This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
    Do these kids have pure black eyes? ....
    Or slightly lighter eyes? :-)
    Attached Files
    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth Sheldonrs View Post
      Or slightly lighter eyes? :-)
      Or bright eyes?

Comment

When I was in highschool (eek the 90s ), I remember a story of a kid who was riding a bike to school. A car came flying up a residential street hit the curb and killed the kid on the bike who was on the side walk waiting to cross the street.

Just cause there is a posted speed limit does NOT mean people obey it. On post there is this hill and its near a school. Around school time when it lets out, is usually the same time most of the post gets off work. LOTS of people FLY down that hill and through the residential streets. 20 mph we have seen them clocked as fast as 70. The mps started posting cops at the bottom and they would post not one BUT THREE cars. And they ALWAYS had people pulled over.

My kids don't get near a street unless I am there with them. I am a big fat cow and yes I will sprint my fat ass across the yard if my two year old even just goes to the curb. And he will get his little ass spanked and drug into the safety of the house.

We had a hard time with daycares not sure what it was but it was tough. We went thru four home providers BEFORE the hospital and three after the hospital. Of those 8 daycares in 2 years, only ONE was not registered. And their job was get him at 530 am, feed him breakfast let him watch tv til bus came at 7 am. put him on the bus. he would come home he would get a bag of chips and watch tv for 30 minutes til I picked him up. Seems simple enough. Nope my son who was in kindergarten would fall asleep on the bus. One day her kids came home and she didn't even realize my son was not with her kids. Then I showed up and I was freaking out. My 5 year old son was asleep on the bus that was now closed up and in the bus parking lot. ALONE. Mommy invented some all new creative cuss words. Last time I used that provider and I paid the $20 a week for him to ride one of those charter type buses.

I had a provider on post who let our boys climb to the top of the tree. About 40 feet up. That about gave me a heart attack. She was registered. Licensed for CPR, FIRST AID, went thru all the on post classes and the SRS requirements. Pretty damn strict on post and in kansas. She was inside while 5 kids ages 8 (my oldest ) down to her 2 year old were climbing trees and running thru the shared yard, jumping over fences where there are strange bark happy dogs. etc. Luckily they were never bit.

Comment

Update

Update: Moving van in front of the old lady's apartment today. Possibly explained why there haven't been any kids flinging themselves into traffic there for the last few days.

Addendum: It's possible that they simply moved their uncontrolled riot to another yard, but given that they will no longer be re-enacting the Carnaval de Rio in the street between my apartment and the main road, I'm partially satisfied.

Addendum to the addendum: I say "partially" satisfied because it doesn't solve the overall problem of children in our neighborhood not just dancing in the streets, but refusing to get the hell out of the way when a car's going by. I had a little girl do that "hold up one hand in the traffic cop 'stop' signal without making eye contact while crossing the street" thing about six feet from my bumper today. If she'd had a cell phone I would have mistaken her for a very small high school freshman.

Postscript: I'ma run over that stupid pedal car next time I see it sitting unmanned in the middle of the road at 2 AM.

Postscript to the postscript: I'm being facetious. That thing's huge. It could probably do me some damage.

Comment

There's that saying, let's take off all the warning labels and let things solve themselves. Yes, people need to be careful in residential areas. But they also need to teach their kids that cars are dangerous.

I used to get a little cranky when my old neighbor would put out one of those "children playing" things in the street so that her kid could play IN the street. We all had large front and back yards, along with nice big flat driveways so there was no need for the kid to be in the street.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Who lets children PLAY in the street anyway? (I know, I know. Way too many people.)

Streets are shared spaces intended for transit. Parks and gardens are shared spaces intended for relaxation - including play. Playgrounds are shared spaces intended for play. Children should be playing in private spaces, or in shared spaces intended for play. Playing in transit spaces is dangerous!
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                Who lets children PLAY in the street anyway? (I know, I know. Way too many people.)
                Everybody here. Road hockey isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
                Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Around here (nothing commercial nearby)...? Kids get to *ride bikes* in the street, but otherwise they stay in the yards. In either case, their parents and other locals are watching them like hawks. Even the 3-year-olds know to shout "CAR!" when one gets to an intersection (even the cars just crossing the street, rather than coming down it). This, however, is the exception, not the rule.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Who lets children PLAY in the street anyway? !
                    I did but it was a quiet cul de sac (10 houses) in a small neighborhood (less than 100 houses). The tareseal was the best for skating on and all the children played on it however we got out of the way of cars.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                      But of course one of the time honored traditions of road hockey is yelling "CAR!" and getting the net and stuff off the road as fast as possible.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                        But of course one of the time honored traditions of road hockey is yelling "CAR!" and getting the net and stuff off the road as fast as possible.
                        "Car!"
                        "Game on!"
                        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                          "Car!"
                          "Game on!"
                          Heh, my mind went there too
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Our neighbor ran one of those. The older kids were locked outside-we peed/crapped in the bushes. Younger kids were all stacked in a room inside. It was shut down when one of the toddlers was strangled by a telephone cord while unsupervised.

Comment

Had one across the street of from my house. In the AM, kids would be dropped off, and in the evening, parants would pick them up. That house did get repoed and one of the neighbors went through the house, looking at it as an investment property told me was pretty filthy on the inside. They had a bunch of cats that trashed the carpet, etc. Walls were chewed up pretty bad, and the old owners also turned 1 car garage into a giant litter box. Just dumped a bunch litter on the floor,and never cleaned it up.
                              Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth NecessaryCatharsis View Post
                                Kickball, where I come from

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
                                Had one across the street of from my house. In the AM, kids would be dropped off, and in the evening, parants would pick them up. That house did get repoed and one of the neighbors went through the house, looking at it as an investment property told me was pretty filthy on the inside. They had a bunch of cats that trashed the carpet, etc. Walls were chewed up pretty bad, and the old owners also turned 1 car garage into a giant litter box. Just dumped a bunch litter on the floor,and never cleaned it up.
                                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                                X