This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piles of details

So I've been working weddings for about three weeks now. I started off assisting our Wedding Coordinator, because she needed an assistant. I didn't realize Wedding Coordinator was planning on quitting.

Wedding Coordinator quit. Conference Coordinator got all her weddings.

And theres, like...I don't want to call them files. They're in file folders, but really piles of doodles and scribbles (crammed into folders) is more like it. For each wedding. There's not much organization in there.

And guess who is sorting through it? Well, me and Conference Coordinator and a couple others from the office. It's a mess.

Oh look, this bride wants microphones and speakers. A/V setup is extra. Was the bride told this? Was any price quoted? Who the hell knows?

This one needed a "white runner" priced from a "local contact". A table runner? An aisle runner? "Local contact?" F**k if I know, but the wedding is in 10 days!

And I can't just tell brides "Hey, what did you mean by this?" because as soon as I tell them Wedding Coordinator is retired, they flip out enough as it is! So I have to be more...tactful. I have to assure them everything is transitioning smoothly and is under control, even though that's all a bold-faced lie.

Also just....so many details. I got a laundry list from a bride with an upcoming wedding. I started working on the email at about 9:30am, and didn't finish my response until 2:30pm. Some of that was building floorplan diagrams, but yeah, that was an ordeal.

(Actually I am kind of having a little fun coordinating other people's weddings, but then again right now I'm getting paid to do that all day every day, so...probably wouldn't be as fun if I was actually spending money! I kind of wanted to do over my wedding because it was small and lame and not what I wanted really. Now I remember why it was lame: Weddings are stressful and expensive and at the time I was like "well f**k this sh*t, dollar store plastic table covers and paper plates are good enough!". )
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Did the Wedding Coordinator quit with or without notice? Is there any possibility of sweet talking her into coming in to explain to you and Conference Coordinator what the notes mean? Not have any contact with the bridal parties mind you, just be there for an hour or two for a few days to answer 'what is this?' and 'what does this mean?' and 'who did you have in mind for that?' sort of stuff.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

It seems to me that those types of jobs (Wedding Coordinators and what not) need two types of people (since rarely are the skillsets something 1 person will have all of).

You need an Artsy-type person who can envision what the couple bride wants and/or guide them to what they can afford while getting close to that vision.

And at the same time you need a Logic/Organized-type person who can keep track of all the details of that vision and break them down to the requirements of reality, and then start bringing all the pieces together in the right order at the right times.

Rarely can the same person do both well, and often times you'll want them as separate people anyway, so they can focus on the strengths (just make sure they work well together or the backstabbing can become epic).

Good luck! Hopefully she hasn't left you with too many weddings hung out to dry.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
        Did the Wedding Coordinator quit with or without notice? Is there any possibility of sweet talking her into coming in to explain to you and Conference Coordinator what the notes mean?
        She quit with notice, just left her files a mess. She doesn't really answer calls, and while we can text her she takes her time answering.

Think we're in a good spot for the weddings next weekend that I've been working on (two in one day...oi!). Conference Coordinator has been putting her full efforts into the ones for THIS weekend. Tomorrow's the day before and it's gonna be so much fun!

Today I actually had to go back to the front desk to cover a shift, but I went up to sales for a couple hours afterward and ran into Bossman as I was crossing the lobby with all my stuff.
        Bossman: "Have a good evening, bhskittykatt!"
        Me: "Oh, thanks, but actually I'm just going upstairs."
        Bossman: *evil grin* "Oh, I know you are."
        Me: *whimpering*
        Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

Working...
        X