Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The vet we talked to this week (not his regular vet; I now wonder if the regular vet knew more about his history and quoted a higher price) said that the family wanted to board him there back when his owner went into hospital. They don't board animals that haven't had a recent lab workup; obviously there are issues with boarding a pet whose health history is unknown. The daughter didn't want the labs done Luckily our friend brought him back the next day and demanded they be done...I assume that the boarding was going to cost extra due to his needs, so that's why he wasn't brought there to begin with.

He met me at the door when I got home and is on my bed now (I had to put catnip on the quilt to entice him up there) cleaning himself and I think he managed to pull out the last matted bit of fur on his belly. Purring up a storm
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Update

I haz moar pics! He's quite a bit floofier and we got some Nutrical; he's not spontaneously licking it off our fingers/sticking his face in the tube like McGriff would, but he is getting it. The backs of his ears are slightly 'bald'; they don't seem irritated and there's no discharge, so it could be from when before we clipped his nails (we were told that he absolutely hates having his nails trimmed, yet mom and I were easily able to do it).

We were able to get him in for a vet visit, and were told that his kidney and thyroid are good and all he needs is maintenance (meds/food) at this point.

(Mom has two pillows at the head of her bed stacked together; he's figured out how to push one of them down and get in between). I bought a plastic ball that you fill with treats (the ball has one hole just large enough for a treat to fall through, but not large enough to get a paw into) and he's supposed to figure out how to get them out. Most cats would just bat at it, but he'll push it around with his nose very slowly and deliberately until a treat comes out One thing we did notice is that he prefers his gooshyfood cold.

We might be keeping him for a bit longer; his owner came home from the hospital on Friday but went back in that night. Our friend says that the family may put her in a home, in which case we would need to take him permanently or the friend will. The only thing that would prevent us from taking him permanently is that we can't afford further vet bills.
      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

That last pic have the look of "Gimmie 5 more mins".
        also, a very beutiful cat ^^
        (Why yes, i do like cats, more so than people)

Comment

Cats (and dogs) generally make far more sense to me than people do most of the time

I took 2 versions of the second picture; one without the camera flash and one with. The one without the flash came out too dark, so the one I posted is with flash. I didn't notice until I looked at both of them side-by-side that he just has the paw over the face in the one with the flash
          Last edited by Dreamstalker; 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Regardless of whether the owner comes home or goes to a nursing home, I think it's time kitty found a new home. The owner can't take care of herself, much less a cat.

You did a good thing by taking him in. He's a very pretty boy. I hope you can find him a proper home. The vet might know someone who could help who's willing to take a special needs cat.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Our building is technically no-pets, so one stumbling block to us taking him for good is that one of us would need to be home if maintenance shows up...also, we can't afford further vet bills. I know the friend would prefer that Murphy be taken by someone the owner knows, which pretty much limits the field to her or us. That topic is bound to come up at some point.

Mom has discovered what she calls 'feline hypnosis'. Murphy gets small matted bits under his front legs; while trying to brush/cut them out last night we found that if he's being scritched right at his 'underarms' he will go completely limp in someone's lap and start purring like crazy.

Comment

Welp, Murphy was returned to his owner yesterday *is sad* although we suspect we'll be called on again. She has 2 or 3 different nurses coming in now (24-hour care), and although I did type up a detailed care sheet and we showed one nurse how to administer the meds I have some doubts as to whether he'll actually be getting the regimen he needs; too many people involved and we only know one of them. His owner may well wind up in a home, and I don't know whether a special-needs kitty would be allowed. It's clear she was extremely happy to see him (she knew the state of affairs when we rescued him) and grateful for our help.

Mom did take him in to be weighed just before we returned him, and the vet knows exactly what's going on. As to whether any cruelty charges would be filed, we're not quite sure against who (it seems that the active neglect is on the family--when we needed to take him in for blood/kidney labs the daughter called me and said "I'm paying for this [no you're not] and I say he doesn't have to go to the vet") or even if we should get ourselves involved, although I think both ethically and legally we now have an obligation to report the suspected abuse.

Comment

Working...
                X