This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discover card is getting on my nerves

I have had my Discover card since 2005. I hardly charge anything anyomore. I am just paying off the balance.

Last week Discover card calls our home number. It is the account manager over my account. The center he works in is located in Utah. He identified himself as my account manager, & then he asked me why I have not charged anything on my account in a while. I do not have a need to & so I told him I am paying it off & so I have no need to charge anything. I also told him "thank you for calling me" & I ended the call.

Then today I found a new discover card while I was going through the mail. So I activated it & was transferred to customer service...in Utah. The guy who took my card said "can we count on you to use your card in the next 30 days?" after going through his spiel & pushing their services. I told him I had no idea.

I feel it is up to the customer whether or not they want to use their card, not up to the company.

I hope I do not get another call from my account manager asking me why I have not used my card in a while.

I use my Discover all the time, but when I got my new card some months ago they did the same thing when I activated it. I was able to say yes, though, since I was about to charge a new radiator for my car

Yesterday I got a new card for a different account (a MasterCard with my college logo on it), which I have not used in literally years. I was looking at the paper that came with it and saw that I have a $28,800 credit limit on the card. Seriously!?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The physical cards have a number of security features embedded and are actually fairly expensive; it's something over $5 each, depending on the card. Now that card companies are getting zinged by some of the new regulations I'm not surprised they're balking on sending new cards to people who aren't using them.

Comment

I like having a card that rewards me for using it. I use it all the time. And I pay it down to nearly $0 about twice a month and never spend money that isn't already in my bank account. And I make the payments be a penny over an even amount, so my bank throws the other 99 cents into my savings account for the "keep the change" thing, and I get that matched by my bank.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
          I like having a card that rewards me for using it. I use it all the time. And I pay it down to nearly $0 about twice a month and never spend money that isn't already in my bank account.
          ^-.-^
          I like the cashback bonus, too. That's actually why I started using it; I had it for a few years at least but I used a different card (my college MasterCard, actually) for most things, but I didn't get any real perks for using it. A few weeks ago I used part of my cashback to get a Starbucks gift card - $50 card for $45. I transfered $10 to a new card to give as part of a Christmas gift, and the rest I transferred to my other card that is registered and gets me free drinks and stuff. I still have about $180 in cashback bonus on my account, too. (I love that you can get Target cards with it, too. I might do that at some point.)

I use Discover for pretty much everything, and pay it off every month when the bill comes. And I try to remember to check every month for the extra cashback categories and make sure I sign up. I don't necessarily spend more on those categories but I like to make sure I'm getting as much back as possible for what I do buy. The only time I use my check card is to get cash from the ATM once a week or so, and the rare occasions I have no cash and need something from the cafeteria at work (which doesn't take Discover). There is an ATM at work but it charges $1; just paying with my card doesn't cost me extra but I don't like using it for such small amounts (and then I have to remember to write it in my checkbook).

The only other credit cards I use are Old Navy and Kohls, and I only use them when I need to in order to get the extra discounts.
          Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-26-2010, 10:51 PM.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
          X