This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
    I have to say, it was pretty damn awkward that time I grabbed dinner from the Chinese buffet across the parking lot, glanced at the wall, and saw one of my managers listed on their "do not take checks from these people" list.
    In the town my family used to live in, one of the two grocery stores had a list like that......not sure if it was sad or amusing that I recognized some of the names.

Comment

Quoth KellyHabersham View Post
      In the town my family used to live in, one of the two grocery stores had a list like that......not sure if it was sad or amusing that I recognized some of the names.
      We had one of those lists back on Phillips Avenue . . . quite an awkward moment when I saw the mother of one of my coworkers on the list.

Poor kid, he was forever paying off her checks it seemed. As soon as he had enough money saved up, he moved out.

Interestingly, I saw one of his brothers just this past week (works for one of the wine distributors) and former coworker is still working for window company he left WD for and is married w/2 kids now and doing fine.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I have to say, it was pretty damn awkward that time I grabbed dinner from the Chinese buffet across the parking lot, glanced at the wall, and saw one of my managers listed on their "do not take checks from these people" list.
        Were any of these other names listed...?

Comment

AVAST! We don't take checks from the following scurvy buccaneers!
          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Next time, take the check John wrote to the bank where he has the account and cash it instead of depositing it and you won't have a problem (if the funds are there), dummy.

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
              Next time, take the check John wrote to the bank where he has the account and cash it instead of depositing it and you won't have a problem (if the funds are there), dummy.
              My mom used to do that with one of the clients she cleaned house for - bank was right on the way home and she'd use the drive thru to get it cashed, then either put the cash in our account at our bank or hold onto the cash for Saturday morning yard sales.

That way we didn't have to stop by the bank late on Friday after work when the lines would be much longer to get our ones and fives for the weekend.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth strawbabies View Post
                I always do this with one of my customers. Late Spouse worked at a bank for many years and suggested this as the best method for avoiding bounced check charges.

if someone owes you a lot, he suggested you ask for several checks that add up to the desired amount. Dumbass may hardly ever have $150 in his account all at once, but he may have $50 on a regular basis.

Comment

Quoth moneybags View Post
                  SC: no, no, no.....John told me that check was good.
                  She expected John to tell her if the check was bad?!
                  Quoth moneybags View Post
                  SC: you stole my fuckin money. I am getting my lawyer. (she starts crying). Thanks for nothing, shithead
                  She should've said that to John...
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                    She expected John to tell her if the check was bad?! She should've said that to John...
                    Why didn't she? Because it's easier to yell at an anonymous person on the phone than the guy she shtoiked for that check.
                    πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

Quoth eltf177 View Post
                      Or have cases that any sane lawyer would laugh at, after charging them a fee of course...
                      If I was a lawyer, I wouldn't charge a fee for that. One, it would be worth doing it for free just to see the look on her face whn she realizes she has no case, and two, it would take well under an hour to figure that out.

Comment

SH - If I were a lawyer...Well, it really depends on her attitude when she came to me If she was acting like a normal human being, I'd explain the situation pro bono. If she treated me like she treated the OP...Well, I'd charge her in advance. In cash. THEN I'd tell her she has no case, and sweetly ask if there's anything else I can help her with, with the 58 minutes she has left...
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          Why is it the people who threaten you with lawyers the most seem the least likely to be able to afford their services?
                          It's their way of trying to get what they want. They're unaware that we're on to the whole "I'll call a lawyer!!" thing, and it's nothing more than an empty threat.

The SCs think if they say the word "lawyer" that the lowly employee will be scared and give in to whatever ludicrous demands the SC wants. "Change the laws of physics or I'll call my lawyer, and he'll make you change them!!!"

I'm waiting on someone to get a stack of business cards from a local lawyer. Then, wait for some SC to play the "I'll call a lawyer!!" card, and just hand them the business card and say, "Go right ahead..."
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

A variation of threatening to call the police. They seem to believe that a lawyer will act as their personal bully.
                            IANAL, but it sounds like the SC in the OP has the strongest case against the check writer. IIRC, the former franchise owner complained of spending too much off-season time in small-claims court due to bouncies.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Was his name John?
                              "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                                I'm waiting on someone to get a stack of business cards from a local lawyer. Then, wait for some SC to play the "I'll call a lawyer!!" card, and just hand them the business card and say, "Go right ahead..."
                                Oooooooooh, I like that one. I'll get some from my lawyer; he requires a minimum $3500 retainer to start working.

No, on second thought, I won't do that to him. I'd hate to waste his time with this sort of crap... but I know a couple ambulance chasers...

...wait, that's a bad idea, they might actually accept the case.
                                Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                                OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                                she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                                Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                                X