This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was sort of the sucky customer

Background: On bank holiday Monday I went to the local McDonald's drive-through for breakfast while my sister did the weekly shop (it gave me another half-hour in bed). I can't go in to help her as someone needs to dog-sit (hot day, won't leave the dog alone in the car/house). /background.

I go through the drive-through, give my order (2 x bacon rolls (1 for the dog), no sauce, medium Oasis, water for the dog), go to the next window, confirm my order, pay, go to the next window to collect my order.

As I pull up, the lady asks me what my order was, and I repeat it. Fair enough, they're busy. She hands me the drinks, confirms the food order, and heads off for the food.

She comes back to the window for a second time to confirm my food order (yes, 2 bacon rolls with no sauce) and leaves again.

She comes back to the window for the 3rd and final time and gives me a bag of food. I don't check it there and then (mia culpa!) as I'm trying to keep the dog's nose out of it while I shove it behind his seat out of his reach. I drive off and head to the nearby park.

We get to the park, I get the dog out, get all my bits out (blanket, bowl for the dog to drink out of, etc.) and head for our favourite group of shady trees. Settle down, put the dog on the long lead so he can roam around if he wants, and start to unpack breakfast.

Ah. Slight problem. I've been given someone else's order. Instead of 2 bacon rolls (no sauce) I had:

- 2 x breakfast wraps.
    - 1 x hash brown.
    - 1 x cheese and bacon flatbread.

I briefly considered packing everything back up and going back to return it and get my correct order, but didn't as:

1) it would be very hard to persuade the dog to get back into the car without a good run around and some food.
    2) (the sucky part) I really, really couldn't be bothered. I'd confirmed my order multiple times, so it's not my fault she didn't pick up the right bag, plus
    3) the food would be chucked in the bin anyway (as my order probably had been at this point) and I hate wasting food.

The breakfast wraps (of which I ate approx. 1.5, the rest going to Toby) were delicious, as was the hash brown (which I didn't share as it had onions in, and yes, I picked the hash brown out of the bits of wrap I fed the dog). Toby got the flatbread, and enjoyed it immensely.

So, mia culpa, please level your sentence on my minor suckiness.
    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

You didn't suck. It's not your fault you received the wrong (better) order, and you're under no obligation to return it at that point - they'd only bin it anyway and why waste what's already been made?
    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

I think it was more the fact that I really couldn't be bothered to return it, and then worked out why it was reasonable for me not to after the fact. Made me feel a bit guilty.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

NTA. You confirmed your order several times, even when sitting there at the window. While it might have been nice for you to have checked before leaving, there is no obligation to go back. Even if it didn't involve wasting food to do that.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

At that point, once you've already left the place, going back to return it would have been the more sucky response, and furthermore would have been literally going out of your way to be confrontational.

Once you're clear of the premises, the thing to do about a botched order is to file a complaint by phone or letter (or these days, E-mail). ETA: The account-of-events from your post would make a perfectly good complaint letter, maybe trimmed a bit and without the apologetic tone.

Comment

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
            The account-of-events from your post would make a perfectly good complaint letter, maybe trimmed a bit and without the apologetic tone.
            Not a complaint. Feedback. That way, they can properly retrain employees. If they don't know there is a problem, they can't fix it.
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
              Not a complaint. Feedback. That way, they can properly retrain employees. If they don't know there is a problem, they can't fix it.
              Complaints are feedback, and yes, feedback is needed.

Comment

Letting something go isn't sucky. You're in the clear.
                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Nah, not sucky at all. "Sucky" would have been you screaming and yelling at the staffer in the window, and demanding compensation, and alla that good stuff.

Regardless of whose fault it was, it definitely wasn't yours. You were under no obligation whatever at that point to stuff the doggie back in the car and drive back there to get your correct order. Glad to hear that you enjoyed (most of) the unexpected windfall.
                  Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                  ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I had this happen to me once. I went to get lunch while at work and timed it bad so I was stuck behind some group out for lunch. I get my bag and find it was a chicken sandwich instead of my usual burger. I didn't have time to mess around so I just ate it. Wasn't a big deal to me. Hopefully whoever got my sandwich was also understanding.
                    I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

On the upside, I now know that the breakfast wraps are actually rather nice, so I might plump for one if I'm in a similar situation in the future.

Comment

Working...
                      X