X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh our future is bleak

Just had to share this quick story.

Yesterday while sitting in the engineering library I overheard an argument between two engineering majors. About mathematics. Guy A was saying that 110 x 6 is 660. No arguing right? WRONG. Guy B insisted that 110 x 6 is 0 because '110 ends in a 0 and EVERYONE knows that if a number ends in a 0 the answer is 0.' I was stunned. These are ENGINEERING MAJORS. People who are studying to build buildings, bridges, structures where people's very lives can be at stake. And this guy doesn't know basic math.

I sat for awhile listening to the argument. Yes it was a full argument-going back and forth and loudly escalating.

Why neither genius pulled out a calculator to prove his point I don't know. Maybe they couldn't figure out what that 'ON' button did. When I left almost 15 minutes later they were still fighting.

Oh my head. Oh our future.

Quoth DaisyQueen View Post
    Guy B insisted that 110 x 6 is 0 because '110 ends in a 0 and EVERYONE knows that if a number ends in a 0 the answer is 0.'
    I...abd....*twitch*... uhm, excuse me for a moment...

Oh, yesh, I shee wha' he meansh now it makesh perfec-*hic*- shenshe- *thud*
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Math major: π r²!
      Eng major: Nuh uh! Pie r round. Cake r square! QBD!
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Holy sh*t, even I know better than that.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Well, they weren't GRADUATE engineering majors... and likely never will be.... anyone can sign up for the class.... passing it is another matter.
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            Math major: π r²!
            Eng major: Nuh uh! Pie r round. Cake r square! QBD!
            No no wait, Pie r round, Cake r Lie and Cornbread r Square
            The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              No no wait, Pie r round, Cake r Lie and Cornbread r Square
              I'll accept your version. After all, you are from the south.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

These are the people who send me blueprints for parts that they need made.

Parts that are vital to making metal tubes fly.
                Parts that are vital to make thingamajigs spin really fast so that I can recharge my cell phone.
                Parts that are vital to make machines that suck out and clean peoples blood.
                Parts that are vital to EVERYTHING IN OUR SOCIETY!!!

*runs and hids under blanket, because crazy monsters can not get me there*
                I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

When guy B flunks out and gets a non-engineering job, I hope he tells his boss about his theory of arithmetic. Boss would be glad to offer him $20/hour, since $20 ends in a zero, so no matter how many hours he works his paycheque would always be $0.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Wow. I'm crap at math and even I know better than that!!

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      I'll accept your version. After all, you are from the south.
                      I read it on here somewhere. I'm not THAT south. (I've never actually tried cornbread)
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth DaisyQueen View Post
                        Guy B insisted that 110 x 6 is 0 because '110 ends in a 0 and EVERYONE knows that if a number ends in a 0 the answer is 0.'
                        Bergholt Stuttley Johnson? Is that you?!
                        Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

O.O Surely, at least one of them was drunk?
                          Right?
                          O.O
                          Is it Asshole Day or what? - MoonCat
                          It's ALWAYS Asshole Day. - Jay2KWinger

Comment

Working...
                          X