This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp, today's been a day.

So far in my shift at pizza place today: I got an $11 tip, i got ice cream for a tip, we had a drunk guy come in and give us a hard time, and some guy spent five minutes arguing about what he ordered.

Yeah...

Will provide details at a real computer later.
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Yeah, the OP title was how I felt after my shift yesterday.

Some severe weather rolled through the area yesterday (and again today), and it knocked out power at one of The Client's facilities.

It just happened to be the facility where most of our major servers are located.

"But wait," you say, "surely The Client has backup generators for just such an emergency!"

Yes. But the power went out because some trees went down, and happened to kill one of our transformers, and as a result, the generators had trouble getting started. (Please note: I'm obfuscating some things, and also working off limited information, myself.)

As a result, the facility in question lost ALL power. Because of this, users couldn't save their work to their network drive, most applications didn't work, those users who hadn't already been logged in couldn't log into the system (because the user profile servers were offline), and a whole myriad of other problems.

Did I mention that it went down around quarter-past 4pm, right around the time a lot of The Client's employees are finishing up their work for the day?

Yeah.

It took hours for things to even be partially restored. ITSD got a message up on our incoming line advising callers that we were aware of the network problems, but for whatever reason, we couldn't specify what the issue exactly was on the line. So we still had to field dozens of calls from users and tell them "It's a major power outage out at [facility]." And then answer dozens of calls from people who already know about the outage, "No, we don't have an ETA for when it will be back up."

Yeah. So much fun.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      ... "No, we don't have an ETA for when it will be back up."...
      But we're dissolving little blue pills in the diesel for the generators...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I'd day for those type of days the quote "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" applies.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Working...
        X