This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That synchronicity topic.

This topic is going to incite a lot of skepticism, and I can certainly and absolutely understand why. I would myself, were it any quantity of this phenomenon within reason. Otherwise, a topic must be made.

Has it ever happened to you that a certain number, phrase, or event suddenly pops up more often than it used to, or to such a degree that it's difficult not to notice it?

The simplest explanation is that when a number occurs more than once, you remember the first time it happened because it happened more than once. Then when it happens a third or fourth time, you remember that feeling of remembering the first time, so it snowballs. Then it's like a meme in your life.

That's all well and good, and as I said, natural and understandable. But that's not the stuff I'm talking about.

Lately, plastered all over Facebook and offline places and other forums I go to, people are starting topics like this. It feels like the rate of synchronicity in life is increasing.

There was a week a few months ago where any time a group of people I was with started to talk about a person, they would walk into the room for unrelated reasons. Once or twice, I can understand. But there came a point where we had to start keeping track of it. My friend at work and I have named it "The week of WTF." Seventeen times in four days. He does not keep his walkie-talkie on him (too lazy to.) for anyone to warn him of his approach, nor are we able to see or hear around the corner to see who is approaching, nor do they have a set schedule to be walking around that corner. We talked about them, and they walked in. That's it. Seventeen times in four days in one week.

---------------

Then there was that time when the bulb in the kitchen went out, and I had to change it before I left for work. Then the bulb in the hallway outside the restrooms at work went out, and I had to change that. Then the old man whose computer I fix (monthly. Yep, monthly. oh boy.) had his lights (the same kind: 4' fluorescents.) go out in his own kitchen. I had to go back to the hardware store I work in to get some more bulbs. While standing in line, the person ahead of me was getting the same kind of bulb, and had also gotten keys cut. I'm a keycutter in the same store, something which I highly enjoy doing.

---------------

I also have a thing with cats being a large part of my life. I happen to like dogs a bit more than cats, for what it's worth, but cats are still in more "important" places than dogs. I'm walking with my dad to pick up my uncle who is in a wheelchair so we can go to our weekend religious institution, and we're having a conversation about a new router we just got.

Dad: "..... so we're going to hook up a"
    Me: *interrupting, under my breath* "Oh look, a cat across the street."
    Dad: "Cat-5 cable to the router,"
    Me: "Whoah, ... trippy."

Then one of my High School friends who lives near my uncle walks out of her house, and she's wearing her Bastet (Who is a cat goddess) necklace around her neck. We say hello, and continue walking to my uncle, who takes care of stray cats, all of which were gathered on their front lawn, just looking out at the sky. First time I've ever seen all of them but the black cat outside the house.

------------------

What about you guys? Any interesting synchronicity in your lives?
    SC: "Are you new or something?"
    Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Some of it is confirmation bias. Like when you get a new car and you suddenly notice that they're all over the place.

But I, too, have actually kept logs and gotten statistically anomalous results for a statistically anomalous number of events such as you mention.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Some of it is confirmation bias. Like when you get a new car and you suddenly notice that they're all over the place.
      My car-related bias was some time last month, when I had a rather bizarre customer, and saw him walk off into the first and only bronze-colored car I've ever seen before. After that, I've been seeing bronze colored cars (Even cars of that exact same make and model) on the road, at least once or twice a day, whereas I've never ever seen a car of that color before. I mean it's an interesting color. It's something I would have noticed without the visual association of that customer to that car, like seeing a rainbow colored turtle. The turtle doesn't have to be doing the electric slide for it to be interesting that it's rainbow-colored, yeh?
      SC: "Are you new or something?"
      Me: "Yes. Your planet is very backwards I hope you realize."

Comment

I've been seeing tomato-soup colored cars, myself.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Amusingly enough, my first car was bronze colored. 1974 Pontiac Ventura hatchback.

For me, it isn't so much numbers or anything like that. I have a tendency toward something I call "Radiomancy." It's the idea that the perfect song comes on the radio at the most appropriate time.

Example: When I was dating my ex-GF (and one time fiancee) long distance, every time (and I do mean every time) I left her town after visiting, the first song that came on the radio after getting in the car was Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light." After we broke up, she got married to some guy she knew after getting pregnant. I went down to help her move to a new apartment and check on her. When I left, the first song on the radio was Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers." (I hand't tuned it to a country station, either.)

Today was a good one too. Mrs. Crossbow had just shut down her computer at work to go home. the song that comes on her mp3 shuffle as she's walking out the door? 'Run, Run Away."
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Working...
          X