that instructor is no longer with the company, is on the "call the cops if seen on the property" list, and the store had to get a new door, lock, AND code for the break room.
                      OK, this I don't get. Why not just change the code on the existing lock? And even if the lock itself is inherently insecure (Simplex locks have a maximum of only 1440 possible codes, and that number includes codes like "1" which no sane person would ever use), why the necessity for changing the door itself?

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                        OK, this I don't get. Why not just change the code on the existing lock?
                        I'm guessing that maybe the door wasn't programmable, that the code was factory-set and couldn't be changed.
                        Sometimes life is altered.
                        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                        Uneasy with confrontation.
                        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

This is not at all unlike those idiots who write their PIN on the back of their credit/debit/EBT card and/or make it something like 1234 or 0000. Just like with the examples the OP gave, this too defeats the security purpose behind the PIN (that the PIN and card make a two key system).

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                            what, from the vending machines I sincerely hope are there, or from employees' lockers?!
                            I think they were getting their noms from the vending machines, because someone would always have to call the companies for the vending machines at least five or six times a month (or more)to get it refilled. Nowadays I think they only come once or twice every month and a half.

OK, this I don't get. Why not just change the code on the existing lock? And even if the lock itself is inherently insecure (Simplex locks have a maximum of only 1440 possible codes, and that number includes codes like "1" which no sane person would ever use), why the necessity for changing the door itself?
                            I'm guessing that maybe the door wasn't programmable, that the code was factory-set and couldn't be changed.
                            The lock *IS* programmable -- so sayeth the new SM upon asking her -- but because no one knows just how many people actually knew the previous code (any one of these people could've told ten other people, who could've told ten more people, and repeat) it was just safer to get a whole new door and lock. That and once everyone found out about this, stopped bringing their belongings into work (which included lunches).
                            Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                              whole new door and lock.
                              In a large enough building there's probably the opportunity to just switch doors out, too. I did it at the building I was OM for back in the '90's. Both had programmable lock-sets, but one had a peek through window that I wanted somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X