This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth XCashier View Post
    It's the economy. Employers have all the cards and darn well know it. I haven't been on very many interviews lately, but yes, they do state one thing in the ad and say the opposite in the interview, and they can insist that you need a doctorate for a file clerk job.
    Or they ask for something that's impossible. Back in my first career (programmer), I went to a career fair where one company was looking for people with 5 years experience programming under Windows NT 4.0. I had been programming under NT since the first beta of 3.1 to be distributed outside Microsoft - 4 years earlier.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
      Why not? Seems as good an answer as any, although you would be finding the weight, not weighing. Downside is it wouldn't account for any cargo etc.

Personally, I'd draw an outline of the tires on the ground, roll it away, get the area of the footprint and multiply that by the tire pressure. I assume it would work as well for a plane as it does a car. Not incredibly accurate though.
      I was badging in to do a job at McGuire in Asheville and they needed to find something for me to do for a few days, so they told me to take this huge bucket of bolts about the size of an adult male thumb that were corroded and clean them up, and handed me a couple wire brushes. So I did the fair thing, and grabbed a pound of coffee out of the back of the car and tracked down the machine shop and swapped the coffee for an hour on the cabinet sand blaster. Got the bolts all spiffy clean in 45 minutes and had a nice cup of coffee with the [retired] sailor I had noticed in the break room that I had heard saying something about the machine shop. Got to love old squids, they understand the value of a pound of coffee Of course then my bosses decided to have me renovate one of the grodier filter bundles I ever worked on.

One of these, 5 feet in diameter, and 7 feet tall. *sigh*
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth xxscooterxx View Post
        I've had to take a multitude of personality type quizzes recently. Please tell me how not liking the color blue has anything to do with how well I can sling truck parts.
        When you work for the nuke industry, you had to take the same screening quizzes *every damned job* so at one point I started answering in patterns, like TFFTFTFFTF or TTFTTFTFTFTTFTTFTFTF .... so the boss I worked for noticed and told me to stop. *sigh*

But then again, I also had to take the same training on the Code of Federal Regulations for nuke workers, so for a while I had a number of them absolutely memorized, and could recite them with my eyes closed while the person giving the class was discussing them. Until my boss told me to stop.

<and I used to prank lower base at SubBase NLON. I used to go in for radioisotopic imaging frequently for about 4 months so I would hurry from the base hospital down to some random bathroom on lower base to pee, because they had radiation detection equipment in the septic system. I would see if I could get off lower base before the gates slammed shut and the alarms sounded.>
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
          I had a job interview a couple of weeks ago. It was a small company, and it didn't go too badly...until I had an allergic sneezing fit in the middle of it. Very embarrassing. And no, I didn't get the job.
          My job interview had the following fails:

-I accidentally locked the interview lady out of the school! (the school does not have a fence, they use a security gate, but the dang thing was "Locked". I thought the gate was automatically controlled.)
          -We had to hold it outside because the hall was being used (the hall was being used)
          -I had to write my police check number on a napkin...and lost it partway through.

I still got the job
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            bucket of bolts ...corroded... clean them up.... grabbed a pound of coffee
            Given what I know of shipboard coffee, I thought this story was going in another direction.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              <and I used to prank lower base at SubBase NLON. I used to go in for radioisotopic imaging frequently for about 4 months so I would hurry from the base hospital down to some random bathroom on lower base to pee, because they had radiation detection equipment in the septic system. I would see if I could get off lower base before the gates slammed shut and the alarms sounded.>
              That's a different take on "pissing hot" than others I've heard about.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I used to have a job that worked me 38 hours a week and I was still considered "Part time", so that one I get. Also I can understand how having a second language could be beneficial depending on the geographic location of the job (southern Arizona for example).

The one about the actual qualifications being different from the ad is usually a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. The person that wrote the ad isn't usually the one who does the interviews.
                "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
                  My employer does something which goes along with the first thing on your list - a position will be listed as "entry-level", but in the job description, experience and knowledge which is NOT "entry-level" is required.
                  they mean they want to pay you at entry level wages.

Comment

I have been filling out applications for anything where I am at. I filled out an app for a Christian Thrift store. One section was specifically marked that it had to be answered. How much do you weigh? How tall are you? a couple others in a similiar vein. There is no conceivable reason they need to know my weight.

Comment

Quoth kptsj View Post
                      I have been filling out applications for anything where I am at. I filled out an app for a Christian Thrift store. One section was specifically marked that it had to be answered. How much do you weigh? How tall are you? a couple others in a similiar vein. There is no conceivable reason they need to know my weight.
                      I had a job application ask me for my shirt size. Turns out that they give you your uniform upon induction for security reasons. (It was a laser tag arena and the majority of their customers were children.)

I would wonder if the reason for the weight was for if certain large pieces of equipment had a weight limit or similar, but I would doubt that an op shop would be one of them.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I've had a number of interviews where they bring me in, interview me, and then tell me I'm lacking skill X. Skill X not being listed in their job description, and one that is clearly not on my resume.

If I don't have the skill you find essential for the position, why call me in?

Comment

Working...
                        X