This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing someone this Christmas?

Because I'm finding myself and my boyfriend separated for a month over winter break and I can already tell it's going to the hardest month I've had all year, and I'm shocked by how hard I'm taking this. I've been in a long-distance relationship before, but I guess the difference is that it was an online relationship and we didn't have any physical contact to miss. My boyfriend and I have been basically living together for 3 months - we're college freshmen, so admittedly we're like stupid kids in a candy store when it comes to doing insane things that you could never do in your parents' house. Like living with your significant other.

I'm used to falling asleep in his arms every night and waking up together, and it's physically impossible for me to get to sleep without him next to me, short of exhausting myself til sleep is inevitable.

I miss his compliments and his hugs and his smile. I miss the way he puts my arms up around his neck, puts his arms around my waist and lifts me off my feet for no real reason - and the way that usually turns into spontaneous slow dancing to no music. I miss his hands and how they make mine feel so small. I miss sleeping in his arms or up against his back.

I miss all the mundane things we do together. I miss watching stupid Youtube videos with him and renting movies on the weekends. I miss staying up late just talking in the dark on weeknights and being tired the next morning in class. I miss waking up on Sunday mornings and watching cartoons instead of getting out of bed. I even miss the nights he keeps me awake playing COD or Pokemon.

I've been sleeping in the shirt that I wore the last night we slept together because it smells like him, but it's starting to smell more like boy stank and less like boy smell so I washed it today and now it smells like boring laundry.

I decided to make a winter break calendar so I had a tangible layout of the days to look at and say "hey, that's not so many, I can do this." But once I had the days blocked out, I looked at it and thought "that's so many, I can't do this".

I don't just have to get through Christmas. I have to get through Christmas and New Year's and the first half of January.

All this is made worse by the fact that I didn't get my job back over break, so I'm stuck in my parents' house all month; and all my friends are out-of-state so I don't have anyone to hang out with and distract myself. I don't have a car and I live roughly an hour walk out of town so I literally have nothing to do and I'm sure this is not helping my situation at all.

I text him and talk to him whenever I can. Visiting him is impossible because he's over 10 hours away and I can't do that right now. So I guess that's all I can do. This is going to be such a long month.

Anyone else feel like venting? There have got to be others feeling lonely right now.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Ahhh, I know that feeling well. Minneyar and I started as a long distance couple -- in fact, we met on the internet and knew each other for 10 years before we started dating. We dated for about a year and a half? maybe two years, before I moved in with him. We would visit each other every couple months during the time when we were dating and not living together, and being separated sucked. Do you have other friends/family who you are visiting during the break? Just think about how nice it is to see them now, and try not to dwell too much on how you miss him.

I don't really miss anyone, honestly. I do kinda miss my parents, but I don't miss all the stress and drama that always is associated with Christmas in my family. For the last two days, my mom has called me and vented for over an hour on the phone about what a mess their Christmas plans are. Next year I suggested they come down here instead (just my parents, not the rest of my family who is causing all the stress.) It would be nice to see them and for them to get away from all the drama.

There are a couple of friends back home who I miss too, but no more now than any other time, really. We have a lot of friends down here who we're spending the holidays with, anyway. I feel very blessed to be surrounded by some great people.

Comment

Aw, I hear you. I'm only gone for two weeks but it feels like forever as it is. And I'm used to the ease of subways running 24/7, and here I'm stuck in the suburbs with no car or transit access... blah.

Go download Skype and get a webcam if you don't already have one. Totally worth it. And you guys could watch a movie together online or play games or something (Steam's great, bf and I have been playing L4D2 together since it's Co-op), it'll feel a little more like you're together. I also hand-wrote and mailed letters last time I was out of town cause it made me feel a little bit better.

Good luck! The plus side is that it's over the holidays with stuff going on and not over a summer of nothingness, right?

Comment

I know that feeling all too well - there's 3000 miles separating me and fiance, and that won't change for at least another 3 years, till I finish college. As it is, I've not seen him since LAST Christmas because money was too tight for either of us to take a vacation. I am hopefully going to go see him this June, and it can't come soon enough. Thank God for Skype, or this relationship would NOT last and I'd be a total basket case.
        The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I miss my brother.

He was a year older than me. He was all those things brothers are, or should be - dependable, funny, hard-working, exasperating, crazy in a good way, sometimes annoying, usually goofy. I miss hearing his totally silly one-liners: "I tried snorting Coke, but the bubbles hurt my nose." I miss trading quotes from old shows like the Flintstones, Roger Ramjet, Batman and the Addams Family -we could go back & forth exchanging lines for ages.

I miss the way he could tell you the make, year and engine specs on almost any car he saw. I miss being able to call him about electrical stuff. I miss being able to ask him for a ride home if I got stuck somewhere. I miss sharing memories of things we did as kids, like places we weren't supposed to go but we did.

I miss knowing someone had my back and I didn't always have to be the strong one.

RIP Mark - 3/10/56 - 6/24/08
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

God, you make me feel like such a whiny sap. I desperately miss my BF already, and it's only been a few hours since I saw him, and I was talking to him on the phone not 15 minutes ago.

He goes to school nearby, and spends every weekend at my house, and the thought of not having him for a weekend is driving me crazy. I don't know how I'm going to manage when I go to visit my mother in Florida for a week. It's so hard to fall asleep without him, now that I'm used to sleeping in his arms.

Damn, I am pathetic.
            The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post
              God, you make me feel like such a whiny sap. I desperately miss my BF already, and it's only been a few hours since I saw him, and I was talking to him on the phone not 15 minutes ago.

He goes to school nearby, and spends every weekend at my house, and the thought of not having him for a weekend is driving me crazy. I don't know how I'm going to manage when I go to visit my mother in Florida for a week. It's so hard to fall asleep without him, now that I'm used to sleeping in his arms.

Damn, I am pathetic.
              Consider yourself very lucky. I'd kill to be able to just spend a weekend with my sweetheart. I hope your guy knows that he's a very lucky man too, to have a woman who loves him so much!
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I miss my dog
                If for any reason you're not satisfied with our service, I hate you.

Comment

Quoth DeltaSierra View Post
                  Consider yourself very lucky. I'd kill to be able to just spend a weekend with my sweetheart. I hope your guy knows that he's a very lucky man too, to have a woman who loves him so much!
                  Oh, trust me, I do. And he makes it very clear that he considers himself lucky, too.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I will miss my Mom (she passed away in early Sept.)
                    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I just found out that our friend Johan Husqvar [SCA name] died last night ... e was a member of our Pennsic household, and a long time friend of my roommate.

Christmas is going to really suck for her now.
                      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

It's officially been a week without him and it hasn't gotten any easier to sleep. I'm also sick for the first time all year, I guess from stress.. I never get sick. I miss him so bad.

To everyone who's missing someone they can't have back, I'm so sorry for your loss. At least I get to see my boyfriend again at some point. I'm lucky.

Quoth ArcticChicken View Post

Damn, I am pathetic.
                        You're not pathetic at all.. It's still the same feeling even if you're separated for less time. A week can feel just as long as a month. *hugs*

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

Instead of spending Xmas with the people I really want to, I have to see people I would rather never see again.

My thoughts are with all those who have a sense of loss, not just at this time of year and hugs to everyone who wants one

Comment

Missing at Christmas? Everyone...

It has been an awful year - particularly losing Grandma a few months ago, suddenly. Someone very special to all of us.

Then I got sick.... and still are having a hard time recovering.

Feel like I have been a burden on everyone with this awful-recovery...I am finding myself regressing into a shell somewhat..

So, I will be sitting here by myself, my family is over 3000km away...in my new house, so I don't know my neighbours (and they'll be with their families).

We used to have family days on both Christmas and Boxing Day - these were BIG events... but in the past 4 years, so many have passed away (and a couple seemingly vanished off the face of the Earth), all motivation for these get togethers withered away.

I am just going to sleep Christmas away.

Comment

I miss Fiance terribly....there's so much shit going on at home, and Mom's leaning heavily on me....I want to be able to lean on him instead of having to be the strong one.

And, incredibly, I miss Dad. The fucker.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X