This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st gen iPad

I got a 1st gen iPad a few days ago. The system's upgraded as far as it can go (iOS 5.1.1), but everything in the store seems to want at least iOS 9. I'd like to be able to use this thing for more than just internet, books, and music, but I can't get "modern" software to install.

Anyone have any idea how I can make this beast usable? Or know of online archives similar to oldversion.com that collect iOS software?

(If it matters, I'll be jailbreaking it in the next day or so.)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

There's no archives of iOS apps that I'm aware of because there's no easy way to install them if they're not in the Apple Store. They used to keep all iterations of an app from the first time it was listed on the Store, but with the sheer number of available apps nowadays they've been routinely cleaning out much older versions at least from the search system if not deleting them entirely - it's still sometimes possible to reinstall something you've previously had on your device, but starting from scratch the selection is severely limited and there's no easy way to look for anything that might support older versions of iOS.

Jailbreaking is probably going to be your only chance of getting anything on there, and even that's been winding down a lot... My old (and tiny!) 3GS may finally have to be put out of its misery, the battery life's recently taken a nosedive anyway so I'm not too cut up about it but it was a small source of pride to still have one in fully working order even if I didn't rely on it as my primary phone.
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Keep in mind that the big A has openly admitted to the existence of one of their more significant "features" (and yes, they consider this to be a plus): The fact that more recent updates intentionally slow down the hardware on older units (either 2 or 3 years after launch date).
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Well, I found a few useful things.

First off, there's a site called FindOldApps.com which is dedicated to people with my specific issue (apps for older iOS versions, up to 7.1.2) and keeps a list of apps that'll work with old systems. Lifewire.com and HowToGeek (and probably other sites) have articles which describe the process. (Basically, get the app on another device using the same Apple ID, then try to download on the iPad. If there's a compatible version available, the iPad will ask if you want that instead.)

I've done some playing around with my toy, and what is and isn't included is... interesting. For example, there's a built-in YouTube app (that doesn't really work with modern YouTube, sigh) but no calculator. Guess which one would benefit me more in my day-to-day life? And the built-in Maps app is potentially useful as an alternative to Google maps (which I use the hell out of) but I don't know if it needs an internet connection to function properly. (Haven't tested yet; this model is wifi-only.)
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd

Comment

I think there's possibly a way to force Maps to download some area data, but generally it streams what's required.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Dang. I just switched cell service back to the chirping bug and I have to pay extra to enable to wifi hotspot... so that's a no.

Comment

Working...
            X