Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It really shouldn't be this hard to take a day off...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It really shouldn't be this hard to take a day off...

The center I work at has at most, probably 300 customer reps, all of whom are full time. Of course being full time, we get benefits, including paid time off.

The problem is the system we have to use to get that time off is...somewhat convoluted to say the least.

How it works is there are a certain number of hours available for PTO every day. So if the daily allotment is 80, that means ten employees can take paid days off that day and anyone else is SOL unless they're going to a funeral or have a verifiable (as in with a doctors note) medical reason for missing.

Usually the available time on any given day is no more than 100 hours, which means that never can more than 12 reps (12 X 8 =96) take any given day as a paid day. Remember how I said about 300 reps are employed here?

What this all means is if you need PTO in a pinch you're screwed. The last time I looked at the scheduling I didn't see one SINGLE PTO day available for over a month.

No that is not a typo.

God forbid I get sick or have a last minute thing come up that I need off work for.

We do have a limited number of unpaid days off we can take but once you hit your limit, you're out the door. Hence why I am not exactly eager to take unpaid days I don't have to.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

When it comes to (mis)management, never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by malice.

The limits on people who can take PTO on the same day? Given your numbers (100 hours available per day, 300 employees), and assuming 250 working days per year (50 work weeks - the other 2 being vacation - at 5 days per week), that leaves 8 PTO days per person per year. If the number of paid time off days the company claims to be offering is higher than that, they can continue to boast, while effectively capping it at 8. Bosses' pets, naturally, get the full "official" amount of PTO, and everyone else gets screwed.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      When it comes to (mis)management, never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by malice.

The limits on people who can take PTO on the same day? Given your numbers (100 hours available per day, 300 employees), and assuming 250 working days per year (50 work weeks - the other 2 being vacation - at 5 days per week), that leaves 8 PTO days per person per year. If the number of paid time off days the company claims to be offering is higher than that, they can continue to boast, while effectively capping it at 8. Bosses' pets, naturally, get the full "official" amount of PTO, and everyone else gets screwed.
      Don't you have to subtract major holidays from that mix? Christmas, New Year's Day, Independence Day, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was doing a very rough calculation. Taking statutory holidays into account would adjust the number of PTO days actually available per employee, but the principle remains the same - due to arbitrary limits on how many people can take PTO days at the same time, the number each person can ACTUALLY take is less than what the company claims to offer.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
        X