This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire!

Well not really but false alarm at work tonight.

I thought I would be okay with a fire alarm. done my training at both this job and my last but the real thing freaked me out.

I am very thankful to the guest who took over the evacuation.

Felt a little silly when the boss ( who I had to get out of bed) explained how the system worked and what I could have done different but hey I did what I could manage.

I realised that training on paper is very different to the real thing. I have my performance review this week and will definitely ask my manager that I can take part in the next fite practice.

Now just trying to get calmed down and back to work. Buliding evcuation systems always remind me of being. in an earthquake ( 6.4 3 years ago was in a mall when it happened)

You're not alone. I just read this report today, which may offer a perspective:

http://raib.gov.uk/latest_news/14072...lland_park.cfm

It's worth reading the full report, not just the executive summary.

Comment

I was in the Army, two of the books on the recommended reading lists (for most every school and command the Army has) are really good. (the names are 'interesting' but they are written to military and law-enforcement, so keep that in mind)

"The Gift of Fear and Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence"
      "On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society"

The thing they talk about quite a bit is the "immunization" of fear and stress. If you are exposed to the fear and stress of being killed, in a controlled environment. Then when the time comes that you have to preform (or die) you are much better able to handle the situation. Same techniques can be applied to many "life or death" stressful situation.

I say all that to conclude, it is a really good idea to get all the training your company offers.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Fire Drills
        Earthquake drills
        False alarms

I always react the same way. I shut off my computer and take my things with me and go outside and have a cigarette.

I do the same thing when those events actually happen.

The only time I ever panic is if I think I might be late for something.
        "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
        X