This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun/whacky card games!

So, last summer when Minneyar and I went to A-kon, we got several card games that we thought would be fun to play with our gaming group. Well, a couple of our members got busy with school in the fall (one of our friends was in his final semester of getting his master's, so all he basically did for about 3 months was eat, sleep (sometimes), work, and study. He passed, though, and now he has a masters of mathematics!) and we never got around to playing any of the games...until last weekend.

The two that we tried were Bang! and Killer Bunnies. Minneyar has played Bang! before and I've played Killer Bunnies, but it had been years since either of us had played either of them so we were basically starting fresh.

Bang! is sort of a spaghetti-western themed game. Everyone starts by drawing a "role" card. There are 4 of them: Sheriff, Deputy, Outlaw, and Renegade. There's only ever one Sheriff and one Renegade, but there can be multiple Outlaws and Deputies (but there has to be at least one of each role to play, so you need 4 players minimum.) Basically, everyone takes turns trying to kill each other. The sheriff is trying to kill the outlaws and the renegade. The deputy is trying to protect the sheriff (the game ends if the sheriff dies) while helping catch the outlaws and renegade. The outlaws are trying to kill the sheriff. And the renegade wants to kill everyone and be the last man standing. Of course, no one knows what roles any of the other players are playing as, except for the sheriff.

Killer Bunnies is a little more complex. It took us about half an hour to go through the rule book and figure out how to set up the table. But once we got set up and played for a couple of rounds it started going pretty quick. Basically, everyone is trying to keep their bunnies alive and collect carrots. One of the carrots is the "magic" carrot which will win you the game if you're holding it when the game ends. But the magic carrot changes every game so no one knows which one it is until the game is over. There are a lot of crazy and evil things people can do to each other in that game. For instance, you can collect money which you can use to buy supplies and carrots from the general store. I got a card that doubled my money, so I spent most of it on supplies and carrots right away. Then Minneyar played a card on me that made me spend money to keep any carrots I had in my hand...and I had spent almost all of my money just before so I lost all of my carrots. There's also a "Heavenly Halo" card that basically protects one of your bunnies from anything and everything bad that can happen to it (you can get weapon cards which you can play against other player's bunnies to kill them -- the halo protects a bunny from all weapons, and almost all other random bad things that can happen to it.) It's really annoying for those of us who don't actually have it!

But, both games were hilarious and fun. We're hopefully going to get together with a bunch of friends again on Thursday to play.

Anyone else have some obscure or whacky games they like to play?

Bang! is a howl. The president of the gaming club picked up the "Bullet" set (which has the first three expansions and a nifty Sheriff's badge). It's one of the regular "we're bored, let's play..." options.

Gloom is another favorite. Each player has a 'family' or group that they try to lower their self-worth and then kill off. Other players try to raise their worth... It's kind of hard to explain. One thing about the game is the cards are printed on clear plastic, and you lay the cards on top of each other for different effects.

Munchkin is probably the biggest of the card games, though. Each player is crawlign through a dungeon, kicking open doors, fighting monsters, winning treasure and weapons, messing up with other player's fights. Easy to play. The game is a lot of fun, and there's a metric ton of expansions of almost every genre (space, Cthulhu, vampires, super-hero, etc.).
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

I wondered how long it'd take someone to mention Munchkin. I have the very first Munchkin set, but a friend of ours has all of the expansions to the main series, a couple of the Cthulhu sets, and several random other booster sets, so I haven't bothered to collect any more of them. We play Munchkin pretty often, especially if we get together to play D&D and someone is late or doesn't show up.

Comment

I like Bang! I like Munchkin, Chez Geek can be fun, but I'm mostly played out. The Totally Renamed Spy Game is fun, and I really like Flux.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Killer Bunnies is fun! Fiance and I are starting to play board/card games a bit to break up World of Warcraft sessions. I've thought about getting Killer Bunnies....but it's so darn expensive.
          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My dad went through a card game phase awhile back, so I've played some....interesting ones. One we really liked to play was The Great Dalmuti. Papa Jedi even had a "Grand Poobah" hat from the Flinstones that the winner got to wear for the next round.

Another game that I've recently gotten back into is Legend of the Five Rings. It's one insanely complicated card game set in feudal Japan. The fact that there are at least 4 ways to win should tell you something. But basically you choose a clan to play and defend your fief while simultaneously attacking other fiefs, gaining honor, dueling, spellcasting, and seeking elemental enlightenment. There's also a tabletop RPG, but I've never played it.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Fluxx and Chrononauts are both excellent.
              ludo ergo sum

Comment

Munchkin!!!!!!!!! x eleventy

My friend has most of the expansions, and gave me my own set of SuperMunchkin. Heh, we actually ripped up one card (prior to errata) - The knee pads of allure, as they were too powerful - The holder could force someone to helpn them in a fight, no checks, no downsides, and no gifts to the helpers)

heh.... Plasma Cannon, ominus hummmmmmmm
                "The claw. Bad stuff - You are dead Half of you is dead over there, half of you is dead over there. Dead. Dead dead dead."
                "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
                Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Apples to Apples is great. Some of the combinations can be really whacky.

SPANC (Space Pirate, Amazon, Ninja, Catgirl) is also a lot of fun, and back in print.

Guillotine is a classic.

I'll be back with more.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some of these games sound amusing, but just about all of them are foreign to me. The two types of card games I am familiar with are the standard time-honored card games (poker, solitaire, rummy, etc.--though not bridge, oddly enough, despite the fact that my father quite literally wrote a book on it) and drinking card games, like Asshole and Drunk Driver, both of which are a hoot.

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                    Gloom is another favorite. Each player has a 'family' or group that they try to lower their self-worth and then kill off. Other players try to raise their worth...
                    Sounds hilarious! An anti-emo game! I love it!

Okay, so I have a dark sense of humor. Screw it. I spend plenty of time trying to actually help real people, I have no problem trying to kill off annoying fictional people.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Fluxx, Guillotine and Munchkin are games I like playing.

There is another one called Jungle Speed. It's sort of like snap, and there are occasions when players have to try and grab the totem in the middle of the table. It can get quite lively and there are expansion packs to it

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Okay, so I have a dark sense of humor. Screw it. I spend plenty of time trying to actually help real people, I have no problem trying to kill off annoying fictional people.
                        You want dark? There's another game we play on rare occasions wherein you are a serial/spree killer. You draw random cards for victims, then cards from another deck to find weapons. The more 'important' the victim, the more points you get... high school kids are one point, a certain very high-ranking US government official (not specifically named) is worth ten. First to 20 points wins, giving the others one round to screw with your total (kills can be stolen, victims saved, etc.).

I once won a game by taking out the 10-point character and then committing suicide (a "one last bullet" card) before the others could react.

I don't remember the name of the game, though... the artwork on the cards is nothing but stick figures, if that helps anyone remember the name.

EDIT: Found the name... It's called "Let's Kill".
                        Last edited by El Pollo Guerrera; 12-24-2010, 05:13 AM.
                        "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

You want dark? There's another game we play on rare occasions wherein you are a serial/spree killer. You draw random cards for victims, then cards from another deck to find weapons. The more 'important' the victim, the more points you get... high school kids are one point, a certain very high-ranking US government official (not specifically named) is worth ten. First to 20 points wins, giving the others one round to screw with your total (kills can be stolen, victims saved, etc.).

I once won a game by taking out the 10-point character and then committing suicide (a "one last bullet" card) before the others could react.

I don't remember the name of the game, though... the artwork on the cards is nothing but stick figures, if that helps anyone remember the name.
                          Not one I'm familiar with, and I play a lot of games....

My current list of favorites, not including CCGs:
                          Munchkin, Fluxx, Seasons, Falling, Brawl, Thunderstone, Dominion, Double Euchre, Lost Cities (I consider it a card game, anyway), Scalawags, Chrnonauts, Jungle Speed, Mamma Mia!, Phase 10, Poison...

(as I said, I play a LOT of games.....)
                          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

drinking card games, like Asshole
                            This is a game, huh? Now I know where my neighbor found her current boyfriend...
                            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You want dark? There's another game we play on rare occasions wherein you are a serial/spree killer.
                              That....is.....AWESOME!!!

First to 20 points wins, giving the others one round to screw with your total (kills can be stolen, victims saved, etc.).
                              Now, maybe you left something out, but it doesn't sound like there is any way for the "killer" to be caught. Messed with, messed up, sure, but not caught by the authorities. What kind of "serial killer" game is that? I mean, one of the biggest risks of being a serial killer IS being caught by the law.

That doesn't really count as a serial killer. Sounds more like "lone nut," i.e., Lee Harvey Oswald or John Hinckley. Then again, the game sounds more like it's about killing, rather than being a serial killer.

Found the name... It's called "Let's Kill".
                              Interesting.....very, very interesting.........

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                              This is a game, huh? Now I know where my neighbor found her current boyfriend...
                              It's a drinking game played with cards, that I am sure many of our college-edumacated members have had some experience with.

Short explanation: Each person in the game is given a designation. In the first round, that designation is usually determined by cutting for high card. Highest gets the title of President. Then Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, etc., all the way down to Asshole at the bottom.

Amusingly, I don't remember the exact mechanics of the card game itself. However, I do remember that the goal is to get rid of all your cards, and the first one to do so is the "President" of the next round. Next one out is VP, and so on and so forth, with the last remaining cardholder being the Asshole for the next round.

But this is a drinking game, so there is much hilarity beyond that. For example, anyone in the game can order anyone of a lower rank to do various things (within reason, of course), such as drink, get them munchies, etc. Some people abuse this more than others, as eventually everyone is below someone. Some people use their rank to protect others. Great example, that has happened countless times.....

Secretary: "Asshole, for that comment, you can have a drink!"
                              Asshole drinks.
                              President: "And since we're in such a drinking mood, Secretary, why don't you have TWO drinks."

You get the idea.

Fun game. Pointless if you're not drinking, hilarious if you are.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X