Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas . . .

and we're getting one right now.

We have a winter storm warning until noon tomorrow. Expected accumulation is from 2 to 6 inches, with some areas in central NC getting more or less than others.

It started as just a few flakes right around 12 today when Dad showed up to pick me and my brother up. We saw a few flurries on the way to his house, then it stopped and went to mostly rain.

By the time we left PG (that's Pleasant Garden, a small community a few miles outside Greensboro for the uninitiated) to come home right before 5, it was coming down a bit heavier. The closer we got into town, the more accumulation we saw.

And here at our house, we had close to an inch at 5:20 when we got in the door. Now it's around 2 inches and still falling pretty good.

Totally awesome . . . I'm 41 and don't ever remember seeing a white Christmas. Who knows how many more years it'll be before we have another one here.
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Atlanta is too. First time in 128 years.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

CT may get whacked as well....which while I normally love snow....may hinder my bf heading down tomorrow....and Monday's roads will be nasty.

However, 'tis the season, I have wine, cats, games, and snow is very pretty

Anyone gonna make snow angels?
      "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
      "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

It was supposed to rain today. But I woke up to flurries. It wasn't the lovely blanket I was hoping for, but it was still a White Christmas ^-^
        Hinakiba777- Student of Divinity-Always trying to get laid.

Annoying student=I pay tuition here so I pay your salary!
        Desk Worker=I pay tuition here, too. So I guess I pay myself.

Comment

We have a storm coming tomorrow, 16 inches expected, 60 mph winds. =/ DO NOT WANT.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

My cousin and her husband are all worried because they have to drive from New Jersey to North Carolina and they don't know if they should leave tomorrow now or not. And her husband has a meeting for work on Tuesday morning that he needs to be at.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I was hoping for a white Christmas, got a wet one instead. Closest I've had to a white Christmas is the light dusting we got in 2008. Maybe next year...
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

The Hubs is flying back to virginia tonight. he'll probably end up getting stuck in New York. I'm all for white christmases...but this sucks. apparently, the whole coast of VA is in a winter storm warning until tomorrow night, too. which, if last year was any indication, they'll shut down the 7 cities for the whole week.
                wooo snow...

(meanwhile in southern idaho, there's not a fresh flake to be found. fooey."
                If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                ^_^

Comment

You guys can have some of our snow. I'd be perfectly happy if the only time it snowed at all was on Christmas Eve. Although apparently it's supposed to be in the 30's by the end of next week...
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

No snow here yet. I'm about 100 miles south east of DGoddessChardonnay.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                      My cousin and her husband are all worried because they have to drive from New Jersey to North Carolina and they don't know if they should leave tomorrow now or not. And her husband has a meeting for work on Tuesday morning that he needs to be at.
                      My middle sis and her family were planning to leave Dad's tomorrow to head back to Richmond, VA but they may have to wait until the first of the week now.

At least I got to spend some time with them and meet my new nephew (he was born Nov. 30.)
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

My part of Asheville, NC (about 125 miles west of DGoddess) got about 10 inches of snow. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well my car handled in it. Very unpleasantly surprised by how poorly my boyfriend's much more expensive car handled in it. We had to dig the car out three times just in my apartment complex's parking lot -- and we took the snow shovel along just in case we'd have to do it again on our way to or back from lunch.
                        Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

Got a White Christmas and it was maybe 1-2" at most so not 'can't get out' weather.
                          Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

There is at least four inches on the ground and more coming down. The dogs love it. Casey, the Springer Spaniel mix I adopted from a shelter that had been abused by her former owners, was actually playing with my Australian Shepherd/Black Lab, Pepper, and my Australian Shepherd mix, Abby. I'm having to take them out in the front yard one by one now via a 20 foot long teather leash due to the back porch having icy patches.

Comment

Quoth AriGriffin View Post
                              There is at least four inches on the ground and more coming down. The dogs love it. Casey, the Springer Spaniel mix I adopted from a shelter that had been abused by her former owners, was actually playing with my Australian Shepherd/Black Lab, Pepper, and my Australian Shepherd mix, Abby. I'm having to take them out in the front yard one by one now via a 20 foot long teather leash due to the back porch having icy patches.
                              My two Labs, Buddy Jr. and Bubba Bailey have been enjoying it as well. Buddy Jr. has never seen this much snow at once and I don't think Bubba Bailey has either.

My brother has tossed snowballs at them earlier when he went out to check on them and feed them - he's been enjoying it almost as much as they are.

Fun part was having to dig the Toyota out so I could get to work to make an order and get it sent off so I could get my delivery on Tuesday's truck. Good thing I went in when I did (got there right at 12 noon) - turned out they had moved up the polling time from 6 p.m. (which Corporate had recently changed to) back to the old time of 3 p.m.

I'd say we ended up with around 6-8 inches here . . .we've had power surges throughout the day but luckily no loss of electric.

We're holding our breath for tomorrow. Expected low is around 15 tonight and that's before the wind chill, which could bring it down to around 1 above. Tomorrow not only do we have to worry about black ice (I'm not working but do have to go get cat food, which I didn't realize until just a short time ago I need more of) but also wind gusts up to 30 mph, which could bring down tree branches and power lines that are hanging low with heavy snow buildup.

And my sis didn't try to leave out for Richmond today . . . she posted on FB earlier and had taken pics of Dad's yard (looks like a postcard.) but I expect they'll try to leave out tomorrow after it gets daybreak and some of the ice melts from the roads.

Comment

Working...
                              X